AK Furniture Refinishing

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by ARnoob, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Guys, I'm starting an AK wood furniture refinishing thread. I'd love to see pics of everyone's work. Here're two sets I recently finished.

Set 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

3. ak47dunner

ak47dunner New Member

Great job man. Looks awesome!

4. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks! :)

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

That does look gorgeous, I love it.

6. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

7. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

And I just about had the "AK bug" outta my system!!

Nice job...really nice.

Guess I'll start lookin for a friggin' AK now!!

8. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Ha! The AK bug is a "sickness" that doesn't go away. :D

9. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Here's some more AK furniture goodness!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I'm an absolute moron re: woodworking, so I apologize if this is a dumb question....

How do you get that "cherry" hue to the wood?

11. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Not a dumb question at all. That cherry hue comes from a combination of factors. It's a mix of red dye, garnet shellac and the laminate wood itself gives off a "glow" when finished. I hope that helps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  12. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I have seen very few AK's with furniture as nice as this one. Great job on it.

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yep, thanks. I knew it wasn't just any old stuff, looks too unique. Gives it that "Russian red". :)

14. Blaine

Blaine New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJAS8Q90mo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJAS8Q90mo[/ame]

I just refinished my Mini-Draco front furniture.

15. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

IF I still had a wood stock on my rifle I'd probably be re-doing the furniture in that redish-hue commie style. Unfortunately I need a longer LOP so I have an adjustable stock on my "boolet hose" WASR-10.
    I did redo the furniture at one point, but it was poorly done and was an expirment for the most part to see how dark I could get the wood, I still have the fore-end on the gun, but its there just until I can find that black-laminate fore-end and the money to get it.

16. pslman

pslman New Member

17. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Got this Romo a while ago, been putting off doing it. This post reminded me I have to do something with it.

It's been totally painted green. I was hoping it was a cheap spray paint. I shot a few mags through it to see if the paint would melt off, it didn't.

I figured I'd replace the wood & redo @ a later time. However I got to get the paint of the barrel & receiver.

I have 3 questions.
    1) any suggestions on what to use to strip the paint off.
    2) will I have to redo the bluing?
    3) Or am I just better of donating this Bubba to the ATF for there next "fast & furious campaign"?

Attached Files:

18. pslman

pslman New Member

Wow, that is...well..green..!

I would try something like mineral spirits on a small area perhaps inside the receiver. If it works I'm not sure how it will affect the parkerized finish underneath provided it's still there of course. If you can get the green off and find the original finish partly/mostly intact you could simply degrease and apply high temp engine enamel. I've done a couple Romy's that way which had bare spots in the finish and had good results. If the green doesn't budge I would consider making it camo if it were mine. :)

Of course this is the redneck way of going about things. I'm sure others here will have better suggestions for you. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  19. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

It all depends on how good the parkerizing was before you put the paint on. Paint adds a layer, the same way parkerizing does, so any abrasives to take the pain off may do the same for the parkerizing if you're not careful. Chemically removing the paint is much safer to the parkerizing since its more resistant than paint may be (depending on what kind of paint you used).

To be honest a full gun bead-blast and parkerizing isnt all that expensive and can be done well by any decent gunsmith with a beab blast cabinet and parkerizing set up. It may just be less headache to have someone redo it for you.

20. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

When I took this Romo on I promised myself to redo it myself. That makes me sad.
    I really have no idea what is going to be left of the parkerizing under the paint. I have a feeling it's not bad though because it really had not been fired much. (could be wrong though). I was just wondering if anyone had tried a specific brand for the chemical to try to remove the paint.

If all else fails I'll do what pslman was saying. I'll camo it myself. It's already green I could probably just take a black Sharpie marker and give it zebra stripes.
    (just kidding).