Ak or rpk

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by cllowe, Aug 9, 2013.

1. cllowe

cllowe New Member

Help me decide. I have decided to buy a ak and was wondering if I should get a standard ak or a rpk? Any info? Is it worth the extra 250?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

to me, no. regular ak with a drum does everything a clunky heavy rpk does and you get the mobility of the ak47. now if your talking rpd... thats a whole other animal

3. Grizzdude

Grizzdude New Member

I have the Maadi rpm, it's pretty nice and i can get first round hits at 350 yards on a steel plate the size of a sheet of paper.

4. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Get a regular stamped receiver AK if a longer sight radius is not important to you and you want a lightweight, comparatively speaking, carbine. The Tech Sights solution for the AK gives you a longer sight radius and "improves" accuracy (really just gives you a more user-friendly sighting system).

What are you going to use it for, target practice, hunting, busting dirt clods, SHTF, or Chinese invasion?

If full auto target practice is on your agenda, RPK.

If hunting, Tech Sights equipped AK or SKS.

If busting dirt clods, AK.

If SHTF, AK.

If the Chinese invade, RPK. You'll need all those extra bullets in the magazine that the liberals are so afraid of. Hell, you'll need extra bullets you couldn't carry on a truck. Start thinking in terms of rail cars.

5. cllowe

cllowe New Member

Both mags are same right?

6. kbd512

RPK's were designed for more severe firing schedules than automatic carbines, like belt-fed machine guns. That'd be why they have heavier barrels and thicker receivers.

You can use RPK drums in AK's and AK mags in RPK's if that's what you were getting at.

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

If we are talking semi automatic fire ( and I assume we are) I see no reason to go with an RPK over a standard AKM, unless you are going for that cool factor... There really isn't any benefit at all, just extra weight.

8. cllowe

cllowe New Member

Ak it is. Went to a gun shop to see if they had a rpk and found a new ak with rail, saw grip, and adjustable rear sights ( windage and elev ) for $650.

9. kbd512

Good call.