Alternative to lewis lead remover.

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by PaBushMan, Aug 14, 2019.

1. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I was thinking about using a Faucet brass screen over a jag. I have a lot of coated bullets loaded with tite group and its causing leading. The copper wool trick helps but its still a lot of work. I don't want to buy a lewis kit for 9mm 40sw and 45 acp. I don't feel like pulling over 500 loads.

2. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

Just shove a tightly fitting wad of 0000 steel wool down the barrel a couple of times.
    No, it won't hurt the bore.

PaBushMan likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Or shoot a few standard pressure jacketed bullets through the bore.

I did this for many years before I got my Outer's "foul out."

sheepdawg and PaBushMan like this.
  4. PaBushMan

Thanks i'll give the chase the lead with jacketed a try. And then if i have some fine lead slivers left i think the fine steel wool would help. Im aware it is a softer steel. I use it for other things so i always have some around. Should have thought of that myself.

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe a small piece if scotchbright vs. steel wool? To be honest I've never tried it.

6. BillDeShivs

Scotchbrite WILL cut steel.

locutus likes this.
  7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

So will steel wool. Ever try a good bore brush? Bronze is harder than lead and softer than steel.

8. BillDeShivs

Steel wool is not hard enough to damage rifling when used occasionally. I work with metals every day. I use steel wool to remove rust from steel blades without harming the finish.

Mercator likes this.
  9. PaBushMan

I have worn out many bore brushes. I did learn i can order individual ones instead of buying single ones at walmart that came with a mop. So i did stock up on brushes. I'll be glad to get though these tite group loads. 380 and 9mm are the worst offenders. 45 acp and 40sw are not as bad with it. 38 spec no issues at all. I found out i was leading when accuracy was staring to go out the window. A wet patch and brush and dry patch was fine for powder residue so i thought all was fine. Im using Alliants sport pistol now. It's designed for coated bullets it's been good. Im just using 2 of my easy to take down guns to run these tg loads out. The left over T'G im loading jacked bullets.

10. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Member

You can make a down and dirty lead remover using aluminum screen wire and a bristle brush. Fold wire over brush and have at it. Works good and will not damage anything. Been using this for years without a problem.

locutus likes this.
  11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Birchwood Casey lead removal & polishing cloth works. Just cut some patches. It will also remove carbon. Available on Amazon.

12. BillDeShivs

Just don't use it on blued guns, as it will remove bluing.

tac foley likes this.
  13. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

I'm old school so I still have a bottle of mercury on my bench. Cork in one end of the barrel pour a little mercury in the barrel; cork the other end and shake for about 4 or 5 seconds; uncork and pour the mercury back in the bottle and done. Lead is COMPLETELY gone (mercury emulsifies lead). Been using the same one pound bottle of mercury for 30 or so years now. NOTHING removes lead better or faster; and no damage to gun finish or anything else.

Mercator likes this.
  14. BillDeShivs

You'll give the young members the vapors!

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  15. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Pure copper scrub pads from Amazon Prime. Unravel some and wrap enough around a bore brush to make it a tight fit. Clean gun as usual with Hoppes, NOT a copper cleaner. A package of 10 will last you a lifetime.

In absolutely fine with steel wool too but in my opinion 0000 is way too fine for lead removal. You need the coarser stuff.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  16. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

That’s okay nobody knows he can’t hand write :D

Soaking in Sweet-something lead solvent and scrubbing with “lead paper” patches is what I did on used barrels.
    BTW do you know why lead paper always turns black no matter how clean the bore?

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Guessing... The barrel is never truly clean?

18. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Clean by any measure until you push a lead paper patch through it. Lead paper also turns black on a clean, polished stainless steel bench. Thought it was oxidation, not dirt.

19. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

I always get a kick out of the reactions. My thought is if you can't handle mercury safely then you can't handle a gun safely. But I'm just silly that way.

20. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Member

Aluminum screen wire works well on barrels and on bullet molds.

PaBushMan likes this.