Americans who understands the metric system

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by DodgerBlue, Aug 30, 2013.

1. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Every time I meet someone American who understands the metric system I cant help but think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Hummm? He could be a Hand loader.:)

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Scientist. Though I could probably make more money as a drug dealer.

4. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Me? I'm just a pyro who gets paid to design/build big fires, metrically!

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Couldn't we all?

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If you're a mechanic, you have no choice.

There's metric threads, bolts, and I've seen them on

Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler. So they're all equally busted.

7. genesaika

genesaika New Member

Yup, I have to agree with this. I've also learned to read and understand the labels on controls for cranes in most languages, particularly Japanese.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Some guys have all the fun.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Does translating blueprints for a $300000.00 German robot over so that the US company can build the machine that it will run count?
    Miserable project by the way.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Metrics? The French use two systems, Japan uses two systems and the Russians will really scare you. Metrics are all over the place. I will take the system we were taught in grade school.:D

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I understand metric. Though, I'm also studying to be a mechanical engineer, reload my own ammo, and woodwork (I use metric drill bits on my pens). :D

12. GunsGodAndCountry

GunsGodAndCountry New Member

Those in the medical field know metric, imperial, and apothecary systems. Definitely not a drug dealer, at least not the illegal kind :)

13. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I wont budge. Ya give 'em a millimeter and they take a kilometer.

14. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I laughed my ass off with that one, Thanks!

15. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

I hate the metric system almost as much as I hate paying for French on everything. It never fails - every time I open a box, I pull out a page that says: "Mo Dee Employ". :(

Canada went metric because our liberal government of the day thought the U.S. was going metric (it was being debated in the U.S. at the time) and, in a way that only another liberal airhead could understand, they decided we should be first. Yay.

The entire friggin' county was surveyed into 1/4 sections and all the houses were built with 2x4's. This means we still buy and sell acres. Nobody knows just what a Hectare is nor is anybody I know particularly interested in finding out. And when we renovate, we go to the lumber yard to ask for, pay for and receive, "2x4"'s, 2x6's, etc. We still build on 16" centers. There are those who try to call them a 38mm x 89mm but the rest of us ignore them. The only result was that all of us had to buy two sets of tools....and we lost track of what we were supposed to pay for a gallon of gas or a quart of milk.

Did I mention that I don't like metric crap?

16. TLuker

TLuker New Member

That is hilarious!

I'm a quality engineer and use both daily. The metric system is actually easier to use because the conversions are so much easier. But inches continue to work just fine also. The trick to metrics is just use it. You get use to it quick if you use it. I don't really care which system is used but I try real hard make sure companies don't do both. Either system works just fine but trying to use both is asking for problems.:eek:

17. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

What I hate is when we dual-dimension the drawings. Then you can be sure to have mismatches, fabrication errors, etc.

And yes, I said "we" because my company does this. When I ask them why, the answer makes no sense. "So we can get bids from both kinds of shops." What kinds of shops? The ones who are too cheap to have any metric measuring tools? Or the ones who don't know how to use them?

18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Ive seen lots of hybrid measurements in consumer and commercial electronics, drives me nuts when the width/ height is standard but the impedance and loss distances are Metric (Signal parameters and efficacy calculations). Im a Standard kinda guy all the way around.

Theirs a reason its called Standard, Cause, thats what it is, The Standard for how we gauge things, built over thousands of years not just the last millenium. As mechanical and electronic sensing becomes more reliable and durable, Ten based systems will replace any old standard but until they do, Im sticking with what has worked for my whole life just fine. I can do metric but its no different than me speaking Spanish, I have to translate it to English equivalent in my head before I can relate, it doesnt just flow like honey through my brain.

My measuring tapes never need batteries and 1/32" is about as close a measurement of size that I will ever use. When it comes to 64Ths, thats not my tool set but I have friends that work ten places right of the decimal point all day long, thats when I yell "Help me Gary" (Toolmaker friend of mine)!

19. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

x2

It is impossible to add the metric system to a country surveyed and built in Imperial or English for centuries and then expect to have only one measuring system. The result will necessarily be two measuring systems. Yuk.

Metric is a system best left to people with veins in their head who wear lab coats, IMO. And maybe drug dealers.:)

20. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I don't spend much time in the kitchen, but if we went metric, what would we call Measuring Cups?

I don't spend much time in Canada, but last time I purchased gas in the Imperial Gallon. NOW WHAT WHAS THAT ONE ABOUT ? ? ? ?