american ammo vs european ammo 40

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by versatile, Apr 19, 2013.

1. versatile

versatile New Member

I was just wondering who thinks european ammo is a better value than american ammo? I been shooting PPU and S&B and it is my personal opinion that these are better than common names such as winchester, ae, speer, and blazer. even the cheap ppu fmj seem better put together than the hornady, winchester, and federal. i was just wondering how others felt about the subject. when i say better i mean feed reliability, accuracy, lower recoil, cleanliness, less nicks on the casing, well put together, and less instances of duds. i'm not including underwood, double tap, or buffalo bore because those are held to different specifications/standards. american bullets cost more and i was wondering what others thought concerning this subject.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I am still fairly new to handguns but have purchased PPU, Winchester, PMC, American Eagle, and herters....mine seEMS to eat everything...though Herters had a couple FTF's and a couple of cycling issues with American Eagle. I like the PPU JHP but will replace with american eventually. I buyAmerican first...always!

3. versatile

versatile New Member

I shoot what's cleanest, most reliable and accurate. These companies better start cheapening their costs and raising standards or people will go elsewhere. Would you pay more to support Amrerican made?

4. versatile

versatile New Member

I just saw the ballistics/gel test on youtube and america is better. i guess you get what you pay for. it's still really nice target ammo. i'll make it #5 for security to blast through a wall if need be. i seed them in the magazine as follows 1. underwood xtp jhp 2. underwood gd jhp 3. winchester pdx1 4. hornady critical duty 5. ppu fmj 6. federal premium....repeat twice. on the underwoods and winchester repeat 3 times.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The American makers have suffered from skyrocketing demand. They have ramped up production to war time standards. They have faltered a bit from new staff who do not have the same experience as the "old" staff. They will get up to speed (at least most. I'm not so sure about Big Green) as the employees gain experience.

6. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Versatile, has anyone talked to you about that each different brand of ammo will go to different points of impact? Handguns are funny, you need to shoot each brand to see what your gun will shoot the most accurate, then only use that one brand. If you are going to use it for selfdefense, you need to put each bullet in the same place. While it seems neat to load various brands to give better puch, it is more important that each bullet finds it's mark. A fast miss is still a miss.

Jim

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

For .40, I us Czech and German ammo all the time for my USP. No problems with either ball or hollow point ammo. Right now, I am using Sellier and Bellot (Czech) for target practice, but it is also great for the field and home. I have used steel case Russian ammo when money is tight, but I have had one FTF, which bothered me. I actually use MagTech (US) hollow points for carrying though. Ammo from the West is in general very good, plus we must include the Eastern Czech companies.

8. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Too many differences across all types of ammo to say one is better than the other

Your gun will tell you what it likes, go with that.

9. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

In general, the answer is yes. I am still learning what is American made and what is not. Right now, as I have very little personal supply, I buy what is reasonable and in stock...but once this all goes back to normal..I will buy American....Winchester and American Eagle are fine fmj for my use and JHP... I will ultimately spend the additional money for good, American made ammo.

10. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I will admit that I am still learning with my gun...in this environment..it has been impossible for me to stock too much of any one brand...currently I have about 500 total rounds of various brands (and have just eclipsed 500 through the gun) and all of them seem to shoot similarly, to me. As I said, still learning. I figure I will hone in more once I start reloading in a few months.

11. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Reloading is a good option but you will need alot of spare time on range and reloading. But you can get better results from it, and it will work out much cheaper in the long run. Happy shooting.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Assuming we are discussing SD ammo, and not range practice ammo.

S&B, Hotshot, GECO, DWM, etc are considered "premium" ammo in most of Europe.

I would choose those over WW White box, Fed American Eagle or Rem UMC.

My first choice, is American premium such as WW Ranger, Silvertip, Remington Golden Sabre, etc.

But I'd choose S&B over American "economy" ammo.

For range practice?? What ever's cheapest.

13. versatile

versatile New Member

My sentiments exactly

14. versatile

versatile New Member

If you can shoot you can shoot, I use different ammo every time I shoot. It seems to me if you practice dry firing it doesn't matter if you load different bullets. I have practiced with all of them anyway. I have plenty of each. Sometimes I switch to 357 sig... Most shootouts happen within ten yards. I rarely miss at 25 yards. By your theory you shouldn't use plinking ammo because it will ruin your muscle memory for the self defense ammo....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  15. bigjim

bigjim New Member

That is correct.

Jim

16. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the stuff that comes from my basement, 100% American made:)

17. versatile

versatile New Member

i can't spend a dollar a bullet to shoot.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you need to practice with duty ammo???? NO!

Any difference in muscle memory will be more than overcome by extensive practice with lower cost ammo. If you load your own as I do, you can duplicate your duty ammo.

I load all of my 9MM practice ammo to +P+.

But if I didn't load, I would buy Wolf by the case and still get a lot of practice.