Ammo at Walmart

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Armadiloroadkil, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Armadiloroadkil

Armadiloroadkil New Member

What's the story with buying ammo at Walmart? First time buying ammo since I got my 10/22 last month and I got a Federal bulk pack and some CCI. After ringing each in, the lady behind the counter asked me if they were for a handgun. I told her no both times and then wondered what the hell it mattered. I asked her about it and she couldn't explain other than she was required to enter an answer to the question.

Anyone know if this is a Walmart or state (IN) issue? The laws here in IN are so relaxed, I can't imagine it being that. It just caught me off guard and made me wonder if anyone here knew what it was about.

2. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

You have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo but only 18 to buy rifle ammo.

3. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Its like that here in missouri too

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Federal reg I believe, any round that is used in both handguns and longarms they have to ask. If for a handgun you must be 21 to purchase...18 for a rifle.

5. Armadiloroadkil

That makes sense. Now, considering I'm 44 years old, it was a mute point anyway... :)

6. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Yea, it happened to me also, 50 years old. I told her it was for my slingshot.

7. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Well, if it's like our Wal Mart, they have a rather stupid policy. If it's rifle or shotgun ammo, you can take it with you and check out at any check out counter in the store. If it's handgun ammo, you have to check out and pay for it at the sporting goods counter. Don't ask me why. And some clerks enforce it. Other's don't.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Just a rule of thumb I go by (went by before I turned 21 anyway) anytime they ask, I always replied that it was for a long gun.

9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The Walmarts in Michigan ask the same question.
    The clerk has no idea why.
    Nobody at Walmart knows either.
    Just say No to drugs, booze, and queers.

10. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Answer handgun in California and you need to show ID, and soon unless there is devine intervention, provide all sorts of data that the store will be required to keep and show if requested by nosey lawmen.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I guess it may just be policy. Kind of like when you are 21 yoa "More than Once" and when you go to a bar with your son and they ask to see his ID and then made me show my ID. I asked the cute little girl "Do I owe you a HUG for asking!:D
    She stated no but I will take the Hug anyway, but it is just policy here. So we ask everyone.
    Probably a policy where they advise all their employees that are in the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart? And likely since they do it to everyone no one will slip up and forget to ask someone under 21 who for example would be buying it for a handgun. I guess I can understand it looking at it like that! But I have a good friend "Bob" who is in charge of the sporting goods and weapon sales at my Local Wal-Mart when I see him I will ask him about that issue.

12. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I didn't get the question but maybe it's cause I look old. But when I bought a box of .45 they wouldn't give it to me and let me walk around the store. The lady asked if I was going to purchase it now or if I had more shopping to do. I told her I had more shopping to do and she said just let the person at the register know you have a box of ammo and it will be waiting there for you. I asked why and apparently it's some state law which makes a whole lot of sense since I was carrying my 1911 and 3 FREAKING MAGS!! Ha the look on her face was priceless.

13. northhike

northhike New Member

Between Walmart and Fleet Farm you can't beat the price on ammo. I have gotten that question before as well in Minnesota and I am 45. Just have fun with it. I like the sling shot comment. :D

14. Armadiloroadkil

That's what I was thinking also. In my case I didn't have my gun with me so my thought was "what am I going to do, throw them at people?"

15. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Should've told them it was for your machine gun;)

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I may hit walmart tonight. I've only got 100 rounds of .45, and I'm going to save at least enough for both mags after shooting my new gun, ergo, I need more ammo! Story of my freaking life.

I'll report back with whatever happens. I haven't bought ammo at wally's in years.

17. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I think they do that so you can't decide that you don't want it, and just leave it somewhere in the store for some kid/criminal/other to pick up and buy, but that's just a guess.

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Good luck, be sure to tell them its for a shotgun. :D:p

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Y'all have the right track. Federal law says you may not sell handgun ammo to anyone under 21, nor rifle/shotgun ammo to anyone under 18. The computer system that operates their cash registers recognizes the scan of age restricted merchandise (not just ammo) and makes the cashier enter data to clear it. If clerk entered handgun, and put in a DOB for someone age 20, it would decline the sale. They are just trying to comply with Fed law. My grocery has same thing with tobacco and alcohol.

And before anyones asks- same law says IF a round can be used for BOTH rifle and handgun, but it is going to be used in a rifle, you can buy at 18. Say an 18 year old that has a Ruger .44 mag carbine. Or a .22 rifle.

I DID get carded in VA Beach a couple of years ago- ordered a beer with my pizza. Turned out they got busted serving a minor- once more, they lose their license. They were carding EVERYBODY.

20. deucemanbb

deucemanbb New Member

I'm 66 years of age and got "carded" in WalMart a while back purchasing a bottle of wine. No B.S.