American Classic Commander Modified

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Axxe55, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

several months ago i bought an American Classic Commander. it has the hard chrome finish. well a couple of weekends ago, i sat staring at it and decided to make some minor changes and make it more to my liking. first of all i undercut the frame at the trigger guard, recessed the slide release pin hole on the RH side of the frame, recontoured the grip safety to more closely match the frame, did a slight carry bevel on the frame and slide and MSH. next was a trip to the bead blaster at work. will need another session to remove all the finish completely. here are some pictures of before and where i am at right now. will be blueing after the finish is removed. need to find some grips that will compliment the finish when done. still undecided as to exactly which way to go with there yet.

Attached Files:

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Nicely done. I heavily modified my AC Commander also. Much more to my liking now.

3. Axxe55

thank you Olympus! i'm thinkin it may need some grips from you to make it special!:D

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

A man after my own heart!

Kudos axxe! You have a true vision for a PD carry piece! I can relate to your comfort zone because the Commander model is the "true" carry piece!

Only addition I could offer is to select a slim/thin set of stocks.

You have found the enlightened carry piece! This model will serve you well.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

How well was that thing shooting before the work? I've thought of getting one since it is about the only "bargain" 1911 out there in a true Commander size. I've wanted an affoardable one to do a bobtail conversion to to make it better for concealment.

6. Axxe55

thank you, but dang Cane, are you reading my mind? have a set of new grip screws and bushings (slim) already for it! just need the slim grips now. haven't decided exactly which ones yet. i am thinking a lighter color to contrast with the darker color of the frame and slide. the thumb safety, slide release and mag release will be SS finish, to add a little more contrast when done.

Doc, it shot very well before teardown and only had to make one minor adjustment to the extractor, courtesy of Cane who told me how to tweek it. most all my changes are more cosmetic than functional. as i am not changing any internal parts as they function quite fine. the AC or even the RIA would be great pistols to do what you are suggesting. honestly, IMO, these pistols are a great platform for doing a budget build on. this AC is my second one and am very pleased with it. the first one was an AC II Government model that i shot the snot out of! loved it. they are great pistols. you need to check them out.

7. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Could you blast one for me so i can duracoat it? Lmk

8. Axxe55

Tactical, personally i would like to, but as that i have no FFL, there is no way i could recieve a pistol from someone.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Nuthin better than taking a perfectly gud 1911, tearing it all to hell, then putting it back togeather better than before :cool:

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Here's my modified AC Commander. Complete with bobbed frame and slim bushings and grips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

LOVE the blue :cool:

12. GNXtreme

GNXtreme New Member

Now you guys got me thinking of ways to mod my ac commander. I've wanted to duracote something for a while now. I do like the shiny finish on it now... I put 150 rounds downrange this weekend... Love it!

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

good job jonas, looks damn good

14. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Way to go, Jonas! That's gonna be sweet!!

Beautiful piece, O! Love that shiny blue. Now if you would ever grace this guns of yours with the right holster, you'd be set. :)

15. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Thats frickin beautiful.

16. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Thats just plain awesome right there! Those grips are perfect.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Jonas, here's something you should consider doing to your AC Commander - stippling on the front strap;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did all the work using that brass hammer, a center punch and a small chisel.

To improve your purchase even more take a look at the VZ Operators II Grips. VZ Grips - 1911

Mine are the slim mag-well in Hyena Brown G10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Thanks fellas. Didn't want to derail the OP's thread. Just showing that the American Classic makes a good platform to do modifications to.

19. SSGN_Doc

Nice work. Looks too purdy to carry except on Sundays and to BBQs.

20. SSGN_Doc

Nice job on the stippling and grip relief behind the trigger guard. I like a nicely stipples grip. Most 1911 owners don't have the stomach to do it themselves. Wacking away with a hammer and chisel seems unsettling to some.