Am I the only one that carries a large gun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mesinge2, May 20, 2011.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

My question is: Who else carries a large gun?

First let me describe myself: I am 6' 1" and not skinny. Ok, let's face it I'm a big guy. Heck, jca1 made me an 8 foot 500 lb intergalactic bigfoot. See, that me with a 6" security six in a rig on my belt. I go shopping wearing this 6" piece, minus the shot gun, though.

[​IMG]

Anyways, I always see these posts where people say "don't buy this it a great range gun but too big for carry". And I am sitting here with that gun on my hip :confused:. I routinely carry one of four guns. Usually I carry either one of my 5" 1911s or my 3" barrel 44 mag S&W model 629. Now, these weapons' grips were too narrow so I ordered larger grips for them. For the 1911 I got thick cut grips for both my Colt Combat Elite and my Kimber TLE. See below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

The 44's grip was too small so I bought a hogue grip that is actually still too small but it good enough:

[​IMG]

The fourth gun I carry once and a while is my Beretta 92 in a homemade holster. And I carry it with a 20 round Mec-Gar Optium mag and a pachmayr sleeve because the grip was too narrow. I use the 20 round mag because I am a big bore fan and feel that if I am going to carry a 9mm, it should at least have a good mag capacity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This next pic is my XDm-45 just to show you hand size:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011

3. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I carry a 1911 5" and I'm not as big as you. I have no trouble concealing it.

4. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I've carried a p266 for a little bit, I do prefer smaller pistol, Its easier for me to conceal(5'10" 170) I tend to wear shorts and a t-shirt to work, So the smaller the better for me at times.

5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I'm a skinny little joker, 5'11", 135lbs. I've been known to carry a full size 1911 or full size Glock 17. Lately my normal EDC has been a Glock 19.

I prefer to carry a full or medium size gun whenever possible because the larger frame gives me more to hold onto, therefore a more secure grip, plus more ammo capacity, larger caliber, etc.

That being said, I do carry a tiny Keltec P32 as a BUG, but for a primary weapon give me something big!

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I keep wanting the Ruger LCP or SIG 238, but then when I feel it in a shop :eek:
    I immediately change my mind. I can usually only get one finger on the grip.

I also carry this in a vertical shoulder rig once and a while, just for the heck of it:

[​IMG]

7. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I've played with concealing my S&W mod 66 like this only with a 4" barrel...
    [​IMG]

and my American Classic II 5" 1911...
    [​IMG]

I don't have a IWB holster yet, so I've just played with a Mikes OWB holster stuck IWB or no holster at all. What I've found so far is the revolver is much easier to conceal because of the shape and angle of the grip. It's not just a big square block sticking out from your body with sharp corners like the 1911 has.

Having said that, I'm waiting for my Super Tuck to get here...right now I'm sure I could carry the .357 wheel gun but still have doubts about the 1911.

8. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

The model 66 is a beautiful gun. I have the 19, same gun just blued; and it is my favorite Smith and Wesson 357 mag.

9. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Gonna kill my camera just not working, same gun taurus model 66 .357 mag I carry it in a old shoulder holster. I don't really like to carry a semi auto, to many moving parts, as a 246 pound 5,10" redneck I understand needing bigger grips completely, then again what would the world be without us big guys.

Attached Files:

10. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

+1, LadyHawk is always trying to take it away from me. :mad:

That's me only about 14 lbs lighter, but I have the opposite problem. I've got short fingers and have a hard time holding the biggest grips...then my fingers are fat, so I have a hard time holding the littlest grips too. :eek: That's why I like my mod. 66 so much. It's just the right size for me. or my wife. :eek:

11. colmustard

colmustard New Member

The only small gun I carry is a j-frame .38, other than that I rock a 1911 or a sigma in .40, I am 6' 2" and 225 pounds. I dont have much of an issue with larger guns, I find the weight rather nice.

12. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I carry a full size Sig 226 in 357Sig.

[​IMG]

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

How many rounds does that hold?

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I carry a large gun for balance. :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  15. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I carry a full size M&P 40 the majority of the time.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I carried a full sized Colt Government Model for years, usually in a Ted Blocker 911. I'm 6' and hover between 180 and 200. When it wasn't in a holster, I just Mexican carried.

Same with Glock 17s and 19s, but they were usually in a Mad Dog kydex IWB or Galco Jak Slide.

17. opaww

opaww New Member

I carry a small single shot handgun

Attached Files:

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nope, not the only one;

Fenrir (fen-rear) [Norse mythology - [​IMG] IT!) is the name I have given my Colt Government XSE with the CCG 460 Rowland kit installed. Yes Virgina, it's a bad mamajama and my thigh rig for SHTF, zombie slayin' fun!

On the few occasions I needed to go heavy, but just a tad lighter than requiring a rifle, I have carried the wolf IWB.

[​IMG]

Although the conditions requiring this much fire-power are rare (a night pick-up of friends at the Miami airport or the first meeting of a "new" date that has come collecting my daughter) the carrying of Fenrir is comfortable in the X-Breed Super Tuck but because of the barrel length, not real practical. (See: Thigh Rig above) This comfort speaks more to the holster than the gun.

I have used the same holster to carry my FS Government 1911 as an EDC but only in the cooler weather. The warmer it gets I really need to go to a smaller gun to keep belt-less pants up. My true cool weather EDC has become my 9mm Browning HP carried in the same X-Breed.

[​IMG]

I'm 6'2" or 6'3" (depending which 7-Eleven I'm exiting) and on the big end of 200#. I could conceal my Colt 6940 with little trouble but have never had a carry tell because I dress for the situation.

If you are aware (NOT conspicuous) of your self and your environment, you will have two benefits:
    1. Never being spotted carrying and,
    2. Never need to use said gun!

Be safe out there. - cane

19. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I like full size pistols, my usual carry is a Sig P226. As soon as I order in a Crossbreed for it, it will probably be my only carry piece.

In the mean time, in shorts and a golf shirt, Sig P239 in a Crossbreed simply disappears.

I don't qualify as a little guy either, 5' 11" @225 lbs.

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have a carry setup for my XDm45, but don't use it due it's size. The one full sized gun that I will carry is my BHP. It's slim and works fine OWB if I'm wearing a jacket. Otherwise, it's micro for me (Kel-Tec PF9). I can carry it in any attire.

I'm of average size...6-1, 190. But I'm pretty active, wear shorts a lot, and hate carrying more than necessary. I don't even like wearing a watch because it feels like extra clutter. So anyway, carrying at all is a mild departure from my typical routine in the past...which makes minimal size/weight important to me.