Alzheimer's Disease

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dog2000tj, Sep 3, 2011.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Some of you may know that my Dad has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease after his heart attack in 09'. To other's this will be a cliff's notes version of events, my thanks in advance for your time.

On New Years night 09' my father suffered a major heart attack, at the same time he went into a diabetic coma and was rushed to the hospital. The next morning our family was given some devastating news - Dad had 90% blockage of his entire heart, a condition he must have been living with for years. At the same time we were told his blood sugar levels had been out of control, routinely in the 400-500 range. He received quintuple bypass surgery within 3 days and then moved to a recovery center for the next month.

Almost immediately our family recognized a major problem - Dad had no recollection of his heart attack and couldn't explain his current condition. We were told from many of the Doctors that this was normal and to be expected. When we brought Dad home a month later we knew for certainty that something was seriously wrong. Dad erupted in anger, asking for us to take him home, refused to take his medicine and was completely belligerent.

After a couple of months of this behavior and a rash of Doctors visits we were finally referred to Columbia University Medical Center. A battery of tests were run but even before the results came back the team of Doctors assured us that Dad had Alzheimer's, possibly dementia as well. A week later the test results confirmed the diagnoses, Dad was 65 at the time.

I am sad to say that this disease set upon Dad fast and hard and within about 8 months he was nearly gone. Physically he is as strong as an ox but mentally he is no longer with us. The best we can do now is try to make sure he is comfortable, feed and bath him and give him the medicine that keeps him alive.

I know many people have had to deal with illness in their families, my heart and prayers go out to you. This disease is abhorrent and no way for a person to spend their golden years. Next month my sisters and I are walking to raise money for Alzheimer's research. If it's in you to give it would be greatly appreciated, if not than some kind thoughts and prayers for those that suffer from it would be just as appreciated.

Again I thank you for your time

http://2011walktoendalz.kintera.org...&kntae456224=D7860B30B82B49A0AA0325D7C29F730F

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Darren:

You and your family have my prayers and support...

3. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Our hopes and prayers go out to your family. We hope everything turns out well in the end.

Zoey,

4. OC357

OC357 New Member

Prayers going out to you and your family.

OC

5. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Prayers sent. Support for the cause too.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Darren, this insidious disease took my Dad in 2008 and now my younger Sister has early onset. I have/am lived it!

Knee-mail inbound.

God bless you and your family with the strength to get through this nightmare of an illness!

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Prayers coming your way.

My wife has it.

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes folks. To those who have family suffering as well my prayers and thoughts are with you too.

9. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Alzheimer's is such an insidious disease and it doesn't discriminate in terms of age or sex. My Father has had several "mini" strokes and is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Dementia. After 30 years in the Corps and this man that raised me is now struggling with memory losses and speech impediments. I know the pain you and your family are going through and my heart and prayers go out to you and yours.

10. Car54

Car54 New Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. My Dad died in 2009 from the disease, and my mother in law was diagnosed with the disease a little over a year ago.

It's extremely difficult for the families to deal with, and a shame to watch the deterioration from a once vibrant person.

11. opaww

opaww New Member

My Dad is the same way he just has not got to the stage of not remembering anything yet

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Darren, My thoughts and prayers are going out to you and your family.