ammo choice

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by ndtiger, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ndtiger

ndtiger New Member

My XDM .40 caliber will be here Monday. What do you guys recommend to feed it?

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

For target practice? Personal defense? Home defense? Depends on your needs.

3. ndtiger

ndtiger New Member

looking for a round for defense and stopping power. One with minimum recoil but still has a punch.

4. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

A lot. Everything. Once you get her broke in, she'll tell you what she wants! :D

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That XD will eat anything you feed it. Try a few different bullets and see what works best for you. I'm a Federal fan, I carry HSTs, give them a look and I think you'll be impressed.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

For practice shooting, my XD45 has seemed satisfied with Aguilla, Blazer, UMC, and another that i can't recall. For defense, I have some federal hollowpoints loaded.

7. chopkick

chopkick New Member

I too, am a huge Hornady fan. My choice for self-defense is TAP ammo. Excellent round.

551804.jpg

8. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Have to agree with the bunch here. It will let you know what it likes best, but for my flavors:

Hornady TAP
    Critical Defense

Federal HST

Corbon DPX

Win PDX

Slo

9. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Yep XDs eat anything and everything. I feed mine a steady diet of whatever is on sale, and keep Gold Dots in her around the house (if it's her turn). There are many makers of quality personal defense ammo and it's hard to go wrong with any.

Have fun.

10. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Always been partial to Speer Gold Dots and Federal Hydra Shoks.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For practice- try WalMart. You should be able to find Federal Champion 180gr for about $12-15/box (50). Winchester and Blazer also offer quality inexpensive rounds. Some like Remington UMC, not my preference though.

Defense Ammo- I like Hornady 180gr. Fed HS, Win Ranger, and Speer Gold Dot are also good options. Others prefer the 135-140gr CorBon loads, which perform a lot like a .357sig round.