Ammo found in yard - identification?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Maveou, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Maveou

Maveou New Member

My mother found this buried about a foot under the ground while gardening. I'm not sure what it is, the end is crimped all the way around, and the 'primer pocket' looks like it has been struck, but casing is corroded badly and cannot make out anything. I tried to take a pic, sorry for the fuzziness...and thanks for any help guys!

[​IMG]

2. redscho

redscho New Member

30-06 blank maybe?

3. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

It looks like the case neck got squished or it may be a blank like redscho said

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

It is a blank, Way to small for .30-06. People used them to scare off birds years ago.

5. Maveou

Maveou New Member

Ah that's a relief. I couldn't tell if it was live or not because of the squished end, but I am guessing it still could be live if the end is squished and it's a blank.... Perfectly crimped all the way around. (Sorry for the bad photo) Thanks guys! (My Dad was in Vietnam and had brought back ammo boxes, and empty gun cartridges on a belt, several of those.. that is what I figured it was from, guess not!)

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

it could easily still be live.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Could be a 5.56 or .223 blank. Do be careful, a blank can still cause injury.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i concur. looks to be a .223/5.56 blank