alright all you snipers

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ultimate_sig, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I'm debating getting a Remington 700 or building one. I would use it for competition and would love for quatre size grouping at 1k yards. Also debating which caliber to go with for that distance. This would be my 1St long range rifle. Here are the calibers I'm debating;
    6.5x47 lapua
    300 win mag
    300 win
    Or 308 for the simple fact that ammo will be easy to find. As far as parts id probably go with shilen or AAC.
    What are your thoughts?

2. cleatus85

cleatus85 New Member

A 300 win mag is what our military uses so I would probably go with that now as far as building vs buying a built rifle if you build it yourself it will fit you better as a shooter because you can customize as you build and if you don't like it you can change it right then. But that's just my opinion on the matter

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

That's what I was thinking, kind of like trying on shoes. I'm thinking about a timney trigger, they had great reviews and I like the L96A 1 frame. I like the chasis too but man those look heavy.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Maybe it is my browser, but I am not able to see the green font

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The 260 Remington,6.5 Creedmoor,6.5x47 Lapua,or a 6.5x55 Swede would be a great starting point for a first time long range platform. The 6.5mm match grade bullets will perform as good/better than the .308 match grade bullets,plus you'll have less recoil,less cost per round if you reload.

I always shot a 300 WM and 308 long range,but they haven't been out of the safe since I built my 6.5 Creedmoor and bought a LR-260H AR10. The 6.5mm bullets are just too fun and accurate.

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

What part of TX you in? Close to DFW

7. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

He says 1k yards

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You plan on shooting 15/16" groups at 1,000 yards? You are joking?:rolleyes:

9. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

If I may ask... What are you shooting now? and what are your groups at 400 and 500 yards?

10. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I don't have a long distance rifles, I have a nice Ar set up but I've only shot at 100 yards and had quarter size groupings.

11. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

If a guy can get dime size groupings why couldn't I get quarter size groupings

12. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

308 always wins

13. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Now everything makes sense

14. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I have a remington 700 AAC-SD .308.
    I love the gun, added a muzzle brake and a timney trigger and get dime sized groups at 100 yards and not much bigger at 200. I have only had it for about a year, but so far furthest shot has been a 2 liter at 500 yards.

15. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Glad I could help ya out

16. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I just looked internet highest of quality parts and it's insane how expensive some of the parts are. I think this build may take a few years eek

17. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

And how did ya do

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Not a slam, but some honest questions. How much long range shooting do you do or have you done? What is the longest range you have shot? How much reloading experience do you have?

A dime or Quarter sized group at 1000 is an exception not a rule. Most rifles and most ammo loads are not mechanically consistent enough to do that on a regular basis. Then throw the human element, and nature in there between the shooter and the target and it is a lot of variables to overcome.

Just don't want you to get your expectations into the realm of the unrealistic and end up wildly disappointed after putting a lot of money and time into a build. Most folks would be ecstatic to get consistent half minute groups at 1000 yds which ends up being right around 5 inches. If a rifle, optic, ammo and shooter combo can do that regularly, that is world class shooting.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

1" is MOA at 100 yards, 10"+ is MOA at 1000 yards. Expecting to shoot 10 rounds, which is what a group consists of in a 1" area at 1000 yards is not feasible. 12" for a beginner would be quite amazing. Hitting the paper would be good! You would need to handload ammo, expect to spend lots of $$$ on ammo. Your rifle and optics will need to be very high quality, no super sniper 10x is going to work.
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/competition/1000-yard-benchrest-guide/

20. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

What do you mean?