Ammo again.........................

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mwsfarm, Jan 25, 2009.

1. New gun owners stocking up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Total panic buying due to fear of a gun/ammo ban

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Industry driven shortage

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Evil Speculators trying to corner the market

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fear of economic/social unrest

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. mwsfarm

mwsfarm New Member

OK, been looking on the net for some ammo, .40 s&w, and .223. Pretty well stocked-up on other calibers.

There just isn't much available to pick from, at prices which we are accustomed to. I know, supply and demand, I don't feel there is any gouging going on.

What do you feel is the main reason that everyone is sold out?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You answered your own question there. The paranoid are buying up ammo faster than it can be produced.

3. mwsfarm

mwsfarm New Member

Matt-

One thing that I haven't seen discussed is how many new gun owners there are. I really feel that their purchases are helping to create the shortage (I hope that it is partly due to them, we need more gun owners who are willing to work for the RKBA)

who else has friends/relatives that are new to guns? I personally know at least 6 people who have purchased handguns that have never owned/shot one before. I also know they have purchased what I USED TO CONSIDER a large quantity of ammo.

I wish we could see the statistics now, of guns purchased in the last few months, and how many were NEW gun owners.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Went to get some 22lr Agulia ammo today a brick was $50 this was the colibri ammo that goes for $25 at midwayusa. it was twice that ammount at Gander Mtn. I sware That is the last time I wil set foot in that store. the have a Remington 700 VTR for $1900

5. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

Look at gunbroker.com

Look at the price of stripped lowers, AR's and other related. Prices have gone nutz.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What side of the Noboma bed did you crawl out of this AM? :confused:

It's still a free market, everyone is gouging! (If you know someone still selling at the pre-Obamageddon prices do your forum bros a favor and tell us where!)

The only exception's I've seen are the guys advertising low prices for ammo on their empty shelves! And just watch where the price goes when their next shipment comes in. :eek:

The last 1K brick of 7.62 I bought was <$200 to my door. In the last 3 months I've watched it go to $229, $249, $269 and now $329!!!! If he has any....Not Gouging? :mad:

Here's a Caneism:
    There are two guys on a desert island.
    Dude 1 has a bunch of bananas. Dude 2 has $250K.
    How much do the bananas cost?

7. mwsfarm

mwsfarm New Member

"What side of the Noboma bed did you crawl out of this AM?"

those are fighting words canebrake. I would prefer that if you are going to try to insult me that you would instead talk about my mom, or my sister. I won't type into print what i think of him or his legions of idiots. I should add, I wear a tinfoil hat about 4 hours a day too, and am also a "bitter clinger"

I don't view charging what the market will bear as "gouging" Keep in mind, I am talking about ammunition. I don't begrudge any business for getting what it can, that's how capitalism works. the price rises to ration supply. I suspect i don't need to explain economics to you, anyways. I will concede that the guys selling lowers on gunbroker are gouging. I also don't think they are selling as many as they were selling.

So, can anyone answer, is it obama, is it fear of unrest, is it fear of the ban, are new gun owners are playing a part, or is it a little bit of everything?

I just find it amazing that people (including myself) are continuing to buy in such quantities to keep store shelves empty. I also can't help but wonder, in this economy could there be a better way to send a message to the administration?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I can't believe we're even having this discussion. I work part time at a gun shop. Since November 4th, sales of firearms and ammo have skyrocketed. The coronation of Osama Bin Bama is the cause.

As stock has run out, it has been replaced with new stock which costs more from the suppliers. The higher prices are passed on to the consumer. Yes, that is called supply and demand.

There aren't any gunshop commandos employed at the shop. We offer very good prices and excellent service. There is no gouging going on. However, since the coronation, business has boomed so much, that it is hard to keep up with it.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

A local dealer here told me that October was his busiest month last year. He keeps obscene amounts of ammo, and he was picked clean of 9MM and .38 special. He said main reason was that more women than ever are buying or bought for, most saying they wanted CC. :cool:

10. mwsfarm

mwsfarm New Member

CA357-
    how many of your sales are new gun owners?

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I believe a combo of new owners and guys like me, consistent buyer that is buying maybe 1 or 3 boxes more-just in case. Still all supply and demand.

Btw, when did 'profit' become a dirty word?

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I can't answer for CA357 but the overwhelming majority of new members here on the forum are;

A. New gun owners who have made the purchase and now asking questions.
    B. Will buy members asking questions about what to buy.
    C. Owners that have been out of shooting for some time but for any number of reasons (wanta guess the real reason?) are jumping back into the sport.

I see what the politicians call a ground swell and it puts a grin on my face. :p
    I bet the liberals aren’t smiling, :eek: but rather shaking in their boots.
    I’m sure they’re hoping the sheeple’s ADHD kicks in and they run off on another crusade when they get bored with guns.
    Will this happen? I hope not but then guns have been a big part of my life. I first shot my Dad’s M1911A1 in 1955 at age 9. :cool: Went into the woods hunting with him (carrying a 20ga that was way too big for me) at age 11. Lots of learning goin' on while watching my Dad!
    I didn’t get my first rabbit until 13 and a pheasant the following year. (great freakin' memories!)
    I didn’t even know that other people didn’t have guns in their houses. I just thought everyone had them.
    New gun owners do not have this history and what scares me is as the prices start to accumulate when the lib’s taxes and bans start to kick in they will find another crusade to follow.

Let’s make sure that every new gun owner we come in contact with gets a sincere welcome and leaves with a positive experience.
    We need to ask them to find friend not currently shooting and introduce them to the positive experiences we all have with our sport!
    We should get as many new members as we can to join the NRA. Yea, I've heard all the carping about this "Big Bureaucracy" and are they really for us or more for the inside the beltway bunch.
    Well here’s a 1986 quote from someone I’m sure we all know, Jeff Cooper; “The NRA is not perfect (anymore than our army is perfect), but it is our NRA (and our army), and it is up to us to make it better rather than to pick nits.”

Here's a Canenomics: The NRA is asking you for $25/year so they can defend and lobby your gun rights to the gub-mint. What do you think the anti-gun lobby asks its members? $25? Yea, right!
    What do you think George Soros gives to the anti gun lobby? Hell, he is the lobby!
    Read this; NRA-ILA :: George Soros: Anti-Gunner Who Would Remake America

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Officially 01/20/2009

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

My main resaon for buying ammo and storing it is possible fear of civil unrest. Can't hurt to have a stockpile of ammo when the SHTF.

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Many more than we would ordinarily see. I wouldn't know the actual percentage, but a SWAG might be twenty percent give or take. I must also add that the shop is in Sacramento, California, a leftist redoubt and conservative nightmare.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You poor bastard, when are you exfilling North and getting SOME sense of your Rights back?

Must I send the chopper for you? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I didn't know our forum could make it through the Sacramento lib filters?? :D

18. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Production capacity, IVO our military commitments, also has to be considered. Ask any farmer or landscaper what happened to fertilizer prices when ethanol was mandated.

19. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

That was my vote. Cuz I did the same thing.

20. mwsfarm

mwsfarm New Member

ok, who's the wise guy that messed with the poll? :)