Alright ya bunch a 1911 junkies....

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Dahamp2003, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

I'm a Springfield XD guy and AR's. I'm going to purchase a 1911, and I've pretty much decided on the Rock Island Tactical 2 FS. I've shot 1911's before, but my problem is my grip. I use the aggressive thumbs forward grip when I shoot XD's and Glocks. The stupid safety on the 1911 is literally right in my way fro my right thumb to rest comfortably on the gun. Anybody have this problem? Is there a fix other than my grip? I won't be carrying this firearm, so the safety isn't my biggest concern. Or should I say speed of safety operation. Thanks guys

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Thumb safeties vary in size and shape among the 1911's. Try also an arched vs straight mainspring housing before you buy. Whichever is the most comfortable wins. Riding the safety with your thumb during firing may cause malfunctions.

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bingo... Love my 1911's but a buddy bought a custom with one of those "stupid big" safety switches and I kept bumping in "on" during recoil. :eek:

I like the smaller to medium thumb safeties for this reason.

Tack

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Most 1911 shooters use the thumbs forward grip also. You rest your thumb on top of the thumb safety lever.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Firearms Talk mobile app

5. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Exactly the way to do it. They also make thumb safeties with a lowered lever.

6. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

You mind linking one for me? I have no idea what to even look at. I'd definitely want one though. Thanks guys I'll try thumb on top

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Just a reminder, not everyone thinks so. Riding the safety may feel convenient, but if you touch the slide during firing, you may cause a malfunction.

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've put thousands of rounds through my 1911s using that grips and never had a problem or malfunction by touching the slide. Unless you're shooting a 9mm with mild reloads and over sprung, there is enough force with the slide to keep moving forward if your brush against the slide with your thumb.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Once you get into shooting the 1911 with your thumb resting on the safety, your grip will become natural. You'll start doing the same grip on the XD. It won't affect the XD.

My problems come when I shoot a Sig. Now my thumb wants to be on the Sig slide stop, so the slide won't lock to the rear on the last round.

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

The only thing that might happen is if your shooting a Colt the slide might cut the Sh!t out of you.

11. k9guy

k9guy New Member

Your hand should be high on the grip with your thumb on top of thr safety while you are shootin it so you dont engage the while shooting grip is very important i have 50 years of trigger time on 1911s

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Do keep in mind as well that a safety isn't drop in most of the time for the 1911, no matter what brand, it will need hand fitting to operate correctly just in case you don't know.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

As the song says - "maybe get a blister on your thumb"? :eek: