AK47 manufacturers?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by PrimePorkchop, Sep 14, 2012.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

If these are newbie questions, please forgive me, for I am a newb to the AK.

My question stems from an observation i've made during my quest for more information...when people talk about AK47s...they don't seem to be talking about the manufacturer...instead I see people talking about the country of origin...

But none of the "gun sites" like buds & CTD differentiate what style of AK47 it is (chinese, russian, etc) but instead categorize them by manufacturer (Arsenal, Century Arms, etc)

Also, what kind do you think is best? My gut instinct, as a total beginner who knows nothing about it, would be to go w/ a "Russian AK" since...well...they started it...and i'm of the opinion that nothing good has ever come from China...

Is there really much difference across the spectrum? I've always thought of the AK47 as a mud gun...simple design, goes boom...i'm not saying i'm right, just my limited view on the weapon...willing to be educated before I buy my 1st.

2. Merican45

Merican45 New Member

Not really sure about what manufacturer is better or country of origin but I have a Russian saiga 5.45x39 and I love it. Really reliable and sturdy and easily modified. Several of my buddies also have the saiga in 7.62 and love it. For the money it's a great buy.

Attached Files:

3. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Thanks! 5.45 dosent stand out to me... How expensive do you find it in your area?

4. Merican45

Merican45 New Member

Got it for bout $450 before everything I did to it. Without my spam cans of ammo I'm about$1000 into it

5. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Apologies I meant the cost of the ammo :)

6. Merican45

Merican45 New Member

If you can find the spam cans online, not too hard, it's about 300-350 bucks for 2100 or so rounds. The only down side is spam can ammo is Russian surplus so it is corrosive so just clean very well after shooting. Other boxed ammo is 750rds for $180.

7. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

5.45 is cheaper for now than the 7.62. And there's actually GREAT AK's that come out of China. Norinco and polytech are good *Chinese*, Id try to stay away from anything imported by century..anything imported from arsenal is usually higher end..stay away from wasars and Nydvek I believe. Idk there's a little info for ya. There are so many varients of the AK out there its crazy.

8. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

Wasr's are the worst things ever made, my father and i both have one for beater ones and i have 3500+ rounds into it without a hiccup. It is however not a bottom barrel, its a GP stamped which is said to be better than others. Also hear good things about the m10-762.

Attached Files:

9. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

OOPS correction ;) above

10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I dabbled a foot in this pond for a moment as well PPC.

I was thinking of more a kit build, so I wanted a really good, quality receiver to start with and then add parts, or a kit, that was rooted on a solid base.

You know, like we would do in the AR world. Mihkail designed it out of a solid piece, milled receiver, not the very common and cheaper stamped steel and rivet set of today. Thus, I wanted to find a milled receiver to start with....

When I started looking around, Sweet Jesus, I was into it $1000 already and I wasn't finished, nor did I have mags and ammo. :eek:

Some light reading if you are interested. I still have the research folder and links on my system, so I haven't officially shot it down, but it's not on the short list any longer. :eek:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MediaPages/ArticleDetail.aspx?mediaid=484

http://www.ultimak.com/AKReceiverID.htm

http://firinglineoklahoma.com/akreceivers.html

http://lancasterarms.com/MILLED RECEIVER PAGE.htm

12. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Recently picked up a Romanian 1967 WASR 10/63 AKM 47 from a gun show at a resonable price. All serial numbers checked out, no canted front sight or mag wobble to report, stamped triangle on receiver, Tapco G2 trigger. Love it. Next up a Chinese drum and a USA Bumpski. :D

13. nfafan

nfafan Member

IIRC; Here are some AKs/AKMs/derivitives of same, that can be found in the USA that came from "real mfgs" - as opposed to assemblers/modifiers of parts kits or other's work. And regardless of calibers....

Pre-ban, some pre-CHICOM bans:

Finn VALMET stamped and milled derivitives
    Yugo Zastavan M70 PAPs
    Hungarian FEG AKMs
    IMI Galils (derived from VALMETs)
    Egyptian MAADI AKMs and hybrid CHICOM/Egyptian MISRs
    CHICOM Generic, Norinco, PolyTech AKMs and PolyTech "Legend" milled AKs, Norinco milled AKs, various MAK90 types

Post-ban years (legally imported as sporters):

Cugir Romanian WUMs/SARs/ROMAKs/CURs/WASRs/M10s/?? AKMs
    Russian SAIGAs
    Russian VEPRs
    Serbian Zastavan "Yugo PAPs"
    Arsenal whatevers
    Low-cap Bulgies
    Polish Archer??

NON-RIFLES and 922 exempt:

DRACO, DRACO-C, Mini pistols
    Serbian Zastavan M92 pistols
    Arsenal? "Krink" pistol?
    Romy WASR22, AKT98, M10/22 .22LR rifles

If you want a true non-USA-made AK with factory barrel and factory recvr, get something from the above lists.

Else, the rest - are typically parts-bin guns - or "evil" modifications of importable sporters - obviously based on VEPRs, SAIGAs, PAPs, and Romys for the most part.

Polski U/Fs, various Tantals, Arsenals, "Bulgy parts guns", Century Yugos, Tantals, milled Polski, and Golanis - are typically Century USA mixmasters or other USA-assemblies from foreign recvrs with mixmaster parts and US or original barrells - like the Hunky AMDs we see with USA parts and FEG recvrs and barrels, and some of the Polish with Polish recvrs and barrels.

Not that these mix-master AKMs are bad - if anything we now have a variety we never had before!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012