Firearms Talk banner

America's Gun

3K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Amsdorf 
#1 ·
If any gun can claim to be "America's Gun" it is the 1911 .45ACP Semi-Automatic Pistol, developed by John Moses Browning, the 1911 has been on "active duty" now for over 100 years and still going strong. A gun safe without a 1911 is defective! I love my 1911s and enjoy shooting them. They may not be for everybody, but they sure are for me. I also enjoy my Glocks and polymer-framed handguns. Yes, you can enjoy both.

Here's a video I made on my Springfield Loaded.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtnpgqcf28c[/ame]

#3 ·
I have a Glock 36 and Kimber full size.
The Glock has more recoil. The recoil on a 1911 is more easy than the sharp Glock recoil.

Your video makes me want to go to the range real bad. I have
never shot another gun that feels as nice or as easy to shoot or
more accurate than the 1911.

It's not just the gun. I love the .45 ACP round. Large hunk of lead slowing moving through atmosphere. 850 fps. love it.

You could buy one in 9mm but I feel it's just not the same.

#4 ·
Oh hell, here we go again! Somebody's going to jump in and say the Colt SAA is America's iconic gun, then somebody else (possibly me) will say the Smith Hand Ejector revolver, and we'll be off and running!

But happy birthday, 1911! You're a grand old gal, even if I don't own a copy and can't afford one in my Social-Security-funded old age.

Even though it didn't directly affect me at all, I still think it was false economy and a dumb move to have the standard-issue military sidearm changed from the 1911 A-1 to the M9, fine gun though the Beretta is.

#5 ·

I was at a gun store the otherday looking at 1911s. They handed me a beautiful stainless one. Then I saw the 9mm marking on the barrel. I handed it back and asked if they had any men's guns.

#9 ·
i like all my pistols, or else i wouldn't keep them, but i love all my 1911's!:D

my 1911's have a special meaning to me and are one of my favorite pistol platforms. something special about a pistol design that hasn't changed a whole lot in over 100 years, and is probably one of the most copied designs of all pistols ever made. yep, gotta love the 1911!:D

#13 ·
I have a Glock 36 and Kimber full size.
The Glock has more recoil. The recoil on a 1911 is more easy than the sharp Glock recoil.

Your video makes me want to go to the range real bad. I have
never shot another gun that feels as nice or as easy to shoot or
more accurate than the 1911.

It's not just the gun. I love the .45 ACP round. Large hunk of lead slowing moving through atmosphere. 850 fps. love it.

Thanks....

I think the "sharper" recoil is due to the smaller size of the handgun, frankly. The G21 for me has a software recoil impulse, the polymer frame absorbing some of it.

The 1911 never lets you forget you are firing a beefy round! Love it.

But I also enjoy my Glock 21, a lot!

#14 ·
If the 1911 is America's handgun,
I think that the M4/M16/AR-15 is America's rifle.

I love the tommy, I just don't think it is quite as iconic.

#15 ·
It seems more dependent on the generation what the American gun is. I see the American handgun as a 1911 and the rifle as either an M1 or M16/M4.

#19 ·
What about what gun best represents America?

Barrett M107 in .50
Big / bad *** / not to be messed with / will take out targets log way away / after the first shot, the next one is already chambered for the 2nd target!!!

#23 ·
Proud to say I'm getting ready to pick up my first 1911. Not the brand I "want" but it is the one I can "afford" which is the important part. Yet to hear anything bad about rock island armory so I can't complain too much. Also my first .45 so either way I'm excited! :) advice on first mods?

#26 ·
Proud to say I'm getting ready to pick up my first 1911. Not the brand I "want" but it is the one I can "afford" which is the important part. Yet to hear anything bad about rock island armory so I can't complain too much. Also my first .45 so either way I'm excited! :) advice on first mods?
If it isn't the tactical model and you want a combat/skeletonized hammer take a look at the s&w hammer at Midway, it is only $10??? Very high value right there! Mine dropped right in, took 2 minutes to do. And to get the best probability for a drop in trigger and beavertail I order the tactical versions from armscor USA website, spent $35 total for both

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.