Allright you Colt Gurus

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by jgoertz, Nov 20, 2012.

1. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I have 2 Kimbers and a Les Baer. I love them, but I know you really don't have a 1911 unless you have a Colt. My LGS has a NIB Lightweight Commander on hand for $1075 (negotiable). It's the only Colt available in this area that I know of. I don't have a Commander size 1911 in my ccollection, so it would fit in real well

2. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

EDIT: I know it's a wide open question, but what's your thoughts?

This finishes the previous post. I had a senior moment and hit "send" before I was ready.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Forget the LWC, go in search of the Wiley Clapp 21st century Commander.

THE Ultimate carry .45ACP!

My Wiley Clapp Commander;

[​IMG]

^ Before

[​IMG]

^ After

Yes, it's worth the up-charge! I put ~$300 into this Pre-Series 80 LW Commander and it was worth every penny!

If you can't get it, PM me and I'll find one for you!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  4. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Not a super fan of flat triggers but have a couple on my guns. I installed the flat trigger on my carry gun as I feel that with the way a 1991 trigger operates (straight back) I can get a consistent feel and pull in a stressful situation. Love the changes you made on that!!

[​IMG]

5. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Very simple......YES. Everyone should own at least one Colt.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I thought the Wiley Clapp's came with everything you need and nothing you don't?

7. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Buy it, you can never go wrong with good old Colt!

8. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I found a couple of Wiley Clapps but they were over my budget. By the time I paid 3 percent for credit card plus shipping, etc. , they were gonna be $1500 to $1600.

I read a review in one of the gun mags a few months ago and it was quite flattering. With Xmas coming up though,I have to keep to $1000 or less.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

No need to be a Colt "guru" to know that Lightweight Commanders are nice. FWIW, it's also a gap in my collection, just not a pressing need at this time.
    That price is nothing to brag about. FWIW, my LGS has them for $949 + tax. (Lightweight Commander Stainless XSE)
    Edit:
    Note: It's on backorder, so other retailers might be adjusting for demand...

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I came real close to getting one, but wanted a full size for my first. The one I found was $800.

11. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I gave my LGS $25 to give me right of first refusal until I have done some more research and soul-searching. I do appreciate everyone's input.

12. RedCent

RedCent New Member

EDC for about 40 years or so.

[​IMG]

13. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Colt is the standard to which every builder or maker of a 1911 copy uses as the benchmark to define their quality. Colt is the original. eveything else, no matter how well made is still a copy, pure and simple.

15. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Agreed. I would say some have exceeded the Colt in quality, but, I like the fact that Colt still builds their guns "old school", with a little slop in the fit for reliability.

16. You'll have to explain to me why this is important. It makes no sense to me. Also, how do you know that every builder or maker uses Colt as a benchmark? Have you talked to every maker, or is this more Colt fan hyperbole?

17. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I'm a Colt fan, it's just a hyperbole to show how great Colt is, which it is.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

simple. i will explain i such a way even the feeble minded may be able to understand. Colt is the original maker of the M1911. simple fact there. everyone else's 1911 is just a copy. another simple fact. Colt was the leading maker of the 1911 for many years and even when there where very few makers who made copies.

who else would they use? hmmm... Glock? or a Luger? or who would they use? simple, Colt. no i haven't spoken to every maker of a 1911 copy, but if you browse their websites, it seems pretty apparent who they are trying to copy, Colt.

personally, i think is more about you trying to start an argument rather than trying to add anything informative to the thread. pretty well apparent is you have nothing constructive to add to this thread by your posting content. have a good night.

19. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I ended up getting the Colt LWC.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

BC you're such a predictable buzz-kill.