America - 'makes you wonder......'

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by tac foley, Jul 5, 2020.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Rabbit- I figured the surveyors just got into the pulque....

ellis36 likes this.
  2. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Want to look at a survey OOPS!!!. Look at the Idaho panhandle. The Idaho Border was intended to be the Continental Divide. Up above Salmon, a bit north of Lost Trail Pass, there are two ridges either of which could be the divide.

The Surveyor, went into Hamilton, Montana to ask which one was the Divide. And, they told him the one to the West. (They wanted the mineral rich land to be part of Montana Territory, and not the State of Idaho, so they fibbed a little.)

He went merrily along figuring he was in the right place, until he saw a river coming from the East. AT which point he headed due north, creating the panhandle, and giving a bunch of land to Montana.

3. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

Boatme98 - in view of your obvious attachment to the gaes about AD, I will waive the need for stuff to predate that, uh, date. BUT I will rely, instead on the integrity of the poster to keep a billion miles away from ANYTHING political or religious, or in any way contentious in the respect.

Instead, let's talk about the WORKS of Nature, of of Man, without either of the two previously highlighted subjects being part of them, Like, fer'instance, the Hoover Dam, or Golden Gate Bridge. Or, a subject dear to old heart, the coast-to-coast railroad and the meeting at Promontory. Since this is YOUR thread, Folks, and some here might be less than familiar with your favourite 'wonder', I'm asking you to provide a nice big 'pitcher' for us less-than-knowledgeable posters here.

How's that?

schnuffleupagus and boatme98 like this.
  4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

This picture is of the strata at Lake Havasu. There is a major incline in the strata showing that there was a massive upheaval thousands of years ago. Those layers were laid down flat when they were formed. I am glad I was not around for that earthquake 4-01-05 008b.jpg .

ellis36, boatme98 and tac foley like this.
  5. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Well, Tac, there is some ancient history here in Virginia, of which I was unawares. Your thread post resurrected some of my appreciation. Thank you!

There is a good link here for the pre-historic stuff in Virginia: https://www.thoughtco.com/dinosaurs-and-prehistoric-animals-of-virginia-1092105

But of most interest to me is the "Clovis Layer". There is a distinct soil layer pre-and-post Clovis civilization that pretty much encompasses much of the U.S.; as definitive as the layer dividing pre-and-post asteroid (KT layer?) In one of the streams' banks on my property, I can see that very distinct "Clovis layer". Haven't searched for or uncovered any period spear/arrow-points (nor do I care to), but the layer is very distinct and in keeping with scientific analyses of the layer in other parts of Virginia.

While most of my experience of our land is tied to the "recent un-pleasantries" otherwise known as the "War of Northern Aggression" or more commonly the "Civil War" (our land is ½ miles from Stonewall Jackson's famous flanking maneuver during the battle of Chancellorsville in 1864 and the CSA field hospital that amputated his arm, and about the same distance from U.S. Grant's field HQs during the Battle of the Wilderness a year later), I am also aware of the early native civilizations here long before America was a nation, or even a concept...

But the Clovis layer predates all of that!

Should I uncover an ancient Mastodon of Dinosaur, I'll keep me mouth shut as I don't want the "powers-that-be" to descend on my land and declare it a national park. I'm pretty sure I am not alone in this...

schnuffleupagus, JTJ and tac foley like this.
  6. c3shooter

Tac- story (may be legend, was not there- had a dentist appointment that day)

The completion of the US Transcontinental RR was all set, with MUCH pre-arranged hoopla. The FORMAL completion would be the driving of the much vaunted Golden Spike- the last spike to complete the track joining the two sides of the nation. A telegrapher was waiting, finger poised over the key- when the spike was struck, he would close his key, sending the pre-arranged signal down the line, where it would be picked up all over the US, triggering celebrations at every burg, city, hamlet and metropolis. The official SWUNG- and the telegrapher closed his key, triggering nationwide hoo-rah.

The official had MISSED the spike. Had to take another swing.....

7. c3shooter

There IS some unusual geology in Virginia.

[​IMG]

Natural Bridge is well known (and yeah, there IS a state road that crosses over on top)

But further south, we also have THIS-

[​IMG]

Lesser known- Natural Tunnel State Park- 850 ft long tunnel- erosion in limestone rock- complete with an operating railroad line.

alsaqr, buckhuntr and tac foley like this.
  8. tac foley

One of THE most fascinating visits we ever made in the PNW was to the caves of Fort Rock, where, back in 1938, a goodly number of sandals were found - of all sizes, adult and children. Read -

University of Oregon archaeologist Luther Cressman's 1938 excavations at Fort Rock Cave placed human habitation in Oregon as early as 13,200 years ago. Cressman's team also recovered numerous examples of sandals woven from sagebrush bark below a layer of Mazama Ash (deposited by the explosion forming Crater Lake about 7600 years ago). Radiocarbon dating of these sandals, now displayed at the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History in Eugene and in the town of Fort Rock, has shown some to be over 10,000 years old. This sandal style is known as Fort Rock style, since they were first discovered there. This sandal style is distinct from other variants; they are flat, closed toed and have a twined sole. They have been found at other sites, such as Cougar Mountain and Catlow Caves, as well. Several other prehistoric artifacts have been found at Fort Rock Cave, including basketry and stone tools.The artifacts found by Stephen Bedwell in 1970 were found in one of the remaining unvandalized areas of the cave.

[​IMG]

At that time, the fort Rock dwellings were on the shore of a shallow lake - the waves-lines can still be clearly seen at the bottom right-hand side here - the overhang is due to water erosion...
    upload_2020-7-6_17-5-1.png

I have had long and deep discussion with my friends at the UoO about the populating of the Americas, but the sight of these little sandals, found lying underneath ash from the eruption that the creation of Crater Lake less than 8000 years ago, was one of the most moving sights I've ever beheld.

RJF22553 likes this.
  9. tac foley

Another time, I'll mention Kennewick Man......but not yet. :)

JTJ likes this.
  10. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

Mesa Verde in CO is amazing.

many years ago (1966) I was standing guard duty in So Korea on our Rifle Range at Camp Casey.
    About 2 AM a meteorite came in over the hill and lit up the sky really well and when it landed, it bounced and the movement of the light in the sky was awesome.
    Needless to say, I didn't go "over the hill" as I was on guard duty and not authorized to leave my post. It could have been two hills over or beyond. Might have taken forever to get there and then NOT find it.
    I'll bet that piece of rock is worth some dough today.
    Wonder if someone picked it up. I was at the 200 yard line on firing point number 7 if I remember correctly.

winds-of-change likes this.
  11. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

We have all seen pictures of the Great Pyramids of Egypt but until you see it in person you cannot appreciate the enormity of the pyramid. Also how precisely the stones were laid. This is especially true of the interior passage ways and rooms of the pyramids.

After having visited Egypt there is no way you will convince me the Great Pyramids were built solely by ancient Egyptians using the primitive tools of the time. Nope, some higher intelligence had to be involved in my opinion. The length of each side of the base was approximately 775 feet (over 2 and a half football fields). Also, as they added each layer of stone it had to be almost perfectly level to reach a height of 481 feet.

The Pyramid of Khufu was the tallest man-made structure for 3800 years. Here are a couple of pictures I took. This first photo is the Solar Boat Museum that stands next to the Great Pyramid. Notice how small the people look that are standing next to the museum. BTW, the story behind the Solar Boat Museum is interesting too.

egypt2 240_1.jpg

Now here is a picture of the Pyramid of Khufu as it stands near the museum. I had to walk quite a distance away to get this picture. Picture those same people standing by the museum in your mind.

egypt2 247_2.jpg

alsaqr, winds-of-change and ellis36 like this.
  12. tac foley

13. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

Oops, my bad. I forgot North America. My excuse is I'm an old man and don't know what the hell I'm doing anymore.

14. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Where I grew up is a glacial moraine. Formed by the Laurentide ice sheets advance and retreat over a 5000 year period. Approx. 23,000 - 18,000 years ago.
    download (9).jpeg
    Global warming left a beautiful piece of habitable unsorted till that would become my playground, covered in pine and oak and riddled with kettle ponds
    images (14).jpeg
    where we'd swim in summer and cranberry bogs where we'd skate in winter.

tac foley likes this.
  15. JTJ

I made a slight mention of him in my post about the Salutreans. The skull of Kman was controversial.

16. tac foley

Bless your heart, Sir, I'll agree with you that the pyramids ARE a true wonder, but so are the pyramids in Central america - even BIGGER, at least in ground plan area!

winds-of-change and ellis36 like this.
  17. JTJ

18. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

When we lived in Conifer we drove through the Hogback everyday going to work, I cut firewood for the guy caretaking the dragstrip that's on the middle of the west side of the Hogback. Oh yeah and the town of Morrison is just below the Red Rocks, famous for outdoor music.

19. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

The Laurentide was the last ice sheet to cover North America and this is responsible for much of America's far northern geography.
    unnamed (2).jpg
    With it's retreat it also scoured Maine leaving perfect conditions for the state to lead the modern world in production of
    images (1).png
    At one time Maine supplied fully 95% of the world's toothpicks.
    It could also be indirectly responsible, I suppose, for Mr. Chester Greenwood and Chester Greenwood Day every Dec. 21st.
    greenwood2.jpg

See, if we had to stick to Year 0, ol Chester would be forgotten.:D

tac foley likes this.
  20. c3shooter

From that map, it looks like Price Edward Island got a pass on the ice sheet. Why?

boatme98 likes this.