AK vs. AR (and all the possibilities)

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by jjasonjames, Nov 15, 2012.

1. jjasonjames

jjasonjames New Member

I am in the hunt for a useful rifle for self-defense. I have researched quite a bit over the last two weeks. I think that there are useful traits to each platform out there, but my REAL question is this:

If I buy a new semi-auto rifle for self-defencse/home protection, am I going to be able to get sufficient ammunition to put back for it?

I would appreciate anyone's input on availability and cost to help me decide which is best. OR should I just hedge and try to purchase more than one rifle to follow a changing supply/demand.

What do you folks think?

2. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Rounds for either platform are widely available right now and are probably goin to be produced for the next 30 years. 7.62 is a little cheaper than the AR rounds.
    Also for the price of a cheap entry level AR you could buy yourself a pretty decent AK.
    Both platforms are tried and true and its a matter of preference really.
    I myself like guns that are simple and reliable and deffinitally favour Aks. I could go on and on that's just a little of my opinion.
    P.S, welcome to FTF!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

3. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

AK's are cheaper. And ammo is a little cheaper. But there not as accurate but you can beat the snot out of them and they will still fire. But it's like asking what's better a ford or Chevy haha.

4. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Tula 7.62x39 ammo is commonly found for $5 a box of 20. I've used the 122gr HPs in my iron sighted AK, shooting a 3 shot 2moa group.

That is the extent of my experience.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My local Walmart carries tula in 7.62 and .223 both run $4.97 per box of 20 . Take ur pick :D

6. jjasonjames

jjasonjames New Member

So, what you folks are saying is that it's not that much of an issue. The choice is based on other characteristics that are purely what I want in the weapon itself, and that I shouldn't worry so much about it!!

(laughing) Thanks a lot.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The AK is a decent gun for rough use, close up defensive employment. It is cheaper, more crude, teh ergonomics are not that great, but with a lot of practice, mag changes can become fairly smooth and even fairly quick with some more advanced techniques. With the AK you are kind of stuck with what you have as far as caliber and role goes. However, there are now rails for optics, forward handgrips, newer muzzle brakes, and synthetic furniture.

Where the AR excells is in the areas of modularity and ergonomics. Mag changes are much faster, smoother, and more intuitive than the AK. The ability to pop out two pins and swap uppers gives the AR a versatility that the AK does not have. You can have a precision upper witha match barrel and scope on it, and with a simple swap, change it to a lightweight carbine with fast handling characteristics and in a caliber that uses subsonic rounds for more subtle work. The ability to swap other parts is also usually a bit more simple with the AR, especially in the area of barrels. ARs can be swapped with hand tools while AK barrels are pressed in with a hydraulic press.

Accuracy is better with the AR, but for a defensive rifle, both platforms possess enough to get the job done.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

good ar15 magazines are a lot more readily available and cheaper than equivelant ak mags. magazines are the weakpoint of any repeating arm.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I stocked up on East German mags several years ago for $9 each, that are super durable.

I also noticed that I didn't say that if you want simple and not a lot of distractions, the AK is quite a machine. Most folks just can't seem to keep an AR simple, but they can be quite nice in raw form too.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  10. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Honestly it's not a bad idea to have both the AR and AK. I'm committed to the AR but have to say it's fun to take out my AK once in a while.

Also it's smart to be knowledgeable with both platforms since 5.56/.223 and 7.62x39 are commonplace and relatively the same cost for steelcase. It doesn't have to be "either or". If not, try to handle and shoot both platforms and buy the one you prefer.

As far as AK magazines, I bought my AK over 5 years ago so like SSGN_Doc stocked up on cheap surplus magazines over the years. I haven't checked lately what AK mags cost but if any lightweight mags are reliable I'd like to try a couple. The good things about steel AK mags are reliability and toughness, the bad thing is weight (about a pound more than an AR mag).

12. scottmac

scottmac New Member

There are also a number of rifles that use the same AK-style action that are built for better precision. The Galil, Sig 556 ( in 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308), and Valmet, for example.

Very reliable, good precision...(higher cost, of course)

13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Ak's are historically famous for its reliability. You can bury one in mud, water, sand, or 'garbage of sorts' for days, pick it up and begin shooting without mishap.
    That's reliability! ;) With a 75 rd Chinese drum attached to its mag well it becomes a 'street-sweeper' in any shtf scenario close to home. AR's are known
    for its accuracy via long distance, and also for its availability for 'window dressing.' ;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  14. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

I would also argue that an AR can be built to withstand the same. Just an opinion, but I give my AR's hell. Probably more than I should given what they cost. I've had my throw around rifle in mud, water, dirt, sand, etc. and she has never failed in any way. I do always try to clean her up afterwards though.

15. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

What kind of home defense are you talking about? EOTWAWKI?... Or daily just in case? If its the latter, get an 870 express with wood furniture and learn to use it.

Lord knows, I'd hate to have to explain my actions to the police and DA, when they're holding up my Bin Laden looking AK, or Aurora movie theater looking AR.

That's the reality of it if you take a life to defend yours. You will have to explain your actions.
    I'd rather say someone broke in so I grabbed my ol' duck gun to save my life.

None of this applies if you live in Texas. Get a bazooka.

16. jjasonjames

jjasonjames New Member

Lol. Appreciate the thoughts fellows.

Yes the 870 is a great thought. Thought about that as well. I guess I have decided pretty much to get acquainted with all and maybe purchase all to have several platforms available.

Never know what the future may bring.

17. jjasonjames

jjasonjames New Member

Different subject I suppose, but what do you folks think about the colt le6920s that Walmart sells?

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Great choice!

19. WhaleNoises

WhaleNoises New Member

What is EOTWAWKI?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  20. WhaleNoises

WhaleNoises New Member

This is the same question I asked myself, and I came to the same conclusion that Quentin came to. I had the same problem with hand guns as well. Glock is like the AK of the hand gun world, but im not a fanboy. I ended up getting the Glock for use as a tool, I carry a Glock. when I go shooting I shoot my Sig more for fun. With AR vs AK, I like the AR more, but the AK is still accurate up to 300 yards or so with iron sights in my opinion. If im shooting more then 300 yards I might as well be using my R700 in .308. So I shoot my AR for fun and my AK is a tool I keep with my year food supply.