Ammo Availability

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tinbucket, May 24, 2014.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Several days ago i went to a guns shop, I use to frequent. The shelves were stuffed, with every kind of ammo, one could want except .348 Winchester.
    The prices were insane. Price gouging at it's worse. A couple of other places have bulging shelves.
    However the surviving stores for ammo, in many are is Walmart.
    Why is it if you want ammo, in these areas, you have to be one of the wo or three first to the service counter at 7:00, or 8:00 or whenever, if the truck comes in, or in tight with someone with Walmart.
    Clearly the supply, of ammo ,is not that short ,just the availabilty to the public by some other mechanism. WalMart can obtain whatever it wants to sell??

2. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The scalpers are in cahoots with the gun counter guys at Wal Mart and other stores. Counter guys have told others and myself they have no .22 ammo. Then the local scalper shows up and ammo magically appears.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Aint right but I dont imagine Walmart pays their employees that much and they are supplementing their income. If Walmart cared, they would bring in a "new hire" and catch the people doing the black market sales. Fired and when word gets out it would stop.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Target Sports has some ammo at decent prices and some at great prices. Remington 12 gauge 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buck 250 round case delivered for $150. That is 60 cents a round.
    http://www.targetsportsusa.com/default.aspx

5. tenchi

tenchi New Member

i dont even bother w/ walmart ammo anymore. 22lr is no existent and any other popular calibers can be purchased online cheaper. but if you are intent on finding 22lr, brassbadger.com is a great tool.

6. tenchi

tenchi New Member

edit: and also ammo-can.net. that site is pretty good locating WM ammo as well.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

8. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I am no longer having difficulty getting centerfire ammo...even if my Walmart does not have it one particular day, another store or another day and I can find it. .22 ammo is another story...my wife and I bought two 50 round boxes each of .22 lr last Sunday at a Bass Pro, but it was just luck that the guy behind the counter had one brick and was selling limited boxes and I just happened to be there at the right time. The .22 ammo is out there, but you have to be there when they put it out as it is snapped up immediately. Same story of the same guys hanging out at the counter every day of every week snapping it up....if I had a choice, I would stop doing business with stores that tolerate/allow this...all you have to do is vary the time ammo is on the shelf and the scalpers would have to compete with the rest of us. I saw a you tube video of a WalMart ee charging $2 a text for information as to when the ammo was going on the shelf...this will change eventually and I will carry a few extra bricks when it does because in time, this will repeat.