Ammo Failure?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Fred_G, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

Took my Shield to the range for the first time today. Shot great, until round #55 got stuck. Round 54 fired and ejected normally, the gun did not go fully into battery. Slid the slide back, and a case came out, no bullet, primer not hit. The bullet was stuck in the chamber.

Got the bullet out easily. So, what happened? There was unburned powder in the gun. I hope this is the right section for this. Was factory Blazer ammo.

Attached Files:

2. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

factory crimp not tight causing bullet to fall out after it was chambered, bad ammo

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

Thanks, makes sense.

4. mseric

mseric New Member

The crimp on a 9mm is Not used to secure the bullet. Neck tension does that and the crimp is only used to remove the flare plus a thou or two more.

Even with NO crimp at all the bullet should not fall out of the case or get stuck in the barrel.

It ain't the crimp, what it is, I duno.

5. FishinLuke

FishinLuke New Member

Bullet not seated correctly, along with a tight fit at the lands and grooves on the bullet, and the extractor pulls the case off the bullet. :confused:

That's about the only way I can conceive of that happening without the primer struck and unburned powder in the chamber.

Maybe there's a burr that is engaging the bullet keeping it from unchambering with the case? Try putting a cartridge into battery and clearing it, see if it wants to hang up or if it's smooth.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

No, the Blazer uses a plated bullet. The bullet got skwampus during the loading process at the factory. Note the shaved area. A small amount of lead/plating got forced forward of the case mouth and stuck in the throat of the chamber. QC simply did not catch it. Don't sweat it. You probably will never see anythin glike it agin in 10 years of shooting the same ammo.

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Can't help with the problem but you might want to send those pictures to the ammo mfg and see what they might have to say. Assume that is new factory ammo.

8. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I second the suggestion of informing the manufacturer.

If you have the end flap with the lot number, then all the better.

If the bullet was exceeding case over all length, then the round may not have fully headspaced on the rim, leaving the case head slightly protruding.
    Many slides can detect the round protruding and not full release the firing mechanisms. Many internal safety mechanisms require a fully seated cartridge with the slide full seated (in battery) before the firing pin assembly can properly release the firing pin.

The force of the slide could easily press the bullet into the lands, held forward by the slight ridge of the deformed bullet. Slide Recoil spings have quite a big of force. If the force was sufficient to lodge the bullet in the lands, and overcome the neck tension during extraction, then this all makes sense.

I concur that the plated bullet was not seated properly, most likely due to an insufficient case mouth belling. Something on the line wasn't quite right.

Because of this, it would be nice to inform the manufacturer to assist in their data gathering.

While the changes are slim, A subsequent round could be chambered forcing the lodged bullet even farther. If a routine clearing was performed without watching closely, one may miss that the case was unfired, contained powder and no bullet.

Just my rambling thoughts . . Happy New Year..

9. BtDoctur

BtDoctur New Member

I`d take a guess and say the OAL was way off. slide came foward and pushed the bullet into the rifling preventing a complete slide closure.

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

I sent Blazer an email, they are closed until next week for Christmas and New Years. So I would expect it to be a bit before they respond. I have the box with the other 45 rounds, and all ID info.

There are no burs visible to the naked eye, and if I take the barrel out, I can put a round in, and turn it, it falls out when you rotate the barrel.

I was kinda freaked out, never seen this type of failure. Would really suck in a self defense situation. But I don't use Blazer Brass for SD...

11. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

It is strange that the primer does not show being hit. Can you look inside the case and determine if the primer has been expended? As BtDoctur indicates something kept the slide from closing, firing pin not making contact but where did the powder go?

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

The unburned powder dumped into the gun when I pulled the slide back and ejected the brass? I don't how to tell if a primer is good or not. I just know this one did not get hit by the firing pin. Camera batteries are charging. Will see if I can get a shot inside the brass. There was some unburned powder on the side of the feed ramp, slide and frame.

Best picture of the inside of the case I can do.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  13. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Do have the lot number of the Blazer Brass ammunition? I have a few boxes and need to check them over.

Thanks!

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

F10U4 is the only number I see on it.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

CCI manufactures millions of rounds of 9mm ammo. Some bad apples are bound to slip through. I would write CCI if that makes you feel better. But I am on of the ones that say there is nothing wrong with your gun or that lot of ammo. You got a bad cartridge, plain and simple. Everyone gets a dud if they shoot enough factory ammo.

16. robocop10mm

Refer to post #6. I have seen this several times with lead and plated bullets. High volume loading machines occasionally hiccup. The QC process catches 99.9% of these hiccups. This one slipped through. The slight burr on the bullet forward of the case mouth is what caught on the rifling, not an over length round.

The primer did not fire as the gun was significantly out of battery because of the defect.

17. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

My post above covered most of this.
    An internal safety would prevent the firing pin dropping with the slide not completely closed.

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

The round was not fired so no reason for the primer to be hit. Failure to go into battery was the jam, not a fired round.

Sorry if I was not clear.

Powder dumped into the gun.

19. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Found 1 of the boxes from the 5 I did purchase a while back, it begins with D series lot number. Will monitor when firing Blazer Brass.

I have come across some federal and Winchester ammo with no power, just by the weight of the bullet!

Again thanks.

20. robocop10mm

Judging powder status by the weight of the loaded cartridge is very unreliable in many handgun calibers. The powder might only weigh 4-5 grains, but the case weight or bullet weight can vary that much.