Alternating Ammo FMJ and JHP.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by CipsterX, May 14, 2012.

1. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Do this with my .380 ONLY. First shot Winchester PDX1 next Rem UMC and so on. Both 95grain.

I would not recommend this with higher calibers do to over penetration but with a .380 I believe it's a good idea.

Thoughts?

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Buffalo Bore 90gr hardcast.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would recommend fmj in anything smaller than 9mm. I alternate in 9mm hoping the first 7 hollows will get the job done. All hollows in the .45

4. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I run all the same type.

If alternating, what happens when you flub one and get the targets/ammo out of sequence?

Really, this stuff is getting rather silly.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Why is it silly? If I have to fire more than 3 shots do you honestly think I'm gonna give a sh#t if I goin the fourth and have to follow it with fmj? The fact is I should never have to shoot more than 3

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I have seen successful tests for expansion & penetration on three brands of .380 ammo, PDX1 being one of them, & feel confident that they will get the job done, so no need to alternate. If I lived in an exceptionally cold climate where the bad guy would be wearing multiple layers of heavy clothing, I'd consider switching to FMJ during the winter months. The tests I've seen included 4 layers of denim as a barrier, so I don't believe normal clothing will be an issue.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Educated decision. Can't argue. I'm in an area where it gets cold and layered clothing including leather is an issue.

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I like critical defense, 185 grain polymer filled hollow points running 1100fps I believe.

9. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I want ammo that works well across all situations, not ammo that might excel at one and perform less than well in another. Mixing ammo means you're stacking the variables to where it might hinder performance substantially.

BTW, badguys can come in multiples and use cover.

10. Polygon

Polygon New Member

That's what I use as well. And now Hornady has Critical Duty which has even better penetration.

11. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

It's too good. Critical defense will do what you need. If you use critical duty, you better be on duty. Shooting through cars and windshields probably means you were not in immediate fear for your life.

That is one round that will be darn near impossible to defend in personal defense cases.

12. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

The first two bullets in both my 380 and 45 are Hornady Critical Defense HPs followed by PMC FMJs.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

A good defensive shooting it wont matter if you use a 50bmg or a pellet gun. Its only when your actions are deemed iffy at best that commercially made defensive ammunition possibly comes into question.

Such as firing a warning shot or shooting someone after he punches you in the nose for chasing him down after the police told you to stay put... etc. At that point when the discharge of a firearm goes from self defense to possible murder or manslaughter, thats when they take your gun apart look at your ammo, read your internet history, talk to your friends, relatives, coworkers etc.

14. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

To use a variety of ammo in one magazine may cause a cop, grand jury, or DA to consider you to have given more than a normal amount of attention to the amount of damage you wanted to do. It may hurt your chances of looking like an innocent victim. Also, you need to consider that you may find yourself facing more than one BG, and that will negate your careful stacking of the ammo in your magazine. The gun and ammo you carry for self defense should be of a type that avoids making you look like you are obsessed with the preparation for use thereof. You should do everything you can to appear "squeaky clean". To take the life of another is a very serious matter, and once you have done that, you will be examined under a serious microscope.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  15. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Food for thought.

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

My idea on the subject is select one defensive round and stay with it. I would not want the additional distraction of having to wonder what round was coming up next. The best bet is select a caliber that doesn't make round selection a critical decision; .357 mag, .45 ACP, etc., then make dang sure your firearm will digest the round every single time, and that you can hit your target.

17. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

You can get into jury arguments all day. Why carry a full-size 9mm with 15 rounds when an 8 round is easier to conceal? You must be a raving murderer.

I think alternating fmj / jhp might be a bit paranoid but I can see half and half.

Its called hedging your bets. I hadn't even thought about going fmj in winter but it makes sense. If you carry to defend yourself at all then you are thinking about it.

Haven't seen where using flashlight / laser showed premeditation or over thinking.

18. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Op, I see your point using a 380. Myself, I would still use a premium HP, except in winter a fmj as previously mentioned.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO, alternating ammo means you have little faith in either round. A good HP in a decent caliber will be mure than sufficient in most situations. WTS, Even a 9mm in very cold climates with heavy clothing and a substantial girth with be likely to fail. In the winter in the northern areas, I would prefer my 10mm with 175 gr STHP's or 180 gr Gold Dots at 1200+ fps

20. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

I personally said I only do this with my .380 no other caliber. If you have to shoot someone faith is gone and well JHP or FMJ's together IMO with a .380 will get the job done.