alaska sidearm

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by CaseyChadwell, Sep 2, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I have recently got the news that I am Alaska bound! I've never been so excited about something since the birth of my kids. Now that that is out of the way, I have the planning to do...not sure of the exact date I get to go as of yet, sometime early to late spring next year. My question as of now isn't what firearm to hunt with, but if a 44 mag Taurus tracker will be sufficient for a sidearm to carry as a oh **** weapon. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would feel much better with a 12 ga loaded with slugs. Shooting a bear with a pistol is not a good idea. I would try playing dead first. Not to mention you could encounter a moose. Killing a moose with a peashooter is like trying to kill a brahma bull with a peashooter.

I saw an alaska state trooper shoot a moose twice in the head with a 12 ga slug before it went down. You want to take on a moose with a peashooter? I would take out a healthy life insurance policy to make sure your kids go to college.

Those pro hunters you see on TV taking dangerous game with a pistol have a guide off camera with a rifle just in case the peashooter doesn't work.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

3. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

This being the second post of this with new thread name should merge with 44 magnum thread.

Jim

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I understand a twelve gauge with slugs is the best choice for a defensive weapon in Alaska. That is what I read, and what past threads suggest.

5. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

The Taurus Tracker .44 mag is a good choice.

Jim

6. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

There was a similar discussion over at TTAG (The Truth About Guns)

There was some really good advice over there.

Get yourself some bear spray if you might be in an area to encounter them. The suggestions for a handgun STARTED at .44 mag with quite a few fans of .454 Casull. Personally I would use .44 Mag simply because of my lack of experience with large caliber handguns.

12 gauge slugs were also HIGHLY recommended as was a "brush gun", which was a lever gun in .45-70.

A handgun is better than nothing, but it sounds like when it comes to bears it is indeed a "pea shooter"

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

My BFR in .45-70.................

8. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Neither of those are good ideas, actually.

When I'm in bear country, I sleep with a short barrelled 3" 12 ga. loaded with 00 buck...no plug.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

With the bear, remember, you are NOT shooting to stop the bear, you are shooting to stop the bear AND to kill the bear. Don't forget the shovel. ;)

My nephew has an older .357 Taurus Tracker and loves it with that 7 round cylinder. His dad has a .44 mag Taurus revolver, not sure of the model; it is large, ported, and setup for an optic mount rail.

Having shot both, i'd prefer my Ruger GP100, but not for bear.

10. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Haha. We have the same saying around here for some situations: "Shoot, Shovel and Shut-Up."

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Also good for underwear disposal after a bear SURPRISE visit. ;)

12. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

One day when I was about 12 and was starting to do some hunting on my own, my daddy told me what to do if I was ever chased by a bear and had no weapon.

"Throw fresh shyte in his face", he told me. "That is guaranteed to stop a bear attack. Don't worry about where you'll get it", he added. "Just reach around. It'll be there."

I don't often go into the bush without being armed, not if I can help it. I'm not saying Dad's idea wouldn't work; I'm just saying I like the idea of getting a bear off it's feet asap if it means me harm.

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

What part of Alaska? Coastal South Southeast? Or interior?

14. powg

powg New Member

The old timers only carried a h&r .22lr pistol when they worked in pairs near the best pan spots ...they reasoned that# 1 you only had to out run your buddy with the hole in his foot #2 ....the sound wouldn't alert others of your secret pan workin's.

15. sharpshooterassassin

sharpshooterassassin New Member

I live up here in Alaska and a .44 Magnum for protection is at the very minimum. Most of my friends when they go fishing, Hiking, Camping, and even Bike Riding carry either a 12 Gauge, 454, 460, or the .500. There was a guy up here recently that carried his AK when he was out hiking and ended up killing a charging bear after 13 shots later. I don't remember how many hit the bear but I guess having some protection is better than nothing. Of course someone roaming around the hills with an AK or an AR is kind of weird!

16. sharpshooterassassin

sharpshooterassassin New Member

Charging Moose are more common than charging bears up here.

17. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Grizzlies put the crap up my neck, tho, not a moose.

I did have a big bull moose last year who was determined to tune me in one evening up in the mountains. It was getting dark fast and he just wouldn't accept that my voice and even my flashlight were not "moosy". Kept coming with that stiff-legged strut and waggin his head. He got pretty close....I darn near shot the silly beggar before he got wind of another animal (moose?) that came into the same lick and he went grunting off to the side back into the blackness. "Whew", I said. One day we'll have to swap camp stories...:)

18. hq357

hq357 New Member

Yea baby id take this for my alaskan gun 50 caliber pistol the 500 s&w ;)

image-1689419416.jpg

Bear annihilator ;)

Attached Files:

19. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'd much prefer a slug gun or a .375, but I would also carry my FA 83 in .500 Wyoming Express,, far better than a .44 mag, in my opinion. A heavy rifle is the way to go for me, but if out fishing, a handgun in a shoulder holster is a lot better than a rifle sitting on the sandbar,, take both if you can. My friends from Alaska mostly carry .338's and .375 rifles. More than enough for the game they normally hunt, moose and caribou, but they carry heavier rifles for one reason, if they run into a griz that wants to be cantankerous.

20. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Do you have a picture of that canon's holster? :eek:Might as well take a scout rifle with you. Looks just as big. JK:p