AK or AR

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by militaryman, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. militaryman

militaryman New Member

ok i have been in the military for almost a handful of years now. i have been shooting before but never got the chance to own and because of my situation with the military style living i have not been able to own since joining. I am about to re-up i wanna take some of my bonus to but an AR (cuz thats what ive been shooting) im comfortable with it, i know the weapon, i can hit a target from 500yds with iron sights (you should be able to guess the service, haha) however i hear so much about AKs. whats going to be my best option?

2. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

Right now, I would have to say AR. That's where you are the most familiar and proficient. I am sure you have limited funds and can't do both, so go with the one you know, for now.

3. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

ok Devil Dog ... sounds to me you've already made up your mind. But if not and you take a look at AKs, check out the 74, a real sweet shooter.

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Yea of you have training on the AR I would say that's your best option.

---Shoot To Thrill---

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Here we go again...Get both. Start with the AR and get an AK. They are only 4-500 bucks.

6. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

Oorah! Ok killer first off semper fi. Second I love ARs but have one AK. The 7.62x39 round has far superior Knock down/hydrostatic shock value however the ballistics are basically linear to that of a 30-30. With the Ak you also have to look at why it was built, bc soldiers of the red army could not effectively shoot on target while in combat this(the Ak) allowed a spray and pray. However the AR as you already know is a highly effective rifle out to longer distances. AK=125yrds AR=550yrds(point target) someone's going to quote this and yell how I'm bad mouthing the AK, let me assure you I'm not, I own one, I'm simply giving you facts. Plus after you've had that rifle shot at you you gain a respect for it. You've been living in the barracks, huh? Go with the AR, in my opinion, I shoot mine in alit more volume than I do the AK plus it was nice to go to the range a week before qual and get practice in. however which ever you choose I'm sure you'll be happy with, semper fi Marine.

7. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Not saying your bashing the ak or anything,because your not.but I'd give it a bit more credit than a spray and pray gun. It'll hit man sized targets out past 125 yards all day you just wont be stacking bullets or anything,and I'm sure 1940's Germans would disagree that soldiers of the red army couldn't shoot on target. Russian snipers killed almost more enemy than all other snipers combined IIRC. Although they weren't using an AK to do it lol

---Shoot To Thrill---

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd get both, a cheap AK and a quality AR. In fact that's exactly what I did.

If you can't pull that off, how about a $400 AK and a stripped AR lower since you know the AR and could do a bang up custom build. Just don't buy any old cheap AR. The AK isn't necessary but I bet you'll be glad you got one, even a WASR 10 like mine.

Thank you for your service to our country, militaryman!

9. orangello

orangello New Member

What about an AR in a different caliber, like .308? The complaints i hear about the AR are the small size of the projectile and the incompatibility with cheap dirty ammo. Get a big AR & buy decent ammo.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Prom queen or school slut....take ur pick.

jk, in all seriousness, if you are a more precision oriented shooter and love to tinker and modify your guns. AR. If you want something that shoots cheap ammo, aren't into shooting over 200 yards, AK would probably be a better fit.

11. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Since your already familiar with the AR platform, stick with it. The AK is reliable, true, but that's the only plus on my book. The AR is more precise, modular and more easily adapted to mission-specific gear, and despite what everyone loves to say (most being armchair quarterbacks or know it all mall ninjas) the 5.56 is an excellent round. It's the same as people comparing the 45acp to the 9mm, making it sound like the 9 couldn't do the job but the 45 only takes one shot. 5.56 is an excellent round, there is no such think as "knock down" power, it's all about shot placement.... And I feel that the AR could place the shot better than the AK, especially since you are so well versed with it. Go with the AR.

12. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

get a WASR 10/63 like i did. some are hit and miss but the one i got is 100% dead on. $500 for it

13. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I think your claim about there being no such thing as knock-down power only applies to handguns,which don't reach sufficient velocities to achieve hydrostatic shock. Rifle loads do and I think this is really what so called "knockdown power" is,when hydrostatic shock and the larger permanent wound channels that come with are factored in I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to assume that a rifle load can put someone down with less than great shot-placement. Even if you don't hit any Big vitals if you put a big high velocity rifle bullet in someone the hydrostatic shock and the really big temporary wound channel could very well bring someone down.

That's just my opinion though,don't have any fancy data to back any of it up. But seeing the temporary channels rifle cartridges can make in ballistic gel I think that all that going on in someone paired with the high ft/lbs of energy delivered could probably put them on their ass if they were even the slightest bit off balance.

---Shoot To Thrill---

14. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Get AR first.. as you are more familiar. Then get AK whenever u have more funds. I prefer AR than AK.

15. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Get a mini 30, it's what would happen if an AR and a AK had a baby..

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

ARs are faster, lighter, more accurate, more adaptable, have better ergonomics, etc.

If you are interested in the x39s characteristics but want an AR look into the .300 BLK. The round has similar characteristics as the x39 in an AR and uses all 5.56 parts except the barrel.

17. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Except the damn ammo is expensive and hard to find..

.223 and x39 is cheap

18. JSDenson07

JSDenson07 New Member

That was the snipers usually equipped with a mosin not the ak though. I like the AK I have and gave it credit out to 125yds but I also know I just dropped two yotes at 299&317yds respectively with my "budget" AR. As far as a spay and pray gun I swear thats why the gun was invented, however that bring said does anyone know if the AR EVER passed arctic testing...

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My buddy has a AK I have a couple ARs, after shooting the AR he has finally brought himself to building him a AR. the AK is fun and it would surprise me if you could ever get it to jam , but precision shooting is not its thing I was good with it out to about 150 yards , Im alot more comfortable shooting the AR out to 300-400 and hit what Im aiming at . Really its a toss up but if your looking for more lead I also would go with the AR .300 blk , 300 is about its max but its still accurate out that far
    I would like to own a AK but I still have 2 more lowers to build before I go down that road :D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Not true at all in fact .300 BLK factory new brass ammunition is cheaper than even WalMart white box stuff and even the cheap .300BLK is made from much better parts like bullet and case. .300BLK has a much better selection of ammunition as well. Everything from purpose built sub-sonics to barrier blind super-sonics and specialy designed hunting rounds.

The ammunition is not hard to find you just have to look. The biggest on-line retailers all carry it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.