Alright you revolver guys, help a brother out.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by tcraig23, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

I have not been a revolver guy in the past. However, I have recently really warmed up to the idea of buying one as a back up gun and to add a new dimension to my handgun training. I am really intrigued at leaning to speedload a revolver and shooting that heavy double action all the time. I really like the M&P line and REALLY like the M&P Model 340 CT. I do not have any lasers on any of my guns but I see the need for that on a back up heavy loaded revolver. So please, enlighten me, teach me the way of the revolver and help me make a good decision. I was wondering about your experiences with revolvers in general. What you like and dislike about them, etc. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

What exactly is it that you want to know? Have you shot any revolvers?

3. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

Sorry for not being specific enough. I was wondering about your experiences with revolvers in general. What you like and dislike about them, etc.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I like the fact that with a revolver there's no fumbling with a safety, just point and click and it goes bang.

You're looking at a pretty fancy revolver for a backup. You may want to consider a S&W Model 60 or a Ruger SP101. Both are .357 mag. The 60 isn't as stout as the Ruger, but it carries nicely. The SP101 will shoot full house loads all day, the Model 60 is more of a practice with .38's and carry .357's for defense.

I dunno' if this helps, but you asked. ;)

5. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

It does, I like the Ruger LCR with laser, it is $300 less. But I am a big Smith guy and it is a purchase for life so....idk.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Disadvantage of revolver- fewer rounds than many autos, thicker profile due to cylinder.
    Advantage- you no longer have the questions of did magazine catch and latch, did a round get picked up when racked, did it go all the way into battery, did the safety go all the way off, did I limp wrist the gun, did I get the thumb of my off hand in the way of the slide (that WOULD explain the blood and the two grooves cut into the thumb). For a revolver, is cylinder loaded? Point. Pull trigger. If loud noise does not result, repeat step 2.

Agree on the Mdl 60.

7. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

And those reasons are why I really want a revolver back up my friend.

8. tomill

tomill New Member

I prefer revovlers

I used to carry a S&W model 19 then switched to a 1911 and then to a Glock 19. Now I am back to carrying a Charter arms Undercover out of familiarity and ease of use. The reasoning is simple I am not in law enforcement and do not need to carry a duty sidearm. The 38 is plenty strong enough to get the job done. What you need to do is practice practice and practice with whatever weapon you do choose to carry. A well placed 38 is better than a miss with a 45. This is why I chose the revolver over the automatic, for myself. For whatever it's worth.

9. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

I carry my S&W M&P 40c every day. I want to carry a back up or when I have trained enough with the revolver carry it as an option. This in an ankle holster at church would be a nice change from time to time.

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I like their simplicity and their ability to handle hotter loads then any semi auto(DE excluded because they have the ghey). They are also more versitile. How many semi autos can shoot 2 different rounds? Revolvers can shoot 3 and even 4(460 S&W) If the bang doesn't happen, just keep squeezing. I arm my wife with an SP101 with 38 +ps but if I want to carry it I can load it with 357s. Show me an auto you can do that with.

11. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

I agree, thanks for the input.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

100% Agree.

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I always carry a revolver, and just shoot semis. Sure you may only have 5-7 rounds, but if loaded with good ammo and place one good shot, it's lights out. Get an SP101 or J-frame, shoot the heck out of it with .38s, .38 +Ps and .357s, practice with speed-loaders, get good and start leaving that M&P in the safe. :)

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

M&P model 327 R8 Revolver

Attached Files:

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Looks like Smith is hiring Ruger engineers. ;)

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Good lord cane! Why did you have to go and do that to me??? I was just starting to feel satisfied.

Now it's your duty to loan me a grand so I can get one. ;)

17. tcraig23

tcraig23 New Member

I like it, thanks for that.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You got it!

One Large with 10 points/week.

What's your address? I'll drop the cash off to you in person so I know where you live. [​IMG]

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The S&W 340PD is an extremely lightweight revolver whose frame is made of scandium. It's NOT fun to shoot with "full house" .357 loads. In fact it's recoil is brutal to some. That's why the other posters have suggested somewhat heavier revolvers. That's all the more reason to practice with .38s.

20. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

How's 'bout this. . .you c'mon by with that Smith and I'll let you root through my safe until we come up with a fair trade. ;)