Ak47 accuracy myth

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Abc1911, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Abc1911

Abc1911 New Member

Is it true that an ak47 chambered in 762x39 is really inaccurate? Can anyone prove it wrong? Post some pics of your ak and tell me what kinda groups you can get with it im looking to get an ak! :D but everyone says there crap and cant shoot straight id like to own one but not if it inaccurate like everyone says it is.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

They tend to hover around 2 moa ive seen some that are close to moa at 100yards. Its not that they are innacurate so much that once you get to 200+ yards the ballistic arc takes a serious dive into rainbow land.

The main worry with ak47 is being sure you dont have canted sights. Best way to check is to remove the bolt and carrier look down the barrel from the rear at a distant target and then peep throught the sights if they line up somewhat close to each other in image your good to go. Gun has to be resting on a stable surface.

I rank your average ak47 with the typical out of the box mini14 or low end pricewise dpms/bushmaster type ar15

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

3. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

They're just a large heavy bullet as well as the muzzle climb is fairly substantial as well. Making followups not that great unless you're really dialing in every shot.

4. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I just got done posting this video in another thread.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ObvGgTXZww"]Make Ready with Travis Haley: Adaptive Kalash[/ame]

36 seconds into the video you see a second of him shooting off the edge of a table, iron sights, at a torso target 500 yards downrange. I've seen the video of that, he hits every time at least 7 shots; the group looks to be just over 2moa.

5. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

The question is how many rounds did he have to shoot in order to "find the range" before he does this particular feat?

6. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

Uhhh, I just watched the video and the furthest I saw him shoot was 2 targets at 100 yards prone in 4 seconds. I wish I'd watched the video first before posting my last comment. My son can hit 2 targets at 100 yards with ease in 4 seconds (including moving into prone as the shooter in the video did) ever since completing an Appleseed project shoot last year. Perhaps you posted the wrong video.

7. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Yeah, you have to read my comment.

8. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

You are missing the point of the post. The post topic is "Ak47 accuracy myth" not the "Travis Haley accuracy myth."

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Having actually shot an AK I can tell you the muzzle clinb is not substantial at all. Is it more than the AR platform in 5.56? Yes, but not substantial.

Large-heavy compared to what? The 5.56mm? Sure. Compared to most .30 caliber rifles, it is a light weight.

As to the OP's question; The AK (when properly built) is capable of very reasonable accuracy in the expected operating range of inside 300 meters. I have seen a member's milled AK shoot tremendous groups (about MOA). That gun would smash most people's view of the AK and its accuracy.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

There's the difference. A milled receiver is what was intended, but it's far from common place with this platform.

And the price tag between the two, upon some investigation on my own, is staggering. :eek:

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IMO, the rifle(which was designed around the ammo) wasn't

designed to be all that accurate. Ergo, casting high expectations of accuracy

upon the weapon type is somewhat unfair. It's like saying "Hey, I have heard that

a ton really isn't that heavy, despite a poor reputation otherwise."

The Ammo was designed at the

relative adolescence of full-auto rifles, and when a squad or platoon of Russian

soldiers were saturating an area with hundreds or thousands of

rounds, accuracy wasn't important.

Today's AKM is

reliable and sturdy,

simple,

easy to use and maintain.

If that's not enough, maybe you need to look for a more accurate

platform for the same cost, because extreme accuracy, while

attained by some through undue diligence, generally isn't a large

part of the AKM picture.

In a nutshell:CAN an AK be accurate?

YES, in spite of it's design...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The AK is an assault weapon, not a target rifle. Most combat takes place within 200 yards, and at that range they shoot minute of man, at least; all that is required.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Here's my thoughts on AK accuracy. Can you hit what you're aiming at, at the range you need?

Yes? Great.
    No? Correct yourself.

This is an argument that's been hashed over just as much as 9mm vs .45. It's never ending.

There is a thread where mini owners are comparing accuracy, which seems to be the OP's intent here. That's not just fine, that's great. I haven't seen people posting too many pictures of their targets and stats with AK's. I'm interested to see.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can hit a Frisbee at 50 yards...:confused:

15. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

When I got my AK I took it out just to see where it would hit with the way the sites were off the shelf.

After putting a bore sight on and tweeking the sights with a sight adjustment tool, she is spot on.

If the bad guy is at 400 yards, he will land at the 401 or 402 yard line.

As was previously mentioned, it is an "assault" weapon designed for close in work on the enemy but it can be sighted in to be very accurate. It just take a little patience.

16. Glore

Glore New Member

50 yrds 5 rnds red dot

Attached Files:

17. Abc1911

Abc1911 New Member

Nice what kind of AK is that??

18. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

The ak platform is typically less accurate than the ar and m1a platform but if you get a good barrel and flash hider you will be fine.

19. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

It's like the reliability on ar's, if you bought an ar or an ak 20 years ago you may have experienced these problems but now if you buy either they will be perfect as long as you put a little money into it. Try RJF or US Palm.

20. Glore

Glore New Member

It is an Arsenal sgl21. I changed the trigger, a must do. Im surprised at the accuracy of this rifle, out performed my expectations. I went with the Vortex Sparc red dot. Very pleased with this rifle, im not sure i could have bought a better AK.