Am I Crazy???

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mrb1982, Nov 17, 2011.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

So my dad had an old 223 Ruger Mini-14, Ranch I believe, with peep sights. Cool little gun, fun to shoot. My dad probably shot a couple deer with this thing. I have the hankering to to try to kill a deer with this thing myself. I am thinking about outfitting this thing with an old Simmons 3-10 scope on it. So a couple questions.

I know that these things have a reputation for being not very inherantly accurate. Will it have a chance of being accurate enough to possible shoot a deer in the neck at 100yds?

Secondly, I will have to put a rail on this thing I am guessing to put a scope on it. Anybody have a specific recommendation on one?

I don't expect this to be any sort of a long range rifle, but I would be happy if it was proficient at 200yd.

Any input or opinion would be appreciated. I could probably just shoot it with peep sights too, but I would feel a little more comfortable with it with a scope I guess.

2. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

2-3" groups at 100 yards are not out of reach. Well within your wants/needs
    check the twist of your barrel, Ruger has used several different barrels/twists

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Answer to the 1st question is yes.:D
    Personally I dont think the 223 is enough for deer. Yes it will kill one with proper placement. The Mini can be made accurate enough for hunting. Scope mounting would depend on which series you have. I dont think too much of the Simmons scopes because of past experience with them.

4. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I don't know about shooting deers. But then that's me.
    I'd rather shoot drug-dealers if impunity was meted out
    with as much indifference as with deer killing. Hey! But
    that's me.

5. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Am you krazy? Dont know about that. Am you inexperenced at hunting? I get that impression. The neck shot on a deer is actually a very small target only about 4" of vital area. Too high and the deer goes down but soon recovers and runs away with a severe gastly most likely deadly wound. But the deer may suffer for weaks before expiring of high fever and infection. Too low and there will be little immediate effect but with its windpipe damaged he could live long enough to starve to death. The lung cavity is the premier bullet placement on all but dangerous game at spitting distance. Save an animal and shoot for the lung cavity.

6. Werminator

Werminator Member

Agreed... I don't know who instructed you to execute a deer using a neck shot but their advice is a bit lacking... A perfect shot in the vital zone of the neck would be effective but the likelihood of such a shot is low enough I wouldn't risk potentially torturing the poor creature... The heart and lungs is your money shot and a mini14 should be effective enough for a kill in this zone... .223 is a fairly small bullet but there are other factors outside of diameter that influence the effecacy of a bullet... Just for gods sake don't load it up with FMJ rounds... I met a guy hunting with surplus FMJ because it was so much cheaper than alternative loads and after the story he relayed about shooting the animal 4 times to bring it down I wanted to turn my .243 on him and rid the world of one more idiot...

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Is .223 legal for hunting deer where you live? In Colorado the minimum caliber is .24.

8. PatrickHarrison

PatrickHarrison New Member

The .223 hollow point or soft point or custom reloads in a ruger mini 14 is an excelent deer gun my uncles mini 14 has a simmon 3x9 he uses for tougher hogs and its real accurate at 100 yards 1-2 inch shot groups so you aint crazy itll be just fine, hopefully bahaha jk ;) the mount im not sure of tho. O another thing no neck shot thats to hard of bone for .222 bullet my .243 hit a bucks neck at o mm bout 10 yards and rolled the deer it crawled on its back for 20 yards hit a bank got sturdy and it got up straight n took off like a bat outa hell never to be seen again. So keep to musles organs inner ear shot the soft stuff ,not hard bone shots ie neck n back bone shoulders hindquarters for safe measures. Its good to see someone else tryin somethin tell us how it goes!! :D

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yes, you're crazy, but it's a good thing.

I'd go with that simmons scope , or one similar to it would match the

capabilities of the rifle, IMO, but what are you

doing about length of pull?-

The minis I've tried have all had very short stocks, which isn't bad on a

carbine, but can be very tough on accurate distance shooting.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I pretty much agree with all the above :cool:
    If you mount a scope dont get cheap! A B Square is a pretty good mount for the mini 14, the cheap one work loose quick in my exsperience :(

11. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Point one to address, I looked more closely at the gun, not really a way to mount a rail on it without some machining, so I'm not worried.

Point two, I have shot more than enough deer to know a thing or two about hunting, only been doing it for 18 years. I've shot many many many deer in the neck, never had one leave where it was standing. Works great for shooting does for sausage. Maybe more people should try it sometime. Agreed, 223 isn't my favorite caliber for shooting deer, but can be done. I roll with a 7mm Rem Mag and if something goes wrong with that, I have a 270 for backup. Like I said, never had a deer I shot in the neck leave the spot it was standing when I shot it. I've shot a deer in the head which ended up taking the jaw off and had it run away. That is why I am a fan of the neck shot. I only shoot does for sausage this way. Bucks get shot in the heart.

Yes, the simmons scope sucks, won't argue. It's what I got laying around, and I'm not going to put something high dollar on a mini.

Really, all I asked was about mounting scoped and rails on the Mini, I don't need tips on killing deer. Just asked if a mini was capable of shooting the groups I was curious about. I got my answer. If anybody else has any opinion not involving my 18 years of what people seem to think is inexperience, please keep it to yourselves. Thanks.

12. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Actually, I think this thread may have somewhat frusterated me to the point of just closing it. Thanks for everybody's input I guess.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well bye now :p
    FYI- You cant close it :rolleyes:

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yours may have a side mount and is possibly a 181 series. Look at the serial number and the 1st 3 numbers are the series. Mine is a 189 and is milled for Ruger rings. Plug scope mount for Ruger xxx series into Google or other search engine and it should give you some options.

15. TLuker

TLuker New Member

You can also check out the mini 14 section in "Semi autos" for some great information on the mini.

16. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

hahaha I found this out after I tried to do it. lol I know you used to be able to do it on archerytalk and since this appears to be a duplicate of it, I figure it would work. Oh well. haha

Thanks for the info. I hadn't shot the gun in a while and thought it was equiped in a way I could put a rail and a scope on it. I probably wouldn't go through the work of having it tapped for a scope but you never know.

Sorry I got a little worked up in some of my previous posts. I was just a little suprised that my thread asking questions about a certain gun turned into a thread bashing on how I shoot deer. My extremely short fuse was set off. I apologize

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Awww, we love to take left turns, streach things out, make simple things difficult, & generaly just confuse the original issue :p

18. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

lol good point. It might br stranger if we didn't I suppose, huh?

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

So, I guess this would be a bad time to ask how that LOP is

working out?:cool:

20. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Well, I am a pretty tall, big guy and to be honest, this mini 14 is almost like shooting as far as size goes. Not a rifle that fits me great at all. It was probably great for my dad who was 5'9". My Sendero fits me much better. hehehe Maybe what I should really do is instead of putting a scope on the mini, just shoot it with the peep sights it has and practice with it fairly religiously and give it a whirl, but have the Sendero on backup. hahaha

Worst case scenario, one of the places where I hunt doesn't have a magazine capacity limit so I could always throw the 30rd clip in and go with the "more lead is better" theory. hahaha Not really my style though.