Ak vs Ar

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SmithKid308, May 26, 2012.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I would like to here from as many people possible their pros and cons of each firearm and why the like which one better , because I would like to really know what I'm putting my money into thanks

SmithKid

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Lots of advantages to either weapon so begin your research and choose the one for you. In fact why not get both, a lot of us here do, myself included. If I could only have one, the AR is more flexible.

You should do a search here, too. There are countless AK vs. AR threads.

3. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

There's a metric crap ton of threads covering this topic.

But if you're going to be shooting people @300 yards like you mentioned in the other thread you may want the AR.

4. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Agreed, i'm an AK fan myself but if you're looking to reach out to 300 yds AR is the way to go.
    If you search the threads there's an ongoing arguement on this subject. Best advice i can give is try to shoot both and see which one you like better.

5. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I've already shot both and my brother owns an Ar and I never really liked it , but if I was going to get an Ak what would be the best one to get for around 500$-600$ range ? And is the WASR-10 the bottom of the barrel of the Ak world ?

6. PlaysWithZombies

WASR 10s are generally considered bottom barrel, there are quite a few crap WASRs out there but if you find a good one they're great rifles. For your budget i'd probably go with a saiga and either convert it or leave as is.

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Agree with everyone said. I have both and choose my AR over my AK. AR is more accurate & versatile. Get the Arsenal Saiga, pricey but the best quality out there, IMO.

8. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Will that saiga take an Ak-47 high cap mag ?

9. okdonk

okdonk New Member

U meant hi cap as in 30rounds mag? Yes it will. Brand new in box will only come with 5rounds mag. ;(. I had to buy 3 steel mags from Midway. Dont buy the cheap Tapco mags, i had FTEs. Some people have no probs with Tapco mags, maybe it was just me.

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Then why would you ask?

If you like the AK get one, I like them a lot. I would like to spend more time w/ them but always end up grabbing an AR.

A WASR isn't a bad choice but is generally not regarded as the highest quality. A converted Saiga @ $499 is a great value. Arsenal LV converted Saigas are you're better non collector level AR. They run around $800-$1k. Rifle Dynamics is probably the most well respected builder around. Take a look at their site. It'll give you a better feel from the range of available AKs.

11. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

And what other Ak are there that I dont have to do a conversion on because I've helped a friend do those and they are a pain

12. PlaysWithZombies

There are all kinds of options out there, check out arsenals' website (sorry don't have a link).
    Have you considered buying used? A lot of people turn their noses up but as long as you get thorough information on whatever used rifle you find it's a good option.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you don't want to convert a Saiga then look at the WASRs in a LGS. If you can pick the best of their stock you should get a good one. I've had my WASR going on five years and no problems, great rifle. Of course there are higher end solutions but a good WASR will do what the others do.

14. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

And what is the difference between an Ak-47 and Ak-74 ? Is it just the caliber ?

15. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

16. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

AK big bang less accuracy more expensive ammo - uncivilized.

AR less of a bang, more accuracy less expensive ammo - civilized.

:D

17. PlaysWithZombies

Where are you getting 5.56 for less than 7.62x39?

18. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What is the general price difference between Ak-74 and Ak-47?

19. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I wonder how did you even manage your friend to do the conversion?. As seems like you have got much more to learn about AK. Which is fine, that's why we all are here, to learn and guide each others.
    But please no offense, try to knowledge people after answering each of your questions aka manners. No offense! Do you know what i mean?

20. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Yeah I see what your saying man no offense taken man