Amazing what can be found in a small town

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Creekside_Sports, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Creekside_Sports

Creekside_Sports New Member

Had a customer walk in today with rifle he just bought at a yard sale, the gentleman who sold it said that it wouldn't work.
    Walks it in the door, asks if I'll clean it and inspect it.
    I start to dig into it and this is what I find.
    10 points to whoever can tell me what this part is and what gun it came out of.
    And before someone asks, yes ATF has been called and yes these parts have been destroyed.

Happy shooting
    --Creekside

Attached Files:

2. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Those are either fully auto sear or three round burst

I am not trying to start a fight or be a a##hole. This is just a question what gives you the right to destroy it and call the ATF ?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

3. Creekside_Sports

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.
    Your right, full auto parts
    Poor guy didn't like the bad news.
    The real funny part is the lower isn't marked with auto or burst. And I'm curious where the previous owner acquired such NFA parts.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

dang, who sells ARs at a yard sale?

5. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Pretty jacked up I thought to pal

6. Creekside_Sports

The fact that my customer is not LE or Military, the serial number on the lower receiver puts the date of manufacture after 1986 and therefore is not in the registry. In addition I have a professional responsibility to not have illegal firearms or parts in my shop.
    It's real simple, I'm not a Class III dealer and when a controlled part that is un-registered show's up in my shop I'm not going to be committing a crime by returning said part.
    I'm sorry if I sound like an a**hole when it comes to this but dealing with Class III weapons/restricted items there is no room for mistakes when dealing with ATF.

Edit: Also, when I spoke with ATF they weren't looking for blood, they just wanted the hammer and sear destroyed.

7. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

What did u do to help him out with the deal then, did u stad behind him an fix it???? If u did I respect that fully, if not well u know, I lost a gun my grandfather brought home from ww2 becouse of the same crap. I was ignorant of the law yes but it was a cherished gun to have him do that sure made alot of bad blood between us

8. Creekside_Sports

I always do my best to fix an issue like this when it crops up with no cost to my customer.
    If I happen to have the parts in stock, they're added for free with no labor. Just the cost of the original work.
    And if they would like to upgrade at this time, I get the parts for them and charge them only my cost...aka, no markup for me and no charge for labor.
    Fortunately these guns don't come in very often, but when they do I love the story behind them.

In this case, he only wants stock AR-15 parts back in with nothing fancy.
    He walked back out the door 3 hours after everything was taken care of.

9. Creekside_Sports

The guys around here, but half the time they don't work right or they're rusted to hell and back again.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Those arent sears. First is a full auto hammer perfectly legal. Second is a full auto disconect again a legal part. The sear itsel is the naughty bit. If the reciever has a third hole above the safety thats the naughty hole that makes a reciever illegal.

Most people grind off the auto notch on those parts to avoid the hassle of different atf agents with different opinions. Since there has not been a real standard in dealing with the illegal ban on fa firearms the batfe can decide on a whim what will land you in jail.

At one point if you had an ar15 and a shoestring in your sneakers the atf could send you to prison...

Most liekly what he bought was a host for a drop in auto sear which is a regiatered nfa part and can be found in post 86 recievers

11. Creekside_Sports

All too true, but why take the chance with an ambitious ATF agent wanting to make a name for himself.

For the record, the receiver did not have the 3rd hole giving it the ability to be full auto with a disconnect. However it did have the entire trigger group including the auto sear.
    Just not hooked up correctly.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

The auto sear looks like a little rectangle with a leg to attach a spring. Three round burst parts are a little different and have a rachet type gear in there.

Getting rid of em is a good idea though.

Without the third hole he couldnt have had a sear in there unless it was just rattling aroumd loose

When i bought my m1 carbine. Itook it home and took it apart the previous owner had all the innards for a m2 carbine. Unregistered. They are all sitting at the bottom of the local river. Had to buy new innards for it.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

You, me, and anyone can order a FA bolt and parts kit. Just need that pesky little sear. BUT, having a FA LPK and a stripped receiver, OR having the FA LPK assembled,EVEN if it lacks a sear....

Constitutes as intent, and you won't be the first Guy in history to be hemmed up for itm

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

You are a good gunsmith my respect to u an to your shop, I have seen it happen an the customer was in a nut shell screwed, becouse they didnt have to really do anything but u did thats 5 stars in my book

15. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Thanks for explaining it . And sure as hell don't want to see you lose your FFL for any reason . Great job

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The auto sear and the third hole are the real "needed" parts/features, but you will get time in the pokey for any F/A lower parts. The only one they "might" overlook is the bolt carrier. I too am wondering how an auto sear could be installed "incorrectly"? No hole, no workee. JB Weld anyone?

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

And...an FFL dealer/gunsmith has a duty to report such things. In this day and age, you do not think ATF is opposed to setting a dealer up with such a scenario? Just another scalp. You would be a damn fool to not report it. That is unless you are fond of getting azz raped in prison.

18. Creekside_Sports

Wasn't JB Weld, but a ton of grease that made the whole trigger group sluggish and not work correctly.

When I was in school, they said basically the same thing...The only FA part you can have is a carrier and even then don't advertise such things.
    Since leaving school and getting the shop up and running I don't want to take any chances to have it all go down the drain, hence the letting ATF know and destroying said parts.
    But I don't think this was a setup or a sting, the town is just a little too small for ATF to not make a big splash before they did anything.

19. tcustoms

tcustoms New Member

Quoted for truth. There is nothing illegal about having those parts. period

20. m72law

m72law New Member

This reminds me of a few years back when my wife & i was at a flemarket.

A few sellers there selling firearms,parts,ammo,ect.I walked up to this table,the guy had a bunch of ak,ar,fal,parts laying out.I notcied he had big wooden crate with a bunch of mixed parts,mags,ect. thrown into it.I asked him about the crate & he tells me any & everything in the crate is 5 dollars per item..wasnt a bad deal i figured,so i started digging through the crate of parts,i had laid out a few parts on the ground,as i got closer to the bottom of this crate & saw what blew my mind was a lightning link for an ar15:eek:I chunked all those parts back into the crate,stood up,grabbed my wife & hauled butt away from the seller and his sh*T.

not knowing much about the drop in (what ever) & being i owned 7 AR's @ the time,i just didnt think it was a good idea to bring home that peice of tin & wind up in club-FED for the next 10 years...but it does make me wonder,why is something so illegal to own,so easy to get OR find @ a fleamarket???:confused: :rolleyes:...BATFE need to change thier name to EFAAGO=(entrapment for all american gun owners)