Alaska trip

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by downsouth, Jun 2, 2012.

1. downsouth

downsouth New Member

We start our three week trip today. Not looking forward to the all day interaction with the tsa, airlines, and high priced airport food and drinks. Did I mention we both smoke also.

I was a little nervous about leaving the house empty that long but my son jstrong agreed to stay here.

downloadfile-131.jpeg
    I think I have a good watchman.

2. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hope you have a great trip. Judging from the 'reality' shows I watch, Alaska is a beautiful state.

3. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Thanks ellis, we have been saving and looking forward to this day for a year now.

4. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Have a wonderful time. I hope someday to get to Alaska, too. Take lots of pictures you can share with us when you get back.

6. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

We took a cruise to Alaska a while back and it is a fantastic experience. I will definitely go back there as it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Enjoy your trip, be ready to take a lot of pictures and soak up the fantastic place that is Alaska.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like will be passing one another in three weeks. My wife and I will be heading up there as you are heading back. Have fun!

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Enjoy Alaska! Don't forget to post some pics of your trip. :D

9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Thanks everybody for the well wishes. We cleared tsa and found a place inside the concourse to have an adult beverage and a smoke. So two thumbs up and a smile so far. The cheap tenny~loafers we bought at walmart were worth the 9 bucks as flying shoes. Slip on and off.

10. vincent

vincent New Member

Pics pics pics!!! So jealous of you right now, always wanted to go to Alaska, have a blast and did I mention...pics pics pics!!! :D

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I just always went through with nothing but a pair of jogging shorts...
    Enjoy the trip brother, I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics.

12. downsouth

downsouth New Member

The united gate agent says we are heavy from a group of 26 checking 60 bags going to central america after arriving in houston. He offered a guy 400 united flight dollars, lunch, dinner and breakfast to fly out tomorrow. Wouldn't be worth it to spend 24hrs at the airport to me.

13. downsouth

downsouth New Member

He took the deal. Amazing that one person and his bags can make that much differance in weight.

14. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Party at Downsouth's house!!!

Enjoy your trip. We look forward to hearing about it.

15. downsouth

downsouth New Member

It's 4:30 am here, my body says coffee please being it thinks it is 7:30. Looking off the deck of my brothers deck at the mountians in the back.

ForumRunner_20120603_045400.jpg

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Gorgeous!

So here's the persistent AK question. What does your brother keep handy for that bear encounter possibility?

17. downsouth

downsouth New Member

His first response was his leathermans tool. After the chuckles he said an 870 loaded with slugs then buckshot. Also he carries his ruger blackhawk 44mag. To date bells and saying "hey bear" as he hikes has warned the bears as not to surprise the bears into a threatening response.

18. downsouth

downsouth New Member

This is for Orangello, he took this black bear with a Hoyt 80s vintage 60lb recurved bow some years ago.

ForumRunner_20120603_065158.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. downsouth

downsouth New Member

We are going to Talkeetna tomorrow for a few days. Running around doing errands before leaving. Ran into this dog named "spaz" with the most incredible eyes. The owner says he is across between a husky and lab.

ForumRunner_20120604_104122.jpg

ForumRunner_20120604_104205.jpg

20. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Nice dog! Glad you are enjoying Alaska. I want to go back so bad!