Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Supporting Member
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of one of my good friends Bear. He shot this week in Alaska with a 338 Mag. 160 Lbs. Look at the Paws, Claws and size of the Head on that critter!
Plant community Smile Grass Tree Terrestrial plant

·
Supporting Member
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
9mil
You are correct, I hit the wrong Key! He was 360+! And yes he is having the Cape done with the Head, Paws and Claws!

·
Premium Member
14,856 Posts
He shot a midget bear in Alaska? Black bear boar is about that size. Browns/Grizzlies are much bigger. Kodiaks are huge.

·
Supporting Member
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
9mil
I spoke to him this evening and he said he was just guessing on the weight because on of the guys with him said he thought around 360-370. So who knows for sure? I am with you guys he looks a whole lot bigger than that to me! Maybe one of our Bear Hunters on here can shed some wisdom?
Here is a picture of the Bear we have here that was down at my Deer Feeder I took one Foggy morning. And I would think he would be close to 250 -300+?
Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grey Atmospheric phenomenon

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Some examples of bear sizes (mostly measured not weighed) ...

·
Supporting Member
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G66

Thanks for the Pictures.
I know another guy I knew in Indiana who shot an 8 ft. Tall Grizzly. it was a monster to stand by the full Mount of it! And he had to shoot it 4 times with a 30-06 as it finally charged. The Grizzly finally fell about 15 yards from them. The Guide told him! You see my Grey Hair at my age? (In his Late 30s) I am glad you got him, because I was getting ready to shoot. But no disrespect but it is guys like you who bring those Pop-Guns up here Grizzly hunting is why my hair is the color it is! Bring a bigger gun if you come back. I suggest at least a 338!
Yes compared to the Pictures I would say my good frined's Black Bear at least 500 to 650 Lbs.
It is unfortunate they did not actually weigh him!
What would you guys say my Black Bear weighs? He has been around here since he was a Cub. That would make him about 7-8 years old.

By the way here is a picture of his last Caribou hunt in Alaska He used a 338 in both hunts.
Sky Plant Camouflage Water Wood

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Yes compared to the Pictures I would say my good frined's Black Bear at least 500 to 650 Lbs.
It is unfortunate they did not actually weigh him!
Imagine, though, having to pack out the processed parts. Even with leaving the carcass but taking the meats and hide, think of all the ravines and ridges that one guy'd have to get across in order to get back to the "wagon." Ooof. Hurts just thinking about it.

·
Registered
Whatever tickles my fancy in the morning and what I'm going to be doing
164 Posts
Depending on the size of the fight in the critter, I could easily consider the '06 a popgun. Alaskan Grizzly would fill that definition.

Let the crucifixion begin.

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Using 220-grain solids, both Roosevelt and Hemingway used the .30-06 for thick-skinned dangerous game and Ruark wrote about taking buffalo with his .30-06. Jack O’Connor’s wife, Eleanor, an accomplished hunter in her own right, didn’t care for recoil. She considered the .30-06 a “big gun,” often choosing it for extra-large game. She took her only elephant with a .30-06 and a 220-grain solid. Veteran Zimbabwe PH Peter Johnstone frequently had to deal with problem lions on his farm in northwestern Zimbabwe. He once wrote to me that the .30-06 was his customary and preferred choice.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
WDM Bell took 800 African Elephants with a 7x57 Mauser. I would not have the brass to try that but it was well documented that he did it. If someone is an exceptionally good shot the cartridge becomes less important.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
WDM Bell took 800 African Elephants with a 7x57 Mauser. I would not have the brass to try that but it was well documented that he did it. If someone is an exceptionally good shot the cartridge becomes less important.
I very much admire the 7x57 but, yeah, I'd have a problem using it to go after one of the "Big Five" in Africa ... particularly an angry elephant. I'm sure I could make "the shot" necessary, but dang. If you fail to hit CNS, then you're steamrolled and torn to pieces.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Not a pretty ending on any African dangerous game if you miss the mark. Getting flattened like a pancake is probably about the same as getting shredded to ribbons. I’ve really never shot anything that would fight back. I can imagine starring down one of those critters would probably make me quite nervous.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Its all a numbers game. I would much rather have something thats gives me a larger margin of error for dangerous game. That way the shot doesnt have to be absolutely perfect.
Hell, Mtn Lions scare the bejeepers outta me, 800 lbs brown bear... i might be just a little shaky.
Ive legit been stalked once by an old boar black bear. I am positive to this day he had malice in his brain for me. Ive had several black bears follow me over the years, but i believe they were just curious. This one was angling to hurt me. I am not sure what would have happened if i hadn't met up with my Dad. It was at that point he backed off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts