AK questions

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by flybuddy, Jul 24, 2013.

1. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Just got my first AK47...It's an M70 OPAP, arrived yesterday from J&G. Cleaned and lubed it and then took to range today.
    To sight it you have to have your cheek against the back end of the dust cover. My right cheek is pretty sore after just one mag--what can I do to improve this?
    Had a little trouble getting mag to seat and chamber first round both on the metal and the plastic tapco--any trick to this?
    Odd side rail for optics--looks like expensive rube goldberg looking mounts must be used. Has anyone simply attached a rail to the top of the dust cover?
    Looks like 2 flathead bolt countersunk under the dust cover should work for attaching one. thx for any info.

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Try putting your cheek further back on the but stock, can't put a scope mount on the dust cover as it moves around to much and therefore no accuracy.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

there are some replacement dust cover mounts but they are far far far from solid.

marc pretty much nailed your issue. back off a little and should be good to go.

most ak buttstocks are built for the average rooskie who tend to be a bit smaller than the average american so they have really short length of pull.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Also the short legth of pull on eastern block stocks is to accomodate heavy clothing. So a pad on teh shoulder may get teh stock out a bit more for you. Also, if you move the butt in toward your midline a bit more it may improve your cheek weld.

teh side mount rail is not bad when you use a mount that was designed for it. I personally like the idea of a red dot sight that sits further out on the gun.

5. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Your sore cheek is from sighting with too short of a stock, the original wood stocks are made for the short shooter. The US shooter is way too long of a neck to shoot comfortably with this short stock. Here is a way to add length to your stock & they sell a cheek rest too.
    http://www.thecountryshed.com/sks_accessories.htm
    Go down the page to where is says E&L Stock Extensions.
    If your AK has a side rail use it with a mount like this, it will become your best friend.
    http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/136-AIMS-MK004S.html
    If it doesn't something like this could help there are a bunch of differant styles out there.
    http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/136-AIMS-MK005T.html
    or
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/how-to-scope-your-ak-47-texas-weapons-systems-hi-lux-cmr-ak762/
    If you put a good scope on your ak you won't believe the difference it makes. :eek:

6. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Thx guys, great info!!

7. dlh2689

dlh2689 New Member

When I shoot my AK I tend to bring the butt stock up a little higher on my shoulder than I do with my other rifles. This puts the butt stock closer to my face so I don't have to lean into it as much with my cheek.

8. mt6green

mt6green New Member

Put a UTG model 47 stock conversion kit in it and you won't have to do that. It allos the use of any AR adjustable buttstock an drops it down a but lower to bring the sights up higher with a standard shoulder placement. But you may not like the look, just thought I'd tell ya. I did it and put a magpul ctr stock on it and the sight picture is much easier to acquire and its more comfortable, plus I can adjust my length of pull.

9. bambam

bambam New Member

I just purchased my very first AK-47. I need you to tell me if I got an old clunker or a good one. I love it and think it is amazing !

The AK says GOLDEN STATE ARMS DISTRIBUTORS, INC
    MANHATTAN BEACH. CA
    AK47S 7.62X39MM
    MADE IN CHINA

It has everything ! The cleaning rod, The cleaning accessories hidden in the little butt stalk compartment- all the numbers match on all the parts. It is really cool because I didn’t know AK’s were so amazingly built.

So since I don’t know anything about AK-47’s or what country made the good ones, I need you to tell me if I have a Mercedes's here or a Clunker lemon?

What say you ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  10. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

The average Russian is 6'0, Serbs on average stand about 6'1-6'3.

Perpetuating the myth that the short length of pull is due to shorter height is not true and a tale from the cold war that spawned because someone said "communists don't eat as much, so they're shorter."

The short length of pull is there because these weapons come from regions of the world where it gets very cold and thus equates to the use of very thick winter clothing, anyone who has had to use a rifle in winter will understand.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the truth boils down to heavy winter clothes and not shorter height.

11. dyslexic_llama

One of the first import companies around 1984 which makes your rifle pre-ban, complete with accessories and matching numbers too?

I would say you have a Ferrari there!

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It seems to me more Oriental countries have used the AK rifles in the past 50 years. The Chinese have the largest Military in the world and they are used in very tropical conditions. These are not primary shoulder weapons. These are close range urban warfare arms. They were intended for auto-firing from the side. :)

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats true of one small portion of soviet russian empire of the time. thats like using jersey to say most americans talk funny.

russians always build to the most common denominator. during the ww2 time average height of a euro was 1.5m. thats why bdc in soviet sniper rifles are set to 1.5m in the 50's and later in the 70's they changed to 1.6 and finally 1.7 and 1.8 when their main threat turned to be the USA.

spend anytime with a mosin or sks they are all geared to shorter lop i shoot mine all year long even in extreme cold wearing thinck clothing its a very short lop.

anyway its not myth the average soviet soldier of the cold war were pretty small compaired to today.

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Dyslexic llama
    I'd like to see where you got your biometric data from.

15. dyslexic_llama

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_height

Assuming Russia is the same as the US, with comparable average heights of 5'9-5'10, when in reality closer to 6'0 on average because testing pools are usually quite limited to a couple of thousand and not truly representative of an entire population.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

To OP - the dust cover aka "pencil box" is not a great base, especially for magnifying optics. The side rail, while not native to the original infantry rifle, is the only reliable base that will hold zero for your AK. You can choose a hybrid picatinny-top console, or an integrated east European scope.

17. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

The OPAP (3rd gen) is supposed to use double stack mags (versus the earlier models that had to be machined out to accept them, as well as change the bolt) so poor machining could be ruled out. Cant really come up with any other reason for the problem.
    Sounds like you do need to alter your stance tho, your cheek shouldnt be up against the dust cover. An add on pad would help also.
    The dust cover is a poor place for optics, as has been said. Not sure if theyd fit, but there are railed upper handguards that can accept red dots and such. May or may not be any more secure tho.
    Ive heard that the OPAPs are very good rifles but that they wont accept standard furniture, i dont know for sure. May or may not be an issue for you.

18. whiteydale23

whiteydale23 New Member

The Yugo OPap M70 stock is much longer than the standard AKM stock. It's LOP is 13.5

19. whiteydale23

whiteydale23 New Member

The O-Pap LOP is 13.5 which is much longer than the standard AKM also it's stock is not compatable with the standard AK. They are a breed of there own. Build like a tank and accurate as hell with that RPK reciever!

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Dyslexic llama-

An average male in today's Russia is 5'9". In the past he was much shorter. Continental Europeans also used to be smaller than Americans for generations. The average German POW in the aftermath of the D Day was 5'6" tall, according to the War Department stats. Sorry to tell you, you made too many assumptions for a myth-busting statement.