AK jams

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by .22hustler, Feb 24, 2009.

1. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Can anyone here offer some advice as to the jams with my sons new AK. It's a WASR3 in 5.56..It was purchased new, in the box from a reputable dealer.It's been cleaned, cleaned, and then cleaned again with little success.Gas ports are all clear, piston is clean, operating rod is not bent etc. The jams he is experiencing are not your typical mag jams.. The spent round will not come out of the chamber, and the next round is hitting the base of the spent round. We cleaned out the chamber using a piece of scotch brite pad on the end of a rod, chucked that up in a drill, and cleaned with carb cleaner.It seemed to fire ok, but we took it out again today and it was a great single-shot again. We were using Wolf .223Rem, steel-case.. before someone tells us to use 5.56, we tried that also. It was worse with the American Eagle brass 5.56. It's back at the gunsmiths right now, and the smith said if he can't get it to go, he's going to send it back to Century.. The extracor is also working correctly, no burrs or junk under it. My son is so disappointed in this rifle he doesn't want to continue with this hobby. He's tired of all the problems.. Any help is appreciated.

2. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Aw why doesnt he want to continue?
    If he wont continue, I'll be gladly to take that .410 SXS :D

S.S.

3. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

That little .410 stays here!!! If you want a nice sxs, I saw 5-7 of them for sale!!!

4. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Ahh. I'm going friday or saturday to look for .410 pump actions. :D

How much is it going to cost you to get the AK fixed?

S.S.

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Really sounds like the extractor. I guess the smith will have to determine.
    Century isn't exactly the greatest, but generally the knock on them is canted sights and cosmetic stuff.

Tell the kid these things happen, not to be discouraged. The fact that you guys got to rip it all apart and play with parts gives you both a leg up on many who own these guns and haven't the foggiest how to disassemble, let alone clean one.

6. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Ya, he's plain p+ssed off, but I had to remind him that out of the 6 guns he has purchased in the last 10 months, only the AK has been a piece of crap..

7. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Hopefully it's going to be a free-bee. The gun is still new!! And the smith told us to bring it back... We'll see!

8. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Well, I hate to be the spoil sport here, but I had the exact same issue with my WASR 3. I cleaned the gun really well before shooting it. I would put about 40-60 rds. through it and then the exact same thing would happen!

It would fail to extract the brass from the spent round and then load a live round into the back of the spent brass. I would extract the rounds, and clean the chamber. I was shooting Wolf ammo (55 and 62 gr.), and Remington 55 gr. (just to see if Wolf was the culprit). The same thing happened with the various ammmo types I used. I used all kinds of cleaner on the rifle chamber, barrel, etc. I used a brush to scrub it as well, to no avail.

After I let the rifle cool down for a bit, I could fire about 30-40 more rounds before the FTE nightmare continued (and it did).

The gunsmith couldn't figure it out. He replaced the extractor spring, and still.....FTE after 40-60 rds.!!! This drove me NUTS! I love AK type rifles, and read about WASR 3 issues on a bunch of forums. I heard all kinds of "solutions". I used Weiger and Weiger Romanian clone magazines (not converted AK74 mags.).

A friend of mine heard my rants and said that he thought it was just a case of the metal contracting/swelling due to the heat, and the metal being of poor quality. The tolerances of the 5.56 rifle seemed to be much tighter than the 7.62X39 ones. So, after much annoyance and disappointment, I traded it in.

I hope that helps!

I love the gun, but had to get rid of it. I traded it in for my XD 45. I still want to get an AK type in .223 or 5.56. I'm thinking of a Galil "Golani". They look pretty cool.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Sounds EXACTLY what our problems are!!! If it doesn't work after the visit to the 'smith, it's going down the road, IN A HURRY!!

10. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Who did you buy it from?

11. Shadow555

Shadow555 New Member

That's the problem people when u buy cheap knockoffs and then claim all AK are crap. Romania doesn't have a right to copy Russian gun in the first place. They did't invented, Russians did. Buy Saiga or Verp for your son, and u will see how happy he will be:)

12. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

Have you looked into trading it in for another one? A WASR 10 (7.62X39) is still at the bottom end of AK clones, but it will be a reliable shooter.

13. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

We got the gun from a very reputable dealer, it's there right now. If he can't get it going, he's going to ship it back.

14. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

I didn't claim all AK's are crap..I said this one was.. The reason we bought it I know AK's are a reliable weapons system.I've never seen a bad one; if there were any problems most could be attributed to a bad mag.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The key term in this thread is "Century". The monkeys at Century are infamous for taking proven weapon designs and screwing them completely to hell. Before you get frustrated with the AK series, get your money back and buy one from a reputable maker. Century occasionally, accidentally makes a good weapon. Dump the POS.

16. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

I think you're 100% correct..We have a Norinco SKS and it's the best thing this side of mashed potatoes. Even with detachable 30rd mags, this thing flys through the ammo.

17. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Honestly, your best bet is to return it to Century and have them send you one that was made when their angry chimp of a gunsmith wasn't drunk.

You could also send it to one of the AK-smiths floating around these days. Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics is back-logged, but he does outstanding work...

18. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

In my limited experience with firearms, being a US Army armorer, I believe the chamber is too "tight". When we first got the AK, it would only cycle one round before jamming. I used a piece of green scotch-brite pad on a .22 brush and chucked that up with a piece of rod into a drill. Using carb cleaner, I scrubbed the chamber out for about 5 minutes. When we next took the gun out, it dumped all the ammo out of the mags.Fired great. But now we're back to the same old problem. It doesn't like 5.56 american eagle at all, but wolf seems to run through it with a minimum of issues.

19. BSmith

BSmith New Member

WASR3 jammer

Greetings,
    My WASR3 does the exact same thing. I have cleaned and cleaned the chamber, action, extracter, etc,etc,etc. Doesn't matter what ammunition you use. The empty does not stick in the barrel, as it can easily be pulled out.
    My son has a WASR3 that has no problems. We did some experimenting and here is what we found. I traded the gas rod, carriage bolt, from his to mine and found that My gun would fire A OK. It would not leave a shell in the barrel after that, but it did leave the AK kiss on the spent cartridges. When I used My gas tube with his carriage bolt, I had the same problem with leaving the empty in the barrel and racking another round into the back of it. This does not happen every time, but at least 3 to 4 times per 30 rounds. I doubt if it is a gas port problem, as it grabs another shell. I also parted with the crappy Century Mags and replaced them with Weigers. Wow, what a difference in quality. I have ran approximately 275 rounds through it. I also polished the hammer. The gun cycles really smooth. I would be highly interested in what the gunsmith does to cure the problem. Keep me posted.
    Thanks, Bud

20. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

It sounds like a tight chamber. American made ammo (brass) expands more, and quicker, to grip the chamber walls than does the cheap steel cased, laquer-coated cases. As a result of this greater expansion of the brass, extraction is more difficult, particularly if there is any laquer residue on the chamber walls from the steel cased ammo. This can cause "stuck" cases, which is why most American AR manufacturers advise AGAINST the use of steel cased ammo. Additionally, because steel does not expand as much as brass, the bolt face gets pounded with each shot fired. The best solution to keeping your son's interest is to get him an AR-15!!!