Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Premium Member
I like guns....
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked to a few of you about my goal. TO SOMEDAY HIT A GONG AY A MILE.. Well that goal as getting closer. I have the rifle, I recently picked up the scope. A Kestrel is what it looks like i need to get next. I'm looking at a place called Thunder Valley Precision – Pardon Our Noise…It's The Sound Of FREEDOM ..
My question is what else do I need to have? A mat to lay prone, I still need one of them too..

· Registered
6,167 Posts
Have you chronographed the ammo you plan on using? If not, that would be the first thing I'd do, then put that data in a ballistics program like JBM with all the atmospheric info that you can to get a basic drop sheet.

With the ballistic sheet, you'll have a close idea of the amount of scope adjustment needing to hit a target at whatever distance you're shooting. Depending on the amount of adjustment that you have in your scope along with the style of reticle you have will determine the farthest distance you will be able to adjust for the drop needed to reach the target.

A Kestrel is great to have while shooting for on the fly adjustments in the field. If you plan on shooting prone, a good shooting mat is a need, along with a good quality bi-pod & rear bag setup

Good luck!

· Premium Member
I like guns....
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you chronographed the ammo you plan on using? If not, that would be the first thing I'd do, then put that data in a ballistics program like JBM with all the atmospheric info that you can to get a basic drop sheet.

With the ballistic sheet, you'll have a close idea of the amount of scope adjustment needing to hit a target at whatever distance you're shooting. Depending on the amount of adjustment that you have in your scope along with the style of reticle you have will determine the farthest distance you will be able to adjust for the drop needed to reach the target.

A Kestrel is great to have while shooting for on the fly adjustments in the field. If you plan on shooting prone, a good shooting mat is a need, along with a good quality bi-pod & rear bag setup

Good luck!
I have a Atlas bi-pod, decent rear bag with plenty of compartments. Range finder might be in the need list?? Spotting scope?? I have a cheap one, maybe I can get away with it, any insight on them?

· Registered
1,982 Posts
I have a Atlas bi-pod, decent rear bag with plenty of compartments. Range finder might be in the need list?? Spotting scope?? I have a cheap one, maybe I can get away with it, any insight on them?
Any spotting scope, no matter how much you paid for it, and I'm talking $3K here, will not spot holes for you at one mile. What it WILL do is show you impact locations. Take a look at any of the really long-range shooters, and you'll see that they have remote cameras and other trick stuff to plot a hit - or a miss.

· Registered
3,070 Posts
"My question is what else do I need to have? A mat to lay prone, I still need one of them too."

Save your time and money on a mat to lay on. I've never used one as they a PIA to carry around with all the other stuff you will be using. I just lay prone in the dirt, gravel, weeds, etc...
Shooting range Air gun Machine gun Shotgun Precision sports

· Premium Member
I like guns....
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First time out ..... why not just bench shoot ?
My old butt gets laying down ....... that's nap time .
I'm going to try whats available..lol. I have nothing against a bench. I might actually do better on a bench as a beginner..

· Premium Member
I like guns....
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That a great dream
Hope you will archive that soon!
Thank you... My biggest challenge now is finding somewhere to shoot that distance.. Not much around the Toledo Ohio area for that kinda of thing.. Im trying to make some new land owner friends...

· Premium Member
I like guns....
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the last comment... Any one in my area "Toledo Ohio" area willing to share some property to a fellow FTF member? Even 200 yards would be great...

· Premium Member
7,194 Posts
None of these are in the Toledo OH area, but might be an option if you can't find any private lands.

Youngs Long Shot Range, in Wolcotville IN (northwest of Fort Wayne), out to 1000yds.

Hillside Shooting Sports, in Roanoke IN (southwest of Fort Wayne), out to 1000yds.

Camp Atterbury (Nat'l Guard military), in Edinburgh IN (just south of Indianapolis), out to 1000yds.

Alliance Rifle Club, in Malvern OH (southeast of Akron), out to 900yds.

Thunder Valley Precision, in Kimbolton OH (east of Columbus), out to 1000yds.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts