Already now what to get my son!!!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bigbad-ratman, May 31, 2010.

1. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

So my biological kids live with their mom in TX. Picking Xmas presents has been getting kinda tough, but my dad (Grumpy to his g-kids) helped me narrow the field for my oldest, Chris. You guessed it: a hunting rifle!!!

Got the idea cause Grumpy is taking a really active role in his g-kids lives and has been taking Chris into the outdoors (hiking, shooting, boyscouts etc.) and how he was gonna take Chris hunting. After hearing about this and how much fun the two of them were having I asked Grumpy what he thought about Chris getting a rifle for X-mas. At first he didn't think that was too good an idea. But he obviously thought about it, and then called me (a shocker in itself) to pretty say that he thought it would be a good idea and even had a few suggestions as to what I should get him! I was thinking a youth model Remington (as I love my 700), but in Grumpy's experience (and since he will be the one with Chris most of the time) a Winchester or Marlin lever gun would be better. Luckily I got some time to decide and put something on layaway. Anywho had to share with a sympathetic group since the wife was not impressed!

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good luck with your decision. A lever gun sounds pretty good.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

A wonderful idea and I'm with Grumpy here that a lever action rifle would be perfect! Good luck and have fun shopping!

4. ScottG

ScottG New Member

If she's not impressed, how do you know she'll let your son keep it and not either sell it or give it back?

And yes, buy your son a levergun.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I new a lever was it as soon as "grumpy" came into play! :D
    I can say my 1st wife is a major anti, my second has accepted firearms and has a few of her own now, plus she is cute as hell! I upgraded. A good lever will last for years. 30-.30 has been around for years and tops the charts for all time Whitetail kills (top 5). I'm not a big '94 fan, they just don't fit. My ffl has a new 2003 Marlin 336 in .35 Remington for $425.00. He has MS and has had tons of stuff for years.
    Let me know! Good for grumpy.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Lever rifle's are great! I have the 94 Winchester and I like it a lot but the Marlin are easier to add an optic to. Might be easier to find a Marlin too

7. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

Son stays with his mom, and Grumpy has already said they can keep the firearm at his house. My current wife (or future ex) is all about guns...until it comes time to actually put down the money for them!!!