All purpose 12 gauge help

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bwalka, Mar 25, 2013.

1. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I'm looking for an all purpose 12 gauge either a semi auto or pump. 3 1/2 inch chamber. Any help or information would be appreciated

2. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Give us some pointers of what your intended use is and we will be glad to help. The more specific you are the better help we can be

3. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

the mossberg 535 (which is a pump) will shoot 3 1/2" shells. they run for about $270 at my local walmart

it all depends on what you're shootin, you may not need 3 1/2" shells

4. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Basically all purpose. Hunting ducks geese turkey squirrels hogs deer basically anything. Shooting clays and other targets.

5. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Really looking hard at beneli or remmington guns. Like the nova/supernova or the 887 or remmington a new semi auto or beneli a super Vinci

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I turkey and deer hunt with a Mossberg 835 (pump), I can't say it's "THE GREATEST" shotgun out there, but it works for me. I have three diff. barrels, for it; a blued 28" w/ choke tubes, a 24" camo/ported turkey barrel w/ tubes and a 24", rifled & Parkerized cantilever scope mount barrel w/ 3X9 Bushnell scope mounted on it. All in, I'd say I've got about $650 -$700 tied up in that system.

I've got no complaints with it at all.

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

From experience as far as pumps go with the nova...the 887s are crap.....I don't have much experience with the semi autos...my buddy does have a versa max and likes it but it's hard to go wrong with a semi auto benelli

8. MossbergMaverick

MossbergMaverick New Member

Get Mossberg 500. My dad got one in 1987 and he still uses it and it has been trough A LOT! He has used it from shootin duck to paddle a boat to din a hole, and it still shoots on point. He just bought a new one a week ago strictly for turkey huntin but he loves it.

9. MossbergMaverick

Yea the 887 are pure junk. The first time I went to shoot at some duck with it it jammed when I was cycling to the 2nd shot and it was brand new! So don't waste your money on one.

10. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

11. MossbergMaverick

I am telling you right now, if I were you I wouldn't spend one cent on a Beneli nova/supernova. The are a pure waste of money. The first time I shot it it jammed when I was cycling to the 2nd shot. I would, if I were you, get a Remington 870 or a mossberg 500/maverick. My dad got a mossberg 500 in 1986 an he still uses it. They are very wide range gun and are well worth the money put into them.

12. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I don't want a 3 ich I want a 3 1/2 so mossberg 500/ maverick is out

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

You must have gotten a bad one because everyone one I have ever seen has been a great gun in my opinion they are the best pump gun in production right now

14. MossbergMaverick

Well I got two and they both jam up

15. akers06

akers06 New Member

Idk man they must need to be cleaned out something

16. Norwegian

Norwegian New Member

Rem 870. NUff said.

17. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

While I don't generally prescribe to brand allegiance with a shotgun (because I think that each has to make his/her own decision), I can tell you My experience. I have had a Mossberg 835 for 17 years. I have hunted every type of small game with it, Turkeys, shot clays effectively, etc. I have done this all with a barrel that had two chokes and is around 18.5 inches long. I have considered replacing this gun for hunting but cannot bring myself to do it because it had just been too good to me. There are better shotguns, sure, but if all around is what you are looking for...my 17 years says mossberg 835.

18. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

Benelli all the way! I wouldn't get the Vinci series though I would stay with the m2 or something along those lines.

19. MossbergMaverick

I got them straight from the police station right out of the box

20. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

IMHO Benelli Novas are g2g. Also look at a used M1-Super 90 I know it does not shoot 3.5 shells but is a great gun. I quickly grew tired of shooting 3.5 in loads and went back to plain old 3in with no handicap.