ak47 kit

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by tatthehood, May 2, 2013.

1. tatthehood

tatthehood New Member

Ok guys im new to the forums and new to gun building. I was in the USMC for 4 years and the army for 6 soni know my way around a rifle. But in just dont know about these kits. Can someone help me out with some info on these and which ones are the best. I would also like to know what all I would need to buy separate. Thanks in advance for the help guys. Its much appreciated

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Sorry. I can't help. Don't know a thing about AK kits.
    Welcome to the forum.

3. tatthehood

tatthehood New Member

Thanks man. Im really hopinh someone can enlighten me.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Building an AK from parts?

5. tatthehood

tatthehood New Member

Yeah. Like buying one of the kits and putting it together.

6. MisterMcCool

Reviving a demilled kit is extremely difficult. It will require welding.
    Building a rifle from parts is much less difficult.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  7. tatthehood

tatthehood New Member

From what I understand I can get the pre milled? Or am I mistaking?

8. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it wouldn't be hard to do. An AK is pretty simple.

9. tatthehood

tatthehood New Member

That was my thought. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience and advice on the matter. I own 2 sks and I love them. But id like to have an AK for close quarters. My sks are totally nice but its hard to pie corners. but I dont feel like paying now aday prices for the ak. And is like to get expierience building as well.

10. MisterMcCool

Oh. A receiver blank. Go for it. You can do it.
    If you don't have any experience now, you will when you finish.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO68T2RcD-Y[/ame]

11. tatthehood

tatthehood New Member

12. MisterMcCool

That is a demilled kit. It does not include all of the parts you will need. Consider the additional cost of the receiver, barrel, and back plate. But you could put one together. If it gets overwhelming, take it to a gunsmith.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

If a drunk Russian can build one from a **** shovel...

14. tatthehood

tatthehood New Member

So then I could probably build a nice reliable AK for around $400? I know people always say that u get what u pay for but $400 aint ****. Compared to 800+ used in the pawn shops.

15. MisterMcCool

Good Lord! Are they that much now?

16. tatthehood

tatthehood New Member

Yeah man. You can barely get an SKS for 500 now days. Its ridiculous. At least here in NC.

17. longunner

longunner New Member

If I were you I'd wait till the ****storm dies down and wait till all the asshats who paid 1000 for an ak realize they fuc&ed up and sell them for normal (maybe even lower) prices.

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

For the record, I quit drinking and I am not Russian.

Carry on.

I doubt those idiots will sell. On the other hand, AKs are plentiful the world 'round. When the ****storm dies down the parts will no doubt be cheaper. I find it to be much more satisfying to build something up from pieces than to buy it already built.

19. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

While AKs are relatively simple, they are not something that an inexperienced person should attempt. They require many tools in order to do properly.

One being a press, while you could buy the tools, it would be MUCH cheaper to buy one outright and make it yours by customizing

Now, if you intend on building a half dozen AKs, then it may be worth the investment, for just one? I wouldn't. And this is coming from a guy that had the same idea as you at one point.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

20. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You will have a hard time finding a complete de milled rifle. Import of foreign military barrels was stopped so you would need all the inner pars, the front and rear trunions, furniture, etc. then a receiver. Tools you will need would include a hydraulic press, rivet tools, headspace gauges, drill press, and other basic tools. Then finishing can require some other tools, chemicals, or coatings. If budget about $800-1000 for an initial build, depending on what tools you already have. It gets a but cheaper per rifle if you already have all the tools, and finishing equipment and supplies, but for one rifle it can be expensive.