Ammo flying off the shelves.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Ghost1958, May 3, 2020.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

I went to pickup my daughter some 40 SW at rural king today as well as get some .45 and 556 stocked up.

40 SW in WWB fmj 50 rd box 30.00 dollars a box!!!!
    Needless to say I didnt buy any but it was selling fast.
    556 had went up a buck on a 50 rd box and its getting scarce do I picked up a few boxes and some. 45 acp at normal price as usual

9mm can't be found and is 18 bucks per 50 fmj when it can.

Guns pistols and AR 15s selling as fast as they get em in.

Never saw firearms and ammo sell this crazy even under obambo.

Seriously considering getting press and loading my own 223. 45 and 9mm

towboater likes this.
  2. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I reload glad i made the switch. Some powders are getting tough to get, I couldn't get red dot or unique my last trip to the LGS. So i got a new powder to me, Loaded some 45 acp with it yesterday. Today shot 50 rounds in my 1911. Very happy with the results. Accuarge and clean no leading.
    DSCF8401.JPG

Shopfox, OLD Ron, Caveman Jim and 2 others like this.

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Been this way over vast areas of the US for 6 weeks or so now. Hard to even find cases of ammo online. When you do, man they are proud of it.

4. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

should/could have stocked up long before this?

5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

if you believe that reloading components and powders won't succumb to panic buying and higher prices and shortages, you're kidding yourself.

should have did what I and a lot of people have done, and that is to buy it "cheap and stock it deeeeep". when the gun/ammo market was flat and sites were offering cheaper prices then the other guy, is when I bought mine. it was a "buyer's market" for a very long time. that's the time to buy ammo in bulk for cheap or as close to cheap as possible. buying ammo when there is a panic buy and prices are "going through the roof" isn't a time to buy .

I learned that little lesson about buying cheap and stack it deep after the first panic buy, more then 10-15 years ago

now I'm sitting on a stock pile like king midis, and just laughing at everyone else whining about shortages and prices of ammo :D

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Oldoutlaw, Mongo, sheriffjohn and 3 others like this.
  6. Ghost1958

Well I had sort of done that with 9mm and sks ammo
    But after some really good trades now I have a 9mm still. But also an AR15 and a 45 acp that I had no need of ammo for before.
    I'm still in pretty decent shape with close to 1000 rds for each gun plus shotguns .

I also have about 4 lbs of powder in unopened containers from back when I was planning to reload before the wife became ill.

I remember not being able to get powder etc or ammo but I have most of the stuff I need except bullets and a press.
    I just couldn't believe 30 bucks for 50 rds of fmj fotay.

OLD Ron and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. Ghost1958

I did, but then traded guns . Also traded out ammo so I've got around 1000 rds for each weapon.
    Just still adding to it.

Shopfox, OLD Ron and towboater like this.
  8. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I did buy it cheap and stack it deep after the first Tuesday of November, 2012.

It still out there though, you just have to shop a little harder.

45 acp (3).jpg

Mister Dave, manta, OLD Ron and 2 others like this.
  9. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I just made sure that I stocked up on components a month before TPTB went ape-****. I reload all my ammo and have not bought factory ammo for 5 years...

towboater, OLD Ron and Ghost1958 like this.
  10. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I am set for the next 10 years ...... finding time to shoot is the bigger problem . I have some that dates back to when outlaw was under age buying beer ! :p

11. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Plenty of ammo, no one to shoot with. Sporting Clays is operating "by appointment" - reserve your shooting time to social distance. 100-mile drive one-way. Not happening.

New guns bought our of boredom during lockdown. Who do I show them to?

Set up "Champion" steel targets yesterday - 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards using their "T-post" clamp system which worked great. Two electric traps ready to go for clay pigeons.
    Model 42 winchester .410 repaired buttstock back from gunsmith, ready to go. New-to-me Tennessee Mountain flintlock .50 test-fired, ready to be sighted in after several days de-rusting, etc.

Now, my only credible witness, Roscoe (Bassett Hound) has developed gunshy virus. First shot he's through the dog door, back in the house. Might be time to go Tannerite fishing.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  12. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

In the year following the 2016 election, I recall 9mm 50rd boxes going for $6.50 to $8 a box, give or take. Hadn't seen prices as low as $6/bx since the mid-'90s.

A couple of local shops I've been to are also having issues, with sidearms and ammo. Goes out nearly as fast as it comes in, with most guns, and with "the good stuff" (ie, defensive and 'quality plinking') ammo.

towboater and Ghost1958 like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

9mm Blazer in Brass was recently $9 box of 50 then when covid came $10

14. sheepdawg

Here's a picture of an underage outlaw fixing to sneak into the beer joint to meet his connection.
    beer.jpg

15. sheepdawg

I was looking for some 357 to give my GP100 a workout and found another 30 cal can full of 45 a.c.p. [​IMG]

16. Oldoutlaw

See ! I been telling ya for years now. You are an old Dog and Senile. The above statement you made just proves me right Mike!

tenorbiggrin.gif

17. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

Pictures work for me. Post away!

towboater likes this.
  18. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Well-Known Member

This is actually a much needed cash infusion for the firearms industry.

After reelection prices will crater again. Then you should make sure you can make it through any future shortages by stocking up while it is cheap.

towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  19. Oldoutlaw

Yea, right. This is far more than any election year shortage I have ever seen. Far more to it this time!

Stocking up advice? Ha ! Majority of gun owners have never listened before and will not now. They just sit at the key board and complain about prices and shortages. Every single time. For over 12 years now we have had record low ammo prices, but few actually stocked up for any future shortage.

I am really tired of the complaints about ammo. No ammo? Your frikkin problem.
    Now suck it up Buttercup!

20. sheepdawg

But I'm a happy senile right now Steve. 750 rounds give or take of 45 a.c.p. fit loose in a 30 cal. can. My Colt 1911 and Sig P220 will be well fed.

towboater and OLD Ron like this.