am new in usa

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by fadisahouri, Oct 5, 2012.

1. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

hello i just want to know what to do to get a gun in california i have green card (perament resident card), i went to gun store and the seller told me i have to get california id or driver license and proof of residency (3 months gas and electrecity invoice) and gun safty test... i know all of these am only not sure about the residency proof, and what gun stores is the best in los angeles

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, and to the US.

In order to purchase a gun, you must meet Federal law, and state laws of the state where you live. Federal law requires you have two forms of ID that show where you live. CA will have laws regarding training, etc. You can show residency from a lease, utility bills, car registration, etc.

Best bet- find a smaller dealer, visit them at a NON-busy time, and they can point you in the right direction. We also have State forums on here- check with your fellow Californians for good places to shop in LA.

3. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Welcome Fadisa, C3 wont steer you wrong. Your in a highly regulated state, follow the rules locally and you should be fine. Good luck and enjoy the forum.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe you will be allowed to own a ling gun but not a handgun with a resident alien card.

5. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

I dont know the laws in cali, I live in arizona and I own plenty of handguns and I have a resident alien card.

6. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

thanks every one... i have apartmen lease contract for one year. is this enough i just trying to avoide waiting 3 months

7. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

I always use my bank statements, but a lease should work

8. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

You really need to get a CA ID. You will have problems with banks and other financial institutions without a state issued ID. Welcome to the US and I hope you have a great life here. CA is a great place to start. I train horses for a living. My first stable that was really my own was located at Hollywood Park in Inglewood, CA.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Robo- resident alien is good for handgun/long gun. Non-resident alien may be restricted. Resident alien has lifetime right of residency, classed as "emmigrant".

10. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Welcome to the US and the forum, glad to hear the you interested in purchasing a firearm. It sucks that you have to deal with so much BS as you do now in Kalifornia about purchasing a weapon. Thank God that I live here in Az.

11. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

thanks every one thats helped alot... am going to ally for deiving lisience and the take the lease contract and we will see what will hapen

12. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

i just received my gun sig p229 .40 ... all i needed is my green card + california driver license + leasing agreement... thanks every one for helping

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Cool, share some pictures of your first range session.

We love pictures of new and new to you guns. Heck we like old pictures of old guns. ;)

14. Garadex

Garadex New Member

And I'm 100% sure that getting a gun, even in Kalifornia, is easier than where you used to live.

15. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

i will share pictures next time

16. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

yes easier than where i used to live... when you purchase a gun in jordan first you have to find a handgun since hand guns are band from import you have to find a seller who have hand gun (it complicated) you have to pay for the gun then you have to take the gun papers and go to police stations they will take your finger prints and informations then they will send with you a cop ( after 3 hours of waiting) and the you and cop will go bring the handgun from the seller and you have to take it to the criminal information department and give them the firearms then you have to go to the firearms license department to give them the papers then you have to take the cop back to the police station after 14 days you have to go back to the firearms department to take the license and then to the criminal information department to take your firearm... but the positive that you can have 33 round magazine and if you have loaded gun it will not get you a big trouble...

17. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Dang that is crazy! Well we're glad to have you on the forum and in the country.

18. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Correct. I'm a Green Card holder and can own anything just like a Citizen.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The 229 is a great pistol. I'm sure you will love it. Welcome to the U.S.A and the forum.:)