American Made?????

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gadrooning, Feb 17, 2010.

1. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I never did understand the arguement of buy Ford, buy Chevy, buy John Deer, it is American. ???? I usually get a tick when I hear or read someone saying " well thats why I bought american. ???? I think people are still in the dissalution that these "domestic" companies are 100 percent American. I am all about America first, but people have to wake up and realize these corperations are global. Fords, Chevy, John Deer, etc. are global. Same is true for the so called foreign importers such as Kia, Toyota, bmw, etc. These are made and assembled in the US as well, filling the pockets of our american blue collar workers and shareholders. Did you know that Buick does more sales in China that the us? I am just using the automobile industry as an example. This pertains to all industries. I have owned Fords, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, Nissans, Toyota's, and currently drive a BMW. That's right a Bmw. Guess what it is a 100 percent made in Spartensburg SC. It is German engineered and a 100 percent american made. If you are so apt to stand on your soapbox of american made. I have one question for you. Where do you do most of your shopping. I willing to bet most of us will say Walmart. Did you know Walmart is the biggest importer in the world. They bring in more containers than any other company, mostly from China. I am willing to bet that the clothes that you are wearing including your shoes are either manufactured in China, Korea, or Mexico. I am not against Walmart since they do provide a valuable service and provide jobs for thousands if not millions of Americans. Think American, think Global.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

+1 on this. Finally someone that thinks like I do.

3. Major Kusanagi

Major Kusanagi New Member

+1 as well.

I think many people forget that we build many of the foreign investors technological and infrastructure products that are made right here in the States. Just because it has a Korean or Japanese name on doesn't mean it is made in those countries. As you said, think American, think global.
    May I also add to your argument that just because an individual advocates buying American and tries to practice what they preach doesn't always mean that what they are getting a quality product. Heck, look at what we talk most on here: weapons. There are plenty of weapons made 100% in Germany, Czech Republic, Croatia, Switzerland, and Belgium that are top notch in quality.

I sometimes think we as a nation have a tendency to use a blind, almost quasi-nationalistic faith in defining what it means to be American, especially when it comes to products made here. I think people forget that it isn't a trade goods that defines a nation. It is their borders, language, and culture that does. I just wish more people understood that.

4. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

The important thing is to TRY to buy items that are actually made in the US, by Americans, where your dollars are going to some business that actually pays wages to Americans.

In the early 80's I finally listened to my Dad who would always tell me to buy American every time I bought a Honda or Toyota vehicle. Back then neither Honda or Toyota had US manufacturing. So I bought a Dodge van. Took it home and then saw the sticker "Assembled in Mexico". Crap. Later I bought a Dodge Ramcharger, took it home and saw the sticker "Assembled in Canada". Crap x 2.

Today I buy Ford trucks, because I can see which US plant it was assembled in. However, I have to accept that some parts or component assemblies may be of foreign supply. I will not buy a GM or Chyrsler product because they took the Obama stimulus money. I would buy a US made Honda or Toyota.

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I agree with everything said so far, but wanted to see this part repeated. Until they repay all the money (like that will ever happen) they are bankrupt companies as far as I'm concerned. Which sucks because I just bought a crossover (Mazda CX-9) and really liked some of the GM options but would not consider them.

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

If the US could manufacture quality goods at reasonable prices, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to "buy American". My problem is I always see one or the other - but rarely both.

Also, I have worked for both Toyota and Honda in the past (19 years) and they paid this American, very handsomely. :D

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

But understand that Japanese Companies don’t make cars here out of the goodness of their hearts. They make cars in America because it increases their profits. Those profits then go back to Japan. Taxes on those profits are paid to Japan. And some of those profits go to buying American real estate. Not too long ago Japanese companies held much if not most of the investment real estate in Honolulu. They also owned many of the high-rise office buildings in Los Angeles. American companies can’t buy property in Japan but we sell them our country.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

While i agree that it is better to buy products made in the U.S. by U.S. companies, it can be challenging these days. That isn't exactly the whole truth, though. Though taxes are paid to Japan on what Toyota earns from its U.S. divisions, taxes are also paid to the U.S. on the earnings of those U.S. divisions, since the divisions themselves are U.S. corporations. Additionally, Toyota operations here do contribute to the public coffers through payroll & property taxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_North_America Wiki list of Toyota's companies in the U.S.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  9. Highpower

Highpower New Member

And the US companies do? :confused:

I know what you are saying Jo, and I agree. So what are we to do? MORE bail out money because we can't compete with their success?

10. orangello

orangello New Member

We need to do what they did after the U.S. rebuilt their country post WW2, learn what our competitors do & do it better.

The big Japanese secret of Just In Time inventory (big advantage in the 80's & 90's) was suposedly copied from Piggly Wiggly grocery stores here in the U.S. Maybe some U.S. manufacturers should find a way to have decent employee relations without being unionized; that would save a bit on each car. I read an estimate (late '90's numbers) that about $1500 of the selling price of the theoretical "average U.S.-made car" was needed to cover insurance benefits for union employees. Maybe U.S. companies could try that Japanese development process that starts with a proposed product & estimated selling price & profit margin & works backwards to make that product for the selling price less the profit margin.

I don't think this country can live on income from the service sector alone; we need some manufacturing too.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I really doubt you can find a car that is 100% American made. There is outsoursing of componenets manufacture on ALL "American made" cars. Several years ago I bought a Mazda 626. The local dealer had both import and American made 626's. I specified one buiolt in Flat Rock, Michigan. I double checked the VIN to make sure it started with a "1". That car went over 250,000 miles before going TU.
    I try to buy American as much as possible. I drive mostly Ford products. My wife's current Mazda 3 has numerous "FOMOCO" labeled parts even though it has a Japanese VIN.
    My work issued Police Interceptor was assembled in Canada.

12. seeker

seeker New Member

the biggest problem in my opinion is that our raw materials industries have all but dissapeared. we don't use our resorses we use others resourses.. on the one hand it leaves us with resourses at the end of the giant chess game, but it leaves us with unemployed..

it seems to me we are becoming more of a service socioty. A lot of labor wind up unemployed... It seems like the ogvernment thinks we can retrain them all to be techno guru's.. bottom line is there is a level of socioty that will always be labor... and the jobs in that feild are drying up in american.... they are getting thelabor cheaper in other countries... so in that aspect I think the global thinking is hurting us... we are the worlds biggest consumer so why not use our own labor for the products we consume. seems like every other country is putting tarriffs on every thing we put out and if we raise rates on their products we get slammed... before the advent of the personal income tax our government was funded mainly through the taxes placed on other countries goods...meanwile we are sending unending ammounts of money out to almost every country in the form of aid....

I think there has to be balance and to me it seems out of balance right now..
    buy american has a little more indepth meaning to me

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

We have been moving to wards a service related workforce for a long time.

Part of the reason a lot of things are made over seas is UNIONS. Unions are killing the big 3. To many people want way to much money for screwing in bolts and pounding nails. I mean really do you need to make $30 an hour to put tires on a chevy truck? When they have a tool that bolts all the lugs on at one time and they have a machine that lifts the tire up to the truck.

We will always need some unskilled labor jobs. Janitors are always going to be needed, construction workers are always going to be needed. Today though there are places and countries that will build buildings in a factory then ship them to the site then bolt them together and plug in wires and hook up plumbing. I just seen a show on tv where a guy is going to build a factory in the middle of a subdivision build the houses there then load them on to a special flat bed truck and drive them no more than a mile to the home site. Once the subdivision is done they will tear down the factory and load it up on trucks and move it to the next one. He cut his labor cost by something like 75% all the workers are happier and seeing as your building in the factory you can work on on days that would shut down stick built home sites. Take the recent storm back here in VA MD DC. That guy could be building homes during the storm as long as workers could get to work. Where as many stick build sites are still shut down and will be shut down till the snow melts.

We are SENDING jobs like making clothing, and and other goods to other countries so we can focus on the service side of the business.

I am sorry to believe the USA and make a go of in the world today with out being active in other countries weather it is selling or buying is just stupid. The world is shrinking and you can see it every day. I can email people in Japan in a matter of seconds. I can work from home and video conference with people in CA, DC, Germany, Iraq and Japan all at the same time. your using this right now we are all from different areas and would never be able to talk unless someone provides us with the Internet hence the name ISP Internet SERVICE Provider.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  14. seeker

seeker New Member

cpttango30 I do understand that our world is more acessable than it used to be. but I also understand that the majority of the worlds population does not have the acessablilty we as americans enjoy.. they arn't pumpin the net in every rice patty shanty or african mud hut... and the lack of "service" and the goods that require it make underdeveloped nations more competitive in terms of wage rates. I'm not saying we shouldn't do bussiness with other countries I'm saying we have a one way economy we buy buy buy buy and then we can't compete sellin in "world" economy on the same level as these underdeveloped countries. I think we should try and even the playing feilds for our selves. The "world" economy depends on american consumerism not the other way around. You got a different view I'm interested? this is just the way I see it..