Ammo for Colt 1903 Hammerless

Discussion in 'Blog Forum' started by Faffie, Dec 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Faffie

Faffie New Member

I inherited my grandmother's 1903 colt hammerless 32 caliber pistol and am wondering if I can use the Remington UMC centerfire 32 cartridges my husband bought me. Do I have to use only apc rounds? The Remingtons are centerfire fmj. I've been searching the internet on this and it may just be such a stupid question nobody else has ever had the need to ask it.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_ACP

There are dozens of different .32 cartridges. The two most common are the .32 S&W, which is a RIMMED revolver cartridge, and the .32 ACP, which is a semi-rimmed cartridge for automatic pistols. Your pistol needs the .32 Auto (aka .32 Automatic Colt Pistol or ACP) also in ancient times called the .32 smokeless rimless. Click on the link I posted above for a look at the cartridge.

BTW, ACP does not mean that the ammo is made by Colt- they just had the privilege of naming it way back when.

And this is a link to the manual on your pistol, courtesy of Steve's Pages-
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_32_&_.380_hammerless.pdf

303tom likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

And use FMJ. Most older autos won't feed hollow points.

4. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

The M1903 Colt made pistol is made for .32 ACP (Autoloading Colt Pistol). Oddly, this applies to many rounds intended for use in Colt manufactured pistols designed by John Browning. .32 ACP, .380 ACP, 38 ACP, [different!] Super .38 [variation of .38 ACP, .45 ACP, and possibly something I've missed. In Europe these are known (and marked) as 7.65mm Browning, 9mm Kurz/Corto/Short, and the rest is not particular widely used - historically - in Europe.

The specific round for the M1903 is variously called the .32 ACP, 7.65mm Browning, 7.65x17mm, and sometimes .32 Auto.

Various makers use somewhat different bullet weights. The 'standard' bullet weight is 71 grains. However, different makers use 72, 73, and 74 grain bullets. No real difference. The 'standard' advertised (emphasis on 'advertised) muzzle velocity is 900 fps. I've seen some European ammunition claim a 73 grain bullet at over a 1000 fps. (Haven't chronographed that ammo yet.) Some U. S. companies market a sixty grain hollow point at over a thousand FPS. I'm not impressed, the bullets are light enough as it is.

The point is, all those variations are 'safe' in the 1903 pistol. That is, the pressure should not be dangerous in the sense of blowups, broken extractors or bulges in the chamber or bore. The hollow points may or may not feed and chamber easily. The sights - should one give a hoot - on the 1903 are regulated for the 71grain/900 fps load. More or less.

I collect old pistols in this caliber. None of them seem to generate much recoil (heavier pistols have less recoil normally) but they are quite loud.

sheriffjohn and c3shooter like this.
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Old Man- ever load any .32 gallery loads? Single pellet of size 0 buckshot, press fit, very light load of Bullseye. Fairly quiet, cheap.

6. Faffie

Faffie New Member

Thanks for the response--very informative!