AK or Saiga Rifle?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by HawkI, May 10, 2010.

1. HawkI

HawkI New Member

I was looking to buy an AK-47, but ever since Obama said the words "gun control" I've seen the prices on those rifles double to around $600 on average. I know that Izhmash makes the civilian version of the Kalashnikov called the Saiga (not to be confused with the Saiga 12 shotgun). I've seen Saiga rifles go for a little over $300 not two days ago online and they are probably even more affordable at a gun show. I'd like any feedback from AK and/or Saiga owners on the similarities of the two rifles.

Answers I'm looking for about this rifle are these things:
    1. Is the Saiga as durable as the AK?
    2. Are magazines for these rifles interchangeable?
    3. What sort of modifications can you do to a Saiga (optics, pistol grips, stocks, etc.)?
    4. How accurate is the Saiga (I'm planning to buy one chambered in 7.62x39 mm)?

Any other feedback would be appreciated. This rifle will not be for self-defense, but rather recreation and the coveted "SHTF" scenario.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I own a few AKs and (so far) one Saiga (7.62x39) so far.

The Saiga is a Russian AK modified to more of a "conventional" look. It does add the complexity of an extra trigger linkage due to the location of the trigger.

The Saiga uses a proprietary mag that is similar to, but not the same as, an AK mag. ProMag makes standard capacity mags for the Saigas.

Many people convert the Saigas (be mindful of 922r requirements) back to full AK, but I like them as they come. I prefer the ergonomics of the Saiga to the AK.

Accuracy with mine is excellent, even though the sights are marginal at best.

Saiga has a side rail for various optics mounts.

Reliability is the same as an AK.

Buy a Saiga and you will not regret it. If you need an AK, convert the Saiga as funds allow.

3. RMPrecisionGuns

RMPrecisionGuns New Member

If you are going to get a 762x39 then you need to go with the AK. Century arms if your looking for low cost reliable and traditional, or Arsenal if you got some extra money and want a BAD to the BONE AK. Now days you can get AR stocks on AK's and Quad rail systems. You can trick out an AK anyway you want now days. The BEST bang for your buck is going to be a Century Arms AK and purchase a $15 Recoil buffer that you insert behind the pistol spring, small cheap mod makes shooting it feel smooth like buttah! Trust me i sell BOTH the AK and the Saiga on my site but i OWN an AK!

4. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

I have .308/7.62X51 version of the Saiga. 22" barrel, Monte Carlo Polymer Stock. I love mine.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  5. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Is 7.62x51 more accessible compared to it's smaller counterpart 7.62x39?

6. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

Saiga magazines cost more than AK ones.
    Just get the AK unless you want a 308.

7. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

From what I've seen, the 7.62X51 is harder to find AND the extra magazines are more expensive.

8. HawkI

HawkI New Member

A tad off-subject, but is the 7.62x51 the NATO equivalent of .303 British?

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

No.

7.62x51 is the NATO standard .30cal. It is very similar to the .308Win, but not identical.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The Saiga is a great deal if you don't want to modify it. But if do want it to look and function more like an AK then it's easy to spend a couple hundred or more depending how far you want to go.

Really, it's hard to beat an entry level Century WASR-10/63 for around $400. I've had one four years now and still love it. You can spend a lot more for more quality but you quickly start reaching the point of diminishing returns.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Century also has the M70's if your tastes go that way. I've had both the WASR and the M70 and both are really good riflers to me. Some don't liek the underfolder as much...I really like them though. I still miss my WASR though :(

12. SWCC1979

SWCC1979 New Member

Personaly,I would go for the Saiga.I would consider cost when comparing apples to apples.Going with the Saiga could save you a couple bills.In case there is a "SHTF" scenario,wouldn't you rather have the extra ammo?I mean,all in all,It's just as affective on the receiving end.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I agree completely. The savings will pay for a case of ammo from AmmoMan, or several ProMag magazines.

14. HawkI

HawkI New Member

That's what I always thought. Even a friend of mine who had never seen a Saiga before said "Looks and sounds just like an AK."

15. RobDennis

RobDennis New Member

I had both a siaga and a AK. the only difference is the Saiga hand guard is different and the trigger group and butt stock is different placement. otherwise the action and receiveris all AK. You can get a Saiga for 300$ and do a conversion for about 120$ if you are technically inclined.

16. Frank_kastle

Frank_kastle New Member

I dont know how to start my own thread yet so I'll ask here....I have a saga 7.62 issue and need assistance.. Can anyone help? My rifle won't cycle at all...the bolt won't fully rotate and close after trying to chamber a round... The carrier stays open about a quarter inch. It closes fine when not chambering a round...and I've tried it with and without the bullet guide...this is a fully converted saiga

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Inspect the chamber and the gas tube, clean if necessary. Try another magazine just in case.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  18. MPFIREARMPHOTOGRAPHY

MPFIREARMPHOTOGRAPHY New Member

[​IMG]

I love my Saiga IZ132Z wouldn't trade for the world. 7.62x39 uses ak mags and came from rwc converted. Has a bolt hold open and just need to thread the barrel I love this gun

19. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

Buy a Yugo (M70, or NPAP) you will not regret it.

Given today's political climate - on any import semi auto anything - buy it TODAY

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

20. austin92

austin92 New Member

I would start with cleaning everything thoroughly, including the chamber. Take the bolt out of the carrier and clean everything that rotates and slides, then grease it all lightly. Check the gas tube and piston for obstructions. Your recoil spring could b worn out, replace it if cleaning doesn't help. Was the gun purchased brand new and had this problem out of the box?