All hallows eve

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Oct 29, 2020.

1. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Muahaahaa!
    What's doing this year? How are you handling the redistribution of desirable comestibles to the little punters?

This year I've put 4 - 5 individual pieces into small ziploc baggies to hand out. Not really because of any health concerns but just to ensure equitable distribution. In past years older kids tended to try and grab huge handfuls of candy instead of showing a modicum of self control.
    If the weather is nice enough I might set up a card table outside and sit out there with a mask and latex gloves just to freak the P's out.

OLD Ron, Caveman Jim and CMAB2SA like this.
  2. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Halloween and Christmas were my last wifes favorite holidays.
    Kids don't trick or treat anymore out here in the sticks but go into town instead.
    Normally we would have been scoping out haunted houses , that kind of thing together. This year I'll likely get a bag of snickers just in case the grandkids show up and stay home.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We haven't had a trick or treater in years. There was usually something going on in town. I don't know what is happening this year. Picked up a little candy just in case.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  4. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Our city has some sort of rules & suggestions.

I'm going to drop handfuls of candy on any kid who rings my doorbell.

One of the rules is to mark lines on my driveway/front walk for the kids to distance themselves. Whomever came up with that idea knows nothing about how kids behave when free candy is involved.

So I'm just going to give the kids a normal reception. Besides, they're not carriers and shouldn't be treated like they have a disease.

austin92, primer1, Ghost1958 and 6 others like this.
  5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

boatme98 likes this.
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'll sit out on the front deck with a surgical mask and a bucket of mini-Hershey bars- and a Wrist Rocket slingshot.

With the little kids- you have to aim lower- don't lead them as much....

austin92, Caveman Jim, RKB and 6 others like this.
  7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Bought two big bags of candy Sunday. Ate it all. Still have a dozen toothbrushes from the dentist should any show up. Haven't had one in 16 years.

8. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Haven't seen a goblin here in the past 32 years!

boatme98 and Ghost1958 like this.
  9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I get 20-30 every year. Ususally give each one a large "Payday" peanut bar.

I give out these bars because I am able to resist eating them before Halloween.:D

10. Mister Dave

Very Full Metal Jacket.

boatme98 likes this.
  11. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I don't think we've had a trick or treater in at least five years.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Well, there WAS that whole restraining order thingy.......:oops:

Mister Dave likes this.
  13. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Fire pit, booze and listen to Type O Negative

Bare Knuckles likes this.
  14. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Haven't had kids in the neighborhood for years. It's tucked back into the woods and off the beaten path. Plus, there are a handful of nearby "attraction" streets, where the folks have done-up their yards and go whole hog for Hallowe'en.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I must be honest, in some ways I do miss the little buggers coming to the door and seeing their costumes. But here in the mountains and boondocks we do not have any of them.
    We do have a few candy bars should any come. But as Monkey and G66 advised we have not seen any in years.
    They are only kids for a little while and then it is on with the real World and Life!
    So for all who do have them, enjoy them!:D

16. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Out in the sticks, at the dead-end of a gravel road that connects to another dead-end road. In the 15 years we've lived here, we've never had a trick-or-treater. Might be the 800' gravel driveway with a closed gate and posted "No Trespassing" and "Beware of Dogs"...

17. Mister Dave

So.... we got 8 or 9 kids, a few by themselves (with a parent). Pretty low turnout but we're on a dead end street so we always get less than everyone else. It was nice to treat those kids like they're normal.

No masks, no gloves, no chalk lines on the front walk. The only kids with masks were those with costume masks. Their parents were maskless too. They were outdoors.

It ticks me off that I feel the need to even talk about masks that way. Maybe it's the sugar buzz I'm getting from eating the leftover candy? :eek:

I noticed that the kids' bags/buckets weren't lacking for candy. So there's that plus!

OLD Ron and boatme98 like this.
  18. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I had about half the usual amount.
    The nurses will hit the motherlode tomorrow.

OLD Ron likes this.
  19. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

We don’t really have trick or treaters. Even “town” is still pretty rural. Street lights are pretty much nonexistent. About twenty years back, they had a couple of kids get hit and killed. Since then they have discouraged the trick or treat stuff.

The FFA kids do a corn maze by the high school, the grocery store has a bin you can drop off treats in by the door, and they do treats and the corn maze at the high school. And, they have things in the gym for younger kids, and in the event it gets too cold for the corn maze. Actually a pretty good solution.

Keeps the high schoolers busy for a few weekends decorating the gym, and inside doing things on the actual night instead of wandering the streets.

The stores all have treats in the afternoon, and all the kids go out in costume with their classes from school if it is on a weekday, from 1300 to 1500 and walk the main streets to visit the businesses. Parents will join their kids classes for the walk, or if the kids are too young for school just walk the route with them.

Small town rural life.

boatme98 and Caveman Jim like this.
  20. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

What’s your address, I love those things!!!!:D:p:D:p

austin92 and boatme98 like this.