Alaska

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mxxpowers, Dec 29, 2007.

1. mxxpowers

mxxpowers New Member

I am moving to Alaska soon and I want a new handgun suited for the terrain. I am looking at large bore revolvers and I am considering a Glock 10 mm. I believe the revolver is better suited overall but I am former law enforcement and I have extensive Glock training and I am very comfortable with the Glock style.

The pistol will be for defne against large animals and the two legged kind as well.

2. Tex in Maine

Tex in Maine New Member

many outdoorsmen have exspressed there support for the Colt Delta 10mm.

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I'd advise a large bore wheel gun, probably .44 mag at he very least. Bears and cats don't die as easily in real life as they do on TV. I'd actually recommend the Glock that you favor in addition to a .300 Win Mag or 7mm Mag.

4. Catfish

Catfish New Member

I`ve been to Alsaka 3 time and talked to alot of locals and spent alot of time watching wildlife. I have seen the power of a grizz up close and heard many tails of how hard they are to stop. If I were going into grizz country I would carry nothing but a 500 S&W. There is a guy in Homer that cast some of the best looking gas checked bullets I`ve ever seen and he makes them up to 700 gns. That would be my carry gun when in the bush.

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

When dealing with animals like that though, follow up shots are just as important as a hard hitting round.

6. keb

keb New Member

ak iron

I'm also prior LE. Rural Ak for 12yrs. You're on the right track with the 10mm Glock, if you practice with the high power loads, and can get your mitt around the fat grip. You must have thousands of rds of training on the Glocks...Why untrain and retrain your brain on a new system, especially when you "like" the Glocks...I have seen brown bears dropped with .40 cal pistols, don't recommend it, but you use what you have on hand when needed. If you expect to tangle with a bear, take a long gun, preferably the one you are good with. If not, pack the 10mm.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You may also want to look at an EAA Witness in 10mm. You can then get a conversion kit to shoot the much cheaper 9mm for practice. I have 2 Witness pistols, 1 poly and 1 all steel and they're quality handguns priced very reasonably...

8. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

If I were you, I'd probably get a Glock 20 10mm, which can be used in a bind against large animals. But I'd probably also find a Marlin 1895G .45/70 lever-action if you plan to venture out. I'd dare to say a moderate to hot .45/70 load would drop most dangerous animals you're likely to encounter.

9. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

My opinion

If I were you, I'd probably get a Glock 20 10mm, which can be used in a bind against large animals. But I'd probably also find a Marlin 1895G .45/70 lever-action if you plan to venture out. I'd dare to say a moderate to hot .45/70 load would drop most dangerous animals you're likely to encounter.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the Glock 10mm. I am not a Glock fan but if you are well trained on them and have large enough hands, the G-20 is a good choice. Find a good supersonic 180 - 200 gr FMJ. I would not carry HP's in bear country. You need A LOT of penetration for big bears.

Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. Great, handy bear medicine. I load a 340 gr cast bullet (Linotype) at 2100 fps through my Guide Gun. Pachmeyer decellerator makes it less punishing.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

This Story makes a great case for something large calibered, and portable like the .454 Casull or the .454 Alaskan. Both of those revolvers will work well in all types of climates and it packs a load that will definitely penetrate. Granted, this story was out of Canada, not Alaska, but the bears don't really care what flag is flying over the hunting ground. :cool:

That said, your primary weapon should be something big and hard hitting as Robo indicated above.

That world record Grizzly that was taken down a couple of years ago got hit with several rounds from a 338-caliber Winchester Magnum according to the debunked urban myths about the report.

Better yet, just stay close to the ski lodge and have a few drinks with the ski bunnies in the club house instead. :D

12. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Self defense pistol caliber ammo, including 10mm, is not designed to penetrate the thick hide, muscle and bone of a large Alaskan bear. The knowledgeable folks I know who live, or have lived in Alaska, recommend a .44 magnum as the minimum caliber.

13. Catfish

Catfish New Member

Matt G
    When dealing with animals like that though, follow up shots are just as important as a hard hitting round.?????????
    My S&W holds 5 rounds so I have 4 follow up shots. As far as killing a brown bear with a 10 mm I`m sure it could be done as I`ve killed several beef that weigh more than the brown bear with a .22 rimfire. If I ever have to face off with a mad brown bear I want all the TKO I can get, and the .500 with a 700 gn. bullet at 1,250 fps has a higher TKO than a .458 Wim mag. with a 300 gn. bullet at 2,500 fps.

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

.460 or .500 S&W is what I would want on my hip - and a 12 ga. slug gun over my shoulder! The .460 is very versatile because you can shoot 45 LC or .454 Cas. out of the same gun.

15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

It would be interesting to check the statistics and see what the majority of brown bears have been stopped with, in terms of handgun loads. I know afisherman who goes to Alaska every few years and he carries a short barreled .44mag.. The S&W .500 is a big heavy revolver that is best carried in a shoulder harness. Personally if I am going to carry that much weight I would probably use a 12ga.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

bear gun

Forget the glocks and get a good .454 casull. With hardcast bullets,every living animal on earth up to and including elephant has been taken with this round.

17. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

.500 s&w, .460 xvr s&w, ruger .480, taurus raging bull .454 casull :D :D :D :D

18. Ruger Redhawk

Ruger Redhawk New Member

I might suggest the Ruger Super Redhawk "Alaskan". It has a 2 1/2'' Bbl available in 44 mag or the mighty 454 Casull.For lighter work shoot the 44 Special in the 44 mag or the 45 Colt in the casull.