Am I ready for competitive shooting?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by clax, May 19, 2011.

1. clax

clax New Member

I know that any shooting sport has some of the best sportsmen in it (meaning that even if I suck I will not be ridaculed) the shooters I have met aside from a very small few have been really supportive. That is the numberone reason I like the sport.

At 21 feet I land all of my 45 cal pistol shots in a 1 foot square, and. 22 in a 4 inch square, would this atleast put some placement in a compatition

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That's a good start! It takes a lot of trigger time to improve.

3. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

You might want to get a little tighter groups at the range, because they will get bigger when you're under the stress of the timer. Also, I was surprised when I did my first (and only USPSA match) I do 90% of my practice at 7 yds. and out of the 5 courses I shot 2 of them were at twice that distance.

You'll also want to practice changing magazines, especially tactical reloads (change mag before 1st mag is empty) as that will make or brake your time. You have a lot more time to concentrate on accurate shooting if you're not wasting precious seconds clearing taping mags that you didn't get in all the way the first time.

Above all, have fun and JUST DO IT! Even the worst shooter there has a blast, and no one will try to make you look like a fool. In fact, they go out of their way to 'cater' to the new shooter/competitor.:)

4. clax

clax New Member

Thanks for the input that is the main reason I like shooting sports the competetors are very friendly.

5. clax

clax New Member

I practice mag changes very often, even when I don't shoot because I train for work, armed security, hopefully soon to be one of san antonios finest. So quick action is part of my routine, I carry a 1911, regular mag and make myself count the rounds to seven before a mag change but I should not empty them.

6. socket462

socket462 New Member

I think you are completely ready for shooting from what you say. What you need to work on is your spelling! You'll only get better with practice! (for both items) lol..

Go for it! I shoot IDPA and its some of the best fun I have had in years! (my wedding night excepted ;) )

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. sgtdusmc

sgtdusmc New Member

I think that determing if you are ready to compete should be based more on your knowledge of the safty rules and the actual stages of the match. You will be welcome if you are 1 safe and 2 flow thru the match without holding up other competitors. that will be of much more concern to them than your score.

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Best advise yet. ;)

Hey sgtdusmc, stop by the INTRODUCTIONS thread and give us a little intro about yourself, it's entirely your decision, but never the less, welcome to the forum! :cool:

9. clax

clax New Member

I am dislexic, thanks you are a nice aren't you

10. clax

clax New Member

Thanks for the input

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Look at USPSA/IPSC. You will likely find a welcoming crowd. I have only met one person at matches in Austin and Waco I would not invite to the hosue for dinner and I am a very private person. There must be 3-4 clubs in the Houston area (at the very least).

12. Sh00tnButt

Sh00tnButt New Member

USPSA Matches

here is some basic info for you .. First Match its from my area but they are all the same .. i recently started USPSA & CQB matches myself .. you will enjoy the hell out of it .. don't worry about the competition until your comfortable .. Safety, Accuracy and then speed will come .. its very addicting ..

here are few more links:
    Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association
    Locate USPSA Clubs - USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association

Stay Safe ..
    SB

13. ocpd806

ocpd806 New Member

First off what kind of competition do you want to start first? IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, SASS? Also what gun will you be using?

IDPA is geared to practical carry guns and gear, USPSA has divisions for any pistol.

I have been shooting competition for a while now and I love it. I am pretty good now, My classification just went up to "A" in USPSA Limited. I am an Oklahoma Police Officer for 14 years now, when I started competition shooting I thought since I am a LEO I would be good, but it didnt go that way. But with practice and the race gun that I built, I have become much better. Also it is not bullseye shooting, a Alpha is a Alpha, the sport is geared around speed. You want to go as fast as you can while still getting good hits.

People in the competition shooting sport, are great people. Nobody makes fun of you if you dont shoot very well. They are always willing to offer advice on how to improve, its all about having fun, unless it is a major match.

14. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

Here's a 5-shot group of mine. Yes it's 5 not 4. My question is this: should I be more concentrated on speed? This group took about 3 seconds per shot. This was done at 21 feet with my Glock 17.

Attached Files:

15. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That's not bad at all!

If you can consistently do that, bring that stray down and make a tighter grouping, while knocking some time off between each shot, your there! :D

[​IMG]

16. MrGrumpy89

MrGrumpy89 Member

Well you will never know if you don't try. I my self have never done a competition, but if ever given the chance hell I would just go for it.

17. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

comps are made up of many COMPETITERS, not just the winner

18. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

Just do it !! that's what I did this year, I have been in 3 USPSA matches this year, and the are fun and friendly. I compete in single stack with a STI Trojan 1911.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have competed several times. I found out that I am middle of the road when it comes to competition. I thought I was really somebody until I was up against other serious shooters. Don't worry about if you are good enough. Just be safe and have a good time. It is so much more fun than just going to the range. After you have done it a few times compete against yourself. Just try to beat your last score. That is what really matters. Well, next to being safe anyway.