AK guys help me out

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by purehavoc, Jul 18, 2012.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Give me a little bit of Ak info here guys. Im a AR guy but I would like to jump into the 7.62X39 round and from talking with others about it the AR platform doesnt work the greatest with the AK round .
    What brands should I be looking for ? what is a decent price ? advantages from one manufacturer to another ? Anything else I should know about it ? I will probably leave it in stock form . I dont care if it has a folding stock or a fixed no biggy as it will just be another battle rifle to add to the collection

2. navysully

navysully New Member

3. navysully

navysully New Member

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

In a nutshell, the M43 round had the SKS and AK

pretty much designed around it.

I can't recommend shooting surplus M43 through

any AR or other type of semi-auto.

So you may want to also consider getting an AKM or

SKS. I prefer the SKS, generally they are built better...

5. Nihilist88

Nihilist88 New Member

If you're an AR guy, just get a cheap 7,62x39 upper. I have seen them and shot one. They are fun coming form an AR-15. The intermediate round of 7,62x39 is in fact a great round. I go to Walmart here in NKY and I get boxes of Tula for $4.97. Cheap and fun round to shoot, but I will always prefer my 5,45x39 over it.

6. Nihilist88

Nihilist88 New Member

But, if you are looking for a reliable and very good base of an AK. Get a Yugo. They sell them on Centerfire systems for about $500-700 dollars. I will be getting the AKM one here soon. I have a Hesse which look out for they are not the best. I am currently re-building it. But for AK's I stand by the WASR from Century Arms. Atlantic firearms sometimes has great deals as well. Post pics on whatever you get.

7. glockzombie

glockzombie New Member

Anybody have opinions on the Saiga 7.62x39 AK?

8. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

This really depends on what you want the rifle for.

If your looking for an entry level rifle to get into the world of the AK,or just for something to 'have',then a WASR is fine.

If your looking for a weapon that might be something you might use to defend your life with,a WASR is still fine (gotta love that about the AK lol) but you might want something a little nicer like from Arsenal.

I don't know about the AR shooting the 7.62x39,but being that the cheapest rounds you'll find in that caliber are Russian/Eastern European made and tend to be a little dirty at times,I wouldn't expect a stock impingement gas system to like it very much.

If you can find a SAR-1 in decent condition,thats what I shoot.

They're good and shouldn't break the bank.

9. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

Russian,Chinese and Egyptians are the best a little harder to find and cost a lil more .That being said i bought a Century AKMS 7.62-39 Polish underfolder with a U.S made barrel,reciever,trigger and pistol grip a few days ago for 550.00 . I've ran about a hundred rounds through it @100 yards about a 3inch grouping. No issues so far

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  10. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

Just going on what I've read The Saiga is the closet thing to a actual Russian AK available to the U.S market

11. glockzombie

glockzombie New Member

Nice, thanks for the reply.

12. me762

me762 New Member

I converted my saiga myself on the kitchen table of a crappy apartment with a drill dremil tool and a punch and hammer. Get a saiga convert it and you wont regret it. The only thing that got me sweating was drilling and tapping the trunian for the bullet guide. I used a drill press for that but after doing it I can't say it was hard

13. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

Look up Krebs custom guns. They are built on Saiga receivers.Very high quality

14. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

How about this one?

http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/id/58572/name/mm-inc.-m10-762-semi-auto-ak-type-rifle

15. Robbie762

Robbie762 New Member

Any reports on the American made IO, Inc. AKs?

16. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Saiga *IS* russian . Made by the same izmash factories that have been producing AKs almost since the begining of that model production.

17. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Ak is a toy , can be used for others stuff but if you want a accurate 762x39 then pick you up a SKS , I have 3 a russian , yugo and norinco , the nornico it a strap to the atv then throw it in the turck bed for a few days , its my utility gun
    my russian is fully loaded and still had packing straw shoved in it , thats my 2nd long range gun under the 7rem mag and my ak was a sidefolder but now its a fix but very reliable not accurate AT ALL