All the Equipment

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by FCross7, Oct 19, 2009.

1. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

3. fprefect

fprefect New Member

Rather than list a good deal of items that you will without doubt need, (perhaps they might be included in the Rock Chucker Master Kit) I can save you some money by suggesting some things you don't need, beginning with the last 4 items on your list.

F. Prefect

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I disagree somewhat. Unless you plan on loading high precision rifle with IMR type powders you don't need the trickler. The polisher may not be a "need" but it is darn near one. You can get by with the case length gauge rather than the caliper.

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

That was a great list you made Tango, thanks for taking the time to do it. Didn't know it until i read your list, but the kit I'm getting has the RCBS hand priming tool which has a turning tray on it, so I'll be ditching the primer turning tray.

I'll go ahead and ditch the trickler for now as well, but I'll still probably get the caliper as it's only around $20, and other than making case stretching easier to see, does the polisher serve any other purpose.

And I'm probably going to pick up this case trimmer.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys. And I'm sure you guys are going to hate me once I get everything in as I'll probably have at least a million questions. :D

-Fred

6. robocop10mm

What calibers are you going to load? I have NEVER trimmed pistol brass, ever. Bottlenecked rifle brass WILL need to be trimmed, probably after the first firing and every 4-5 loadings after that.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Why would you not need a caliper? You need to check OAL, case length trim length I check bullet diameter as well, I even check neck thickness. None of which can't be done without a caliper. That is a big must have in my book.

The trickler I may give you. I think you should measure each charge right to the proper weight when starting out. Never trust mechanical devices as they are not perfect no matter what advertising tells you. Tricklers also work for ball as well as stick powder robo. So using ball powder has no bearing on things.

With the RCBS hand primer you can detach the the primer tray and use it as a primer flipper as well.

A case tumbler keeps your brass clean It makes it easer to reload and makes things CLEAN so that you don't look like a slob. I am nuts about keeping my brass clean so I believe a tumbler is a must have. You can get away with out it sure.

8. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Just .223 and .308 for now and once I turn 21 I'll also reload whatever pistol caliber I get.
    I may end up picking up the trickler then as it's only about 13$. I think I'm gonna hold off on the brass tumbler, at least for the time being as that's $100 dollars I could spend on components.

-Fred

9. fprefect

fprefect New Member

Perhaps I should not have been so blunt, but there are a good many things you're going to need to load your first batch of ammo that are far more important than a digital caliper and primer trays. But looking back many years, I'm sure my priorities were not without flaws to say the very least. The more you reload the better your judgment will become on what should be the next item you're most in need of. I only wish you the best as you begin your "career" into the world of reloading. Mistakes will be made, but that's what we all learn by. It can be frustrating at times when you're just beginning but over the long haul it will allow you to customize the ammunition to meet your needs and do so a fraction of the cost of factory loads. Good luck, and don't forget to have a little fun in the process.

F. Prefect

10. robocop10mm

Weigh each charge until the powder dispenser proves reliable. Weigh occasional charges to confirm is is still reliable. Ball propellants tend to meter more easily and consistantly so the trickler is not AS necessary. Stick powders (IMR) tend to bridge and/or cut leading to inconsistancies. The trickler is needed for these powders when you are loading to max accuracy.

I agree the polisher is ALMOST a must have. I cannot imagine not polishing my brass before loading, except in a SHTF situation. $100 well spent.

Loading rifle, get the calipers. You WILL need the ability to trim the brass. FWIW, IMHO don't waste your time and effort with trim dies and files. Get a trimmer (I use a Forster) and chuck up the drill for volume trimming. Then you will need a deburring tool, the RCBS one is very good.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

agreed on all points.

The lyman trimmer does good. for starting. I have one now. I would shy away from the power adapter mine is off set causing the bench to shake when I fire it up. I need to try it with corded drill.

YOu want high production and benchrest tollerance get a Girud case trimmer. GTC Trimmer

12. robocop10mm

I have the Forster screwed down to a small sheet of plywood. I sit on the back portion w/a can of brass between my thighs. The trimmer/cordless drill extends from the front of the chair. Pretty fast to chuck up a case, trim, unchuck and drop case into another can.

I came up with this set up when I was too poor to afford a powered trimmer. It works well enough that I cannot justify buyng a powered trimmer.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm gonna do this!

You guys got me hooked and Billybob has been coaching me. I'm starting to get my funding together and will start slow.

Damn, you guys can spend a man's money! [​IMG]

15. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I'm definitely getting the digital caliper. I'm also gonna pick up the trickler as it's only $13. The kit that I'm gonna get comes with a chamfer/debur tool. And I plan on getting a tumbler at some point, but being as it's not needed and money is kind of tight, I'm gonna pass for the time being and spend that $100 on components. When I've got a good supply of components I'll go ahead and pick up a tumbler.

-Fred

16. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Primers-primers-where are the Primers??

As noted before, Cane. Start the primer search-BUY if found under $30 per K.:eek::)

17. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

When I started out I ordered the Lee Anniversary kit from Midway. If I remember correctly it cost me about $75.00 plus shipping. The kit came with everything I needed except the dies and the length gauges. Although, I have upgraded the press and the scale, I still use most of the items from that original purchase. I would recommend this purchase to anyone that wants to start reloading and is not quite sure if they want to go with a large investment right from the get-go.

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

My first/current cartridge reloader was a Lee Turret press. It may not be as nice as a RCBS or some of the others,but it was less than half of what the others charge and has loaded countless thousands of rounds over the years with out failure,and Lee makes some of the best dies on the market.

19. DaisyBB

DaisyBB New Member

Check Midway if you can get a reasonable Bullet puller and a beam scale to check your poweder charges. The scale is an indispensible equipment that you'll use as long as you're reloading.

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

For a scale look on ebay.

I bought a lyman that is exactly the same as the Ohus and RCBS 10-10 for half the price of a used RCBS unit.

Lyman M5

RCBS 10-10

Ohaus 10-10