American Tactical M1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by danf_fl, Aug 13, 2013.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I got one in with a sheared off ejector (and it looked like it was peened where the casing hits it).

The gun had a little surface rust, terrible trigger pull, and a need of a lot of TLC.

I replaced ejector (had to drill on the front leg of the ejector), replaced all springs, stoned the trigger bow to remove high spots and smoothed the edges of the bow. I also cleaned and lubed the gun (it was dry).

I was thinking of stoning the sear, but didn't. The parts will have to be replaced to get the 4# trigger pull the owner wants. My concern is that the parts are surface hardened, and I don't want to compromise integrity.

Overall evaluation is that this could be a decent 1911. But as it comes from the box, I would replace all springs with a kit from Brownells (about $20) before shooting.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

In my experience the ati guns are roughly but solidly made guns. I'm personally not a big fan of them. I've never even seen their 1911.

3. nsin

nsin New Member

I have the 1911 45k-tactical version. Great gun but I've had some feeding errors. I've read that it might be the PMC ammo I've been using. When I go back to the range I'm going to experiment a little. But overall shoots great and is solid.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

A friend of mine has two of the and swears that they are just as good as any Colt:rolleyes:

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Just wondering if he has tried a Colt lately. (And not an earlier version)

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

No, he's just one of those guys.... "I own one so its the best thing out there"

Same deal with his busted up Romanian M44. Best thing out there. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. JonM

JonM Moderator

colt has always made top notch 1911.

ive got a ati 1911-22 a big chunk of frame sheared off under the ejector and it took a LOT of back and forth to get it replaced.

i cant recomend ati as a good buy or a good company to deal with.

i will definately say they are NOWHERE near the quality of a colt.

here is my broken gsg

[​IMG]

as you can see its very cheaply done mim.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles and at the same time I'm happy to hear of them. Lol
    I've often wondered about many of the 'off brand' guns that I've sold. There are many that seemed decent but weren't something I would purchase and I often never got feedback from customers.