Am I the only one

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by kycol, Sep 28, 2014.

1. kycol

kycol New Member

I have never sold or traded any firearm I have ever owned. I have had guns past down to me. Given to me as presents from wife and kids. I have bought a lot. I have every one of them, with the exception of ones I have given my son. I will never sell or trade one. I burned my initials in old English on the stocks of some of my most prized rifles. People have told me it looks good, but they can't believe I did it. I don't care if it hurt the resale values because I ain't ever selling one. I can only hope that when they bury me and my son and grandsons keep them in the family. But what the hay, I'll be gone and won't know. Now I have not burnt my initials or altered any that my father past down to me. I take great pains to preserve them as they were when I got them. Yes I have bought a couple that were a little disappointing for some reason or another. And I know that many would not hesitate to sell or trade those off, but not me. Even though I may be disappointed the reason I bought them is still valid.

So again I ask, I'm I the only one out there?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

2. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I have sold several -
    Some, when I entered the service and did not expect to return for them. (.22 pistol, .22 rifle, 7MM Japanese military rifle)
    One, to trade for a greatly superior piece. (Stoeger Luger for a High Standard Trophy Citation Military)
    One, to allow me to make a house payment. (Broomhandle Mauser in great condition)

And I dearly wish I had EVERY ONE of them back right now -

I have not sold one for several decades now, nor will I ever do so again.

3. kycol

kycol New Member

My dad has a Stoeger Luger. I have the Ermma Luger. That is one I was disappointed in, jams a lot.

4. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have never sold one but traded one and given two away, only because I could detect the desire of them owning it more than me for whatever reason.

5. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

My rule of thumb is never sell or trade I also have every gun I've ever owned still in my possession I can see when I get old and I mean really old maybe often them at that point but hopefully I can just pass them down I kind of look at them as an investment also. better than gold

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have had a few that I was disappointed in that I sold. I have somewhere around 30 guns out in my safe. I don't have anything I want to part with now. But I know a lot more about guns then I did when I started. I had some Jennings and a High Point that I sold. Don't miss the Jennings. I would buy another High Point if I found a great deal on it. I have sold two Taurus pistols. I don't want either of them back!

7. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I gave away a gem once.
    I had a Flobert parlor rifle in some wild rimfire caliber with half a box of cartridges for it.
    My buddy, visiting from out-of-state, was simply awed at it - he and his son each fired one bullet through it - so I secreted it in his travel trailer and told his wife not to tell him until they were too far down the road to drive back and return it -
    I knew he would not accept it otherwise.
    I know he has enjoyed owning that gun - as much as I enjoyed giving it to him.

And that is the ONLY gun I have parted with for which I have zero regret!!

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Over the years I've Traded 3 for upgrades and sold one to a good friend.

No regrets.

To me, guns are tools with a purpose. It's the skill and character of the shooter that I value.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the beauty of the mechanical engineering and aesthetics that go into many of them, but seeing the joy and pride of ownership on a friend who's just aquired their dream gun is far more interesting that the gun itself.

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

The only gun I got rid of was a Ruger LCP. Hated, absolutely hated, that nasty little gun. Traded it for an NAA Pug.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think that you are the 'only one', but you are truly in the minority!:D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  11. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hahaha now that right there ought to be the FTF quote of the year...funny way of referring to a gun. :)

12. kycol

kycol New Member

I gave my Jennings to my son. I told him he may not want to shoot the jamamatic, but it was the first pistol I ever bought myself.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I hope to never have to sell any of my guns. I see too many people who sell a gun then regret it. I like all my guns so far.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

What did he do to deserve that?

15. kycol

kycol New Member

LOL......I told him it was a paper weight shaped like a gun.

16. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I've sold a few and I do regret selling a couple of them. Bottom line is when money is tight you do what you have to and not what you want to. Keeping guns is a want and not a need. I hope no one finds themselves in that position on money but many of us have been there and will be there again at some point in the future. If you ever do have to sell a gun to pay some bills just be thankful you had it to sell. At the end of the day guns are material things and most of them can be replaced. A few have sentimental value that can't be replaced and those are the ones that it hurts to sell. But we do what we have to when times are tough. :cool:

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I've tried to sell a few but never actually gone through with it. I have inherited a few as well. Probably won't ever sell one either, I think there are a few reasons for that. First is that I am not in financial difficulties and don't expect to be in the future, second is that I wouldn't sell a gun for less than I FEEL it's worth because I don't NEED to... meaning I probably won't sell any because it's rare that sentimental value is lower than market price.

18. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

A long time ago I let my Brother trade a shotgun and rifle, he was hunting with for down payment on their home. Never have sold or traded one. There are a lot I would love to have. Most of mine would not be termed collectable but I like them.

19. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Yep, this is so true. about 20 years ago, I sold my Ruger GP100, High Standard Victor, and AMT 380 "backup".

Regret it and kick myself for doing so.

20. kycol

kycol New Member

Oh no, not a Victor. What in the world were you thinking. LOL