AK barrel

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by thanson, Jan 8, 2013.

1. thanson

thanson New Member

Can anyone recomend an pressed in US made barell for 7.62 under 150.00 dollars?

2. thanson

thanson New Member

anyone? what about green mountain?

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Green mountain makes good black powder and .22 barrels. Imagine they would make a decent AK barrel if they offer one.

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

From what I understand Green Mountain makes the barrels for Century's AK's that they put together.

5. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

6. thanson

thanson New Member

"still need the hand guard notch. Retainer pin cut needs to be made after parts are fitted. The gas port hole has not been drilled."

Assuming I have to take the barrel down to my local gunsmith to have this work done, Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a barrel already ready to go? I am not a gunsmith so I do not know how much work or time is required for doing these things.

7. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Good luck finding one "already ready to go" that is why it is called building not assembly.

The hand guard notch can be cut with a steady hand and a dremel. The retainer pins & gas port hole will always need be cut to your parts.

8. thanson

thanson New Member

:D I wasn't trash talking the barrel, I appreciate the help.....I was more or less asking If I myelf would be cappable of doing to the work myself.

I assume there are jigs or fixtures I can buy to do the gas port hole myself but I don't know about the retainer pin notch.....looks like most people cut them on a Mill at a machine shop? or is there a way someone can do that at home too?

9. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

The gas port hole can be drilled by a hand drill after the gas block is pinned in place with a long gas port drill bit.
    http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30051
    The .223 & the 5.45 barrels need to be drilled first then assembled because the gas port is 90° to the bore & you can't drill through the gas block.
    If you have or buy one of these small drill presses you have everything you need for drilling & reaming the block mounting pins.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html
    The hand guard notch I cut with a dremel & then finished it with a round hand file.
    Just trying to let you see that it can be done at home & if you take it slow you can make it look as good or better than the factory made guns.

10. thanson

thanson New Member

Thanks for all the info! And thanks for the link to the drill press, I will see about getting ahold of one. I have a dremel, precision measuring tools, basic tools exct... I took your recomendations and bought the romanian barrel. Looks like they are a few weeks behind on sending out orders but at least they have in stock...